New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

So I had seen these in stores countless times (Best Buy and the Think Geek store) and never even bothered to inspect it or had interest in getting one because it said "universal remote".
I figured their first priority was to make a functional remote device which usually means accuracy tends to suffer.

It wasnt until yesterday that i read up on this remote and discovered that its arguably the best mass producrd replica of a phaser (according to hard core Trek fans) to date, and even includes functuons which surpass the expensive MR replica, is made with metal and comes with a badass case.
I immediately ran to the Think Geek store today to pick one up and just as it always happens they had none in stock (they had them in stock every single other time I saw them).
Its as though the forces of the universe knew I was now interested in purchasing.

I ran across the street to Best Buy which had 2 in stock.
Couldnt be happier.

Communicator is next.
You grow in wisdom, Grasshopper. :p

IIRC, the remote function has more to do with customs laws than any serious attempt to market it as a TV remote. If you call it a weapon replica, some countries would raise issues and restrict its trade; not so much if it's labeled and declared as a TV remote.

I find the remote function nearly useless, but as a prop replica it is quite nice!

Man am I glad I'm not alone there. The phaser and sonic screwdriver don't see any use as a remote in my hands but the communicator gets some serious action for personal calls, conference calls, blue tooth speaker for radio apps while my phone is charging...

Man am I glad I'm not alone there. The phaser and sonic screwdriver don't see any use as a remote in my hands but the communicator gets some serious action for personal calls, conference calls, blue tooth speaker for radio apps while my phone is charging...

I'm also glad to know we are not alone, I have yet to use any of TWC's products for their intended use. They are just too good as prop replicas.

I'm also glad to know we are not alone, I have yet to use any of TWC's products for their intended use. They are just too good as prop replicas.
That's what warms all of my various cockles so much about the comm. It's only a replica on the outside. :D

Has anyone drilled a hole in a P1 to accept a vintage watch crown? Are there any important bits just under the surface there, or would it be better to just glue the crown w/o drilling?

I have and chrisisall is correct you don't need to drill all the way through. I marked the drill location then used a bit in a pin-vise to drill down just deep enough to accept the watch crown. Alternatively, you could use the tip of a sharp X-Acto blade and twist it/spin it around to make the hole.

Dave

The stump on the back of the crown is very short, it doesn't take much of a hole. Use a hobby knife to make a guide point so the drill won't wander. As mentioned a bit in a pin vise is all you need, no power drill.

Anyone have any tips for disassembly of either the P1 or P2? I think I read they were sonically welded, is this true?

I'd really like to swap the P1 trigger for an aluminum one.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

As I remember, yes. Some used a wide flat square xacto and slowly broke the seal if I remember. The details are in here somewhere.

Anyone have any tips for disassembly of either the P1 or P2? I think I read they were sonically welded, is this true?

I'd really like to swap the P1 trigger for an aluminum one.

As I remember, yes. Some used a wide flat square xacto and slowly broke the seal if I remember. The details are in here somewhere.
Thanks, I'll keep looking for more info. It's too bad about Photobucket, so many useful images are being held hostage.

The parts I polished on my phaser still look great. I polished the nozzle barrel, dilythium crystal clip, the bands along the side of the P1 and the fins in the back of the P2. I think I posted how somewhere way back in this thread. The only part I had a problem with was the thin metal clip in top of the P2 in front of the P1. It's got some sort of paint finish that just scarred up and didn't take a polish.

I did all the polishing on the assembled phaser, masking off the areas around the parts to protect them. I seem to recall someone popped open the phaser bodies and discovered they were sonically welded together. So you won't be able to just snap them back together. Splitting the case might also trash the electronics.
If you keep working at it, that finish on the top piece will eventually come off. I ended up using some 800 grit sandpaper to get the stubborn areas cleaned up.

Slightly off topic, I've been trying to find some photos documenting the disassembly of the Wand Phaser, and I heard that I should look into the Trek Prop Zone.

I've registered for an account, and it's been several days. How long does it usually take to get a membership approved?

Thanks for any help!

I'm also in the market for a more accurate grip for my Wand P2, I was looking at the Stapleton version, anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks again, my Trek knowledge is nowhere near my Star Wars knowledge, but I'm still a sucker for these TOS props!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back