Clear Coat Mistake Question (Help, Help)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a really nice bust that I spent three weeks painting. I was very pleased with the work so I clear coated it. Unfortunately I clear coated it with GLOSS (it's a long story) and I hate it!! I do not want to sand it all off and start completely over.

The queation is how do I dull the gloss without destroying my painting work? I really, really don't want to start over. I thought about applying FLAT clear coat over itto see if it will dull it any, but I'm not sure if that will work. I also thought about sanding it with really fine sand paper to see if I can dull it without damaging the paint.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

I had the same problem with a mask, I used the same product in flat, and just applied light misting coats untill I got the desired sheen. No sanding needed ,assuming it's for interior display. Light coats, same brand finish, hope this helps.

Overcoating the original won't be a problem as long as you use the same type of paint. However, I would still recommend that you spray a sample first to check compatibility otherwise it could be a disaster!
If you don't mind me asking, why did you overcoat it in the first place?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back