The Golden Compass: Brass Alethiometer Project

bookbinder3

I have contacted a few local (and not so local) brass foundries about getting the film version of the Alethiometer cast in brass, and thought it might be worthwhile seeing if there was any desire here for the same thing. Please note, however, that this is really a research thread, as I have nothing yet to sell.

I really think casting the Alethiometer in real, solid brass is what it needs to feel really authentic. The painted base-metal of the Noble replica just doesn't do it for me.

I intend to use a combination of the Noble replica and the plastic toy for specific elements. The Noble replica has better finials around the outside, for instance, but the toy version has the complete latiny text around the rim which the Noble replica, strangely, doesn't have.

I am not nearly ready to offer anything for sale yet, but what I currently imagine will be on offer is the outer case in the form of the bottom bowl and separate lid, the three knobs, the ring at the back and the brass internal disc (behind the hands). These will be mostly unfinished, ready for polishing and assembling as you see fit.

I hope to use this thread to pool our collective wisdom about the props and current replicas, and see what can be improved with this one. I am not sure how much interest there will be, perhaps you are all happy with your Noble Collection pieces.

So...what are your thoughts?

Thanks for that! Those should be very useful. It seems that the most expensive part of casting in brass is making the mould. Once that is done, the actual castings should be surprisingly inexpensive. I've been quoted £20 each for the bass and lid. I'm going to compare the toy and the Noble replica with these pictures some more...I'm coming down on the side of the toy being a bit more accurate in several respects.

I've been playing around with an idea for one of these for a while, though I didn't list it in my to make list here because I've not seen the movie version, and I rather liked the version from the book cover illustration I saw. I was going to tinker with a mechanism based on dowsing rods to achieve the effect of 'functionality'.

ps. casting the body from brass could be vary expenssive and heavy. I would say embossed or spun thin brass sheet might be cheaper, and lighter. Or even brass plating something.

Part of the reason I don't intend to offer finished replicas is because I know there's some love for the novel illustration version of the alethiometer. I have periodically looked online for old watch and clock parts that could be used to make one, but I can never find any sort of case the right kind of shape and size. I think I may use the novel version of the symbols for at least one alethiometer, and you guys can put your brass parts together however you see fit.

I don't think cast brass of that size and thickness will be excessively heavy, there is a lengthy and informative documentary on the 2 disc DVD of the film which shows how the props were cast in exactly the manner I hope to replicate. If I was content with brass plate, I would get my Noble Collection replica plated, but I don't think that will be enough, and it won't make up for it's other flaws. With regards to cost, as I say, the most expensive part will be making the moulds, after that I have been pleasantly surprised by the inexpensiveness of each casting.

The idea sounds good. I think it would be a cool replica. I would want it to have some functionality. (but I forget what it did in the movie...do the dials turn?)

There are three knobs on the outside of the case that turn three hands (like watch hands) inside. There is a fourth "needle" that is supposed to move independently, controlled by dust. Both the plastic toy and the Noble replica attempt to simulate this with a spring loaded spinning action, which I think sort of establishes it as a toy (it's the like spinner in a board game) rather than a mysterious device. I certainly hope to allow the functionality of the three controllable hands, and have the exterior knobs cast separately to allow this. The difficulty of creating some sort of movement in the fourth needle is another thing I intend to leave up the individual. I'd be happier to let if float about freely than have it tied to a spring mechanism.

hmm...it would be difficult with all the other hands to have the fourth hand be a real COMPASS. Pointing north.

hmm...it would be difficult with all the other hands to have the fourth hand be a real COMPASS. Pointing north.

Yes...I don't know how much of an effect other metals in close proximity would have...it might give it an interesting movement...not so easily recognisable as pointing to north, or render it silly and motionless. I once read about someone intending to power theirs with something that could measure electromagnetic activity...I think.

Well, its a pretty big device - you could plausibly stash a small Arduino board in there with a motor and either a sensor or just a random setting. I actually think doing the face in good enough quality is going to be the hard part....

Would love one of these! Have never found a replica yet that really did it for me, I think being such a book fan has made me a bit picky ;) Would love to see how this develops!

I've just spent some time examining the two replicas I have and comparing them to eachother and to the reference pictures we have. There are a few extra/fewer lines here and there, and some shaping issues with the Noble replica. I thought the toy version had the correct Latin text around the outside, but of course, I look closely and find neither has it right. I've made contact with the artist who created the original 3D CAD models for the prop on the off-chance he will be willing to help me out with files I can get rapid prototyped. Otherwise, I'll be looking into fixing some of the issues I have with the Noble casing. Perhaps with a wax model?

Last edited:
Has there been any further work on making a brass replica? I've been toying with the idea of making one for myself and have been collecting reference. I would love to see what you guys have done since this last post.

I just found this thread thanks to Mmammel12's post, this morning. My face lit up. I love this series, and would be really interested to see any progress, as well.

Actually, 15 grand USD.

It's on my "Lotto List" ... like a bucket list, but all the stuff I'll buy when I win the Lotto.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back