ALIENS - Massive 1:8 Scale Project. (Battle diorama)

Oneminde

Good evening fellow scale model builder. To them who followed me in the Tron Legacy tread where I planed on building the Flynn's Arcade, due to the sheer physical size of the project and limited space, I cannot atm go any further with that project, however, something I've wanted to do for a long(er) time is to build models from ALIENS, so here I am, planing - properly - a very large scale battle diorama.

Atm, the plan is to manufacture by order:

1. Caterpillar P-5000 Power Loader in 1:8 scale According to the info I have atm, this one will be 37,5 cm (14.76") tall. The source tells me that it is 3 metre in 1:1 scale and I will check this as I move further into the build.

2. Sculpt Ellen Ripley:
she is 182 cm tall IRL meaning the 1:8 scale will be 22.75 cm (8.95") tall.

3. Alien Queen, the mother of all mothers: She will be roughly 406 mm (16") tall. This is based upon the Polystone version which also is 1:8 scale.

4. M577 aka APC: This one according to the specifications in the "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" is 9,22 m (922 cm) and in 1:8 scale, this is 76,83 cm long.

5. UD-4L Utility Dropship: This one is 25,18 metre long which means that in 1:8 scale, it will be a whooping 209.83 cm.

​6. Bishop.

​7. Sulaco Cargo bay area.

This is a massive project and will take a long time, probably several years, but not that anyone is complaining... lol. After all, being a sculptor and scale model builder is a passion and lifestyle. I will share as much as possible with you and if you have material that is useful for me, hesitate not to contribute.

As of right now, there is nothing to publish which is kinda unusual, but it is what it is. Soon enough, my work will be published.

Have a nice day.

Lets start with the CAT yellow. This picture shows a good representation of that colour. The one in the middle is original CAT yellow (modern) and likely the one used on the P-5000

2yellows.jpg

Which should correspond to RAL 1018

4193.png

Which should correspond to:

Model Master Acrylic Yellow Zinc Chromate
Testors 4851

model-master-acrylic-yellow-zinc-chromate.jpg

Any comments on this ????

I am going to use another reference here. These Mortar Round's are painted with Model Master / Testors Insignia yellow and that looks far better than Zinc yellow. There is a hint of orange in the insignia which zinc yellow does not have, there is a greenish tint to it.

IMG_2152.jpg

Side by side, the insignia does look closer to the CAT yellow used on the P-5000.
model-master-acrylic-flat-insignia-yellow-fs33538.jpg
model-master-acrylic-yellow-zinc-chromate.jpg

Well, massive is not the word; it's going to be a behemoth by the sound of it;) Suscribed! Love Bigature!
LOL, that is certainly one way to describe it. I know one thing for certain, I need to move before I build the Dropship ... ha ha, but that is another time and another problem. Now is the time to focus on the P-5000.

Had a blast checking out Alclad's product range. Got to get me some .. *cough" I mean every range of metal, its so useful and then there is the range of gloss to flat clear coat.

Yes indeed (TFS those pics). And the Hot Toys power loader is also a very good ref to have;)
Yes it is, but the price on the S.C version is beyond accepteble - it ranges between $1000 - $6000,- or more. But I would like one yes, possibly borrow one for a time

Great news. Just won an auction for a Halcyon 1/12 scale Power Loader. I hope it is a proper licensed product so that measurements can be within 95 % accuracy. Really looking forward to this package.

A two meter Dropship! Wow! How big is the cargo bay going to be?
I have no idea atm and it is probably a few years away, so its a problem for the future :rolleyes The Power Loader, Ripley, Queen Alien and APC will keep me busy for a long time, so the Dropship and Sulaco is not a problem. I am planing to build the complete interior for the APC, so I figure there will a few thousand parts or so.

Kewl and thanks for the photos. But isn't that 1:4 scale ? I am about to purchase the ALIEN - ANTHOLOGY BOX (BLU-RAY) (6 DISC) to get access to the behind the scene material and considering the Aliens: The Official Movie Book even if I don't have a clue if its worth it (?).

Moving on. I found the material so I can manufacture proper rubber tires. No solid resin acceptable there :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back