Replicating A Latex Dog Puppet (Triumph The Insult Comic Dog TeamCoco)

insultcomicdog

I own some vintage dog puppets made by Mask Illusions (a company then went out of business in the early 90s). Their qualities range from from mint to having s few holes/cracks. I was wondering if there's a way to make replicas from these puppets, before they disintegrate due to age.

Spares.__teamcoco__animatronics__arduino.jpg

My first idea was to scan a puppet with a high definition 3D scanner, and then 3D print a master positive mold. I don't know if scanning would have enough fidelity or what to do once I have a positive mold. Anyone have any tips or build links on how to go about creating a replica from an original latex puppet like this?

Good idea Apollo. Should I just post a link to this thread in sculpture and make up effects? Don't want to step on anyone toes for cross posting.

Aw! You beat me to it, I was hoping to make one of these for Halloween either this year or for next. I can't find any of these puppets on my own, so I thought I'd sculpt one.

For your situation, I recommend getting a pvc or cardboard tube that you can fit the puppet over, and either using plaster or silicone, make a mold of the puppet and use urethane rubber to make a duplicate (be sure to use a good amount of mold release spray for either options). It should last longer than latex but if you're so inclined to make a exact duplicate cast in latex, then I recommend using the plaster option, as silicone and latex don't mix.

In return for the provided information, I require payment in the form of photographs of your most minty of puppets from the sides, top, bottom, front/back, and the inside of the mouth for reference when I sculpt my own.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips PoopaPapaPalps.

I'm going to fill the puppet with a poster tube and sand to keep it's shape, then hang it upside down in a bucket. Will coat the outside of the puppet w vaseline or mold release spray. Is this safe on latex? What's the best product to keep the plaster from sticking and is safe on latex? Will I lose resolution with Vaseline? I will then pour plaster of Paris around the outside of the puppet. When the plaster is set, I will remove puppet and I will then have a negative mold. Then I will spray the inside of the mold with mold release spray. How do I ensure the entire inside is coated? It's a tight space especially around the inside of the mouth. I will then pour liquid latex into the mold. What's the best way to ensure the mold is coated completely and even? Will pour latex a couple times to build up some thickness. Once the latex is set, I should be able to just lift out a cloned puppet (in theory). Will post pics once I have materials and start this project. I've never worked with molds, but I'm excited to see it this will actually work.

That may work but my advice would be instead of using a bucket, I would build a box so you can cast the plaster in two halves, that way you can ensure even coating of mold release and should have an easy time de-molding the latex clone. Then it's just cleaning up flashing afterwards.

Something like this:

From my working with latex, you want to brush your first layer in all the nooks and crevices to get all the details. All layers after that are roto/slush casts of the latex until it's dry. You could just brush the rest on but I always found that roto-casting gets more even results but, you'll just have to season to taste. Just remember for either option, remove the latex slowly and use talc or corn starch to keep it from sticking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting ready to build my 2 part mold box with foam core and hot glue. My plan is to trace the outline of the puppet and cut out the profile from foam core. I will use this board as the basis for my master mount to save on clay. I will use clay to fill in the gaps between the puppet and the foam core. I will then use silicone rubber w 10-20% thinner to make a skim coat over the foam core and clay to have a nice clean seam line. Then after silicone cures, I will add acorn nuts (for registration points), spray generous amount of release and pour 1st half of plaster. Once first half of plaster is cured, I will flip over box remove foam core, skim coat of silicone, clay and acorn nuts. I will spray this side with release and pour 2nd half of plaster. This should complete my two part mold.

Does it matter what axis of the puppet I use for the seam? I was going to lay the puppet on it's side, so the seam will runs right up the middle of the head if you are looking at it head on. Hopefully the flashing will be easy enough to clean up if I have a clean enough seam line.

What about a pour spout? Should I leave a hole that is the diameter of the puppet arm hole (about 5cm) in the mold for slush casting? Or should I make a funnel shaped opening that extends into the arm hole opening?

For the first detail layer of casting, do you brush on both halves while the mold is open and then close both halves together before the rubber has set? Then apply slush casts after that?

The biggest question I have is what material are you going to be making casts of? Are you going to be pulling casts from a rubber or latex, because the latter will not work with silicone.

I should have been more clear. The two part mold will be plaster. The casts will be urethane rubber. The skim coat of silicone is used to get a nice clean seam line, and gets tossed before casting.

MattgomeryBurns I never got beyond the planning stage. This was more of a preservation project for myself. If others are interested that might be the motivation I need to get it going. I got side tracked w a 1:1 BB-8 droid which was a whole can of worms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just searched around for anyone selling one of the Mask Illusion puppets and saw some of the company's other work...I'm not surprised they went under, that stuff is nightmare fuel! That being said....I want one, hehe.

MattgomeryBurns I was watching that auction too. They hardly ever come up and when they do it's way beyond budget. The ones I have are in better condition than the one that sold. I think I'll make a go of a two part plaster mold soon, to see if it's possible to cast in latex. Will keep you updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back