Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

Thanks for sharing, samh3ll. Gives a good representation of what it would look like with all the others pieces.

So I was looking at the battle jacket trying to figure out how and what pouches are removed or altered. I started with the small mag pouch on the right shoulder and noticed how small and fitting is was to the mag. If you notice on the battle jacket they are only 2 small pouches on both sides of the chest. For the FR version the one on the right has some type of aluminum case inside one, kinda like a Altoids case. The small pouch on the left side seems to be removed to make room for the knife. That pouch would most likely be the one used for the small mag hold on the right shoulder. What looks like a Beretta mag. Only thing is I'm not sure if they did indeed use that same pouch or if they got it off another South African type rig. When you put a mag in that pouch it is clearly too tall and too wide.

Here's a test shot with a Glock 19 mag and the flap folded in out of the way.

DSC03438_zps349fe205.jpg

When comparing pictures to the FR version it's clearly smaller and better fitting. I'm just not sure if they cut it up to shrink it down to fit the mag or if they used a pouch from something else all together.

Here are some observations I made though.

Jacketmagpouch_zps9855826f.jpg~original

JacketmagpouchCompare_zpscadb9453.jpg~original

As you can see there is double stitching on the pouch too while every other pouch on the rest of the jacket only has single stitching. Not sure if that's to reinforce the seam if they did indeed just use the pouch already on the jacket, or if they used it from something else that already had the double stitching.

Here's how the pouch looks pinched tighter.
DSC03443_zpsa35e2b28.jpg~original

Also take note of the flap that is attached to the FR version. If they indeed just used the same pouch and just altered it to fit, why would a shorten flap be present? The flap is not attached to any of the pouches on these jackets but on rig itself, so it's a bit odd to carry it over.

One last small observation.
jacket_zps6dc91ee6.jpg~original

Anyway let me know what you guys think about all this.

I also noticed the boot on the exploding Mercedes photo looks different. Like a lightweight assault style boot. Oakley, Magnum, SWAT etc. different from the heavy weight Stitchdown sole boot stomping the gas pedal

For those that already cut sleeve off jackets do you have any suggestions on length and position of the longer portion on the arm and how it is stitched/riveted back up as the rag holder like in MM2?

FuryRoadTin.png
Any suggestions toward identification of this item? Military issued tin: first aid kit, survival kit, gun cleaning? Perhaps something else, small radio, etc.?

It looks like there's another Beretta 92 type pistol mag under the left shoulder tubing bundle.

The ammo in the AK mags looks longer/thinner and pointier like 5.45x39 AK 74 ammo than the 7.62x39 M43 round used in the AK 47 and it's mags.

I'd love too. I can't really let go much.
I did come on to the job late - in the last few moths of preproduction as Assistant Properties master and was there for the full duration of the shoot in Namibia - and there were already so many talented people making so many AMAZING props and vehicles that I feel I can't take credit for the title as I usually would.
I can say that the second field vest/jacket overlaid on the wardrobe - the one featured for much of the trailer - was one of my creations and I'd be happy to answer any technical questions about it, as long as we don't go into too much story telling.

I'd love too. I can't really let go much.
I did come on to the job late - in the last few moths of preproduction as Assistant Properties master and was there for the full duration of the shoot in Namibia - and there were already so many talented people making so many AMAZING props and vehicles that I feel I can't take credit for the title as I usually would.
I can say that the second field vest/jacket overlaid on the wardrobe - the one featured for much of the trailer - was one of my creations and I'd be happy to answer any technical questions about it, as long as we don't go into too much story telling.

Arlo, thanks for posting! You are just the guy we need to talk to lol. I love the look of the battle jacket so kudos to you for creating the look for Max, and thanks for confirming that the knife is indeed a Chris Reeve as we suspected. I'm just curious what was altered on the battle vest from it's original form and what items does it carry. Like what type of clear hose is on the shoulder and what is that tin looking container that is sticking out on one of the pouches. Also the pouch that holds the pistol mag that's on his right shoulder, is that pouch originally from the battle vest and just moved and altered, or did it come from something else and stitched on. The smaller pouches on the battle jacket seem a bit too big to fit a pistol magazine in its original form.

Arlo, you are a lucky man!
Is the leg panel/holster combination a Condor in black? Or is it OD?.
Thanks a lot again.

I was thinking the plate might be sprayed with truck bed liner. That would make it look a bit thicker.

I have a SADF 83 vest on the way and a South Beach MM2 jacket. Might have to go for the XL with some custom work as the jackets a little tight.

Here's a couple photos of the "Max" shirt I picked up for $6 at a goodwill store. I'll weather it and cut all the seams off later. It's a cotton waffle weave knit of the thicker type made by Firefly

02C3A22D-BCA7-4032-BD24-20CE625B37A8_zpswrj5py3n.jpg

8FA7CFB5-29BC-42E0-87E1-874D44CFFBA4_zpsk3nzj7ir.jpg

I was thinking the plate might be sprayed with truck bed liner. That would make it look a bit thicker.

It is undeniable the plate is considerably thicker. I was actually contemplating spraying it with Plasti-Dip, but a liner spray would seem more appropriate.

Looking at the modifications to the vest, I am leaning toward the magazine pouch which was removed from the left shoulder strap (to attach the knife) may have been attached to the bottom right of the vest to hold the two rifle magazines pictured there. I just have not been able to identify the modifications for the additional pistol mags behind the shotgun shell carrier.

It is undeniable the plate is considerably thicker. I was actually contemplating spraying it with Plasti-Dip, but a liner spray would seem more appropriate.

Looking at the modifications to the vest, I am leaning toward the magazine pouch which was removed from the left shoulder strap (to attach the knife) may have been attached to the bottom right of the vest to hold the two rifle magazines pictured there. I just have not been able to identify the modifications for the additional pistol mags behind the shotgun shell carrier.

I still think the shoulder plate might just be wrapped in leather and weathered giving it that texture. They could easily reshape it with foam giving it that thicker look and wrap the leather over it. Just a guess though, we'll find out sooner or later. Also the vest/jacket already has the pouches for the rifle mags attached to the bottom right on a unaltered one. The pouch that gets removed for the knife might just get scrapped. I did notice though that on the bottom right mag pouches there is some mod there to also fit shotgun shells.
mad-max-fury-roaddetails_zps8e00611a.jpg

Last edited:

Alright guys. I think I may have found the boot Max wears. Under Armour Valsetz Tactical Boots. Here's a compare of the features.

Boots1_zps0ca56d1e.jpg

Without the lines. You can see how the sole details are exact.
Boots_zpsf5f90c31.jpg

They also come in black. (Pictures are of left foot here)
yhst-36514181351291_2266_27354857

1224003b_sole.jpg

Last edited:

I think you've nailed the boot comic guy. I wonder if Max kicks the other war boy Slit? Off the car in the sandstorm and loses his. I wonder where Nux gets a new boot later on?

Also the vest/jacket already has the pouches for the rifle mags attached to the bottom right on a unaltered one. The pouch that gets removed for the knife might just get scrapped. I did notice though that on the bottom right mag pouches there is some mod there to also fit shotgun shells.

I have a South African tactical vest. I can tell you the bottom right pouch will hold two 30 round rifle magazines in either compartment. It will not hold a standard 9mm pistol magazine without dropping it down inside. Either something will need to be shoved into the bottom to hold the magazine up, or Max is carrying 30 round 9mm magazines.

Taking the screen shots down to my local gun store today, they identified the magazines as one Beretta-style magazine and one Uzi-style magazine. In the last photo, the magazine on the right is the Uzi magazine; identified because the manner in which the rounds are stacked more side by side instead of staggered above each other like the magazine on the left which is the Beretta. They had one of each which I photographed with my cell phone, so they are not the best. I am in contact with a local collector who will be able to loan me the magazines which I will load for a better example photograph in the pouches which I will post as soon as possible.

If the original pouches mounted in that location are used, besides the shotgun shell carriers (elastic) being stitched on by hand, and the Velcro and top flaps removed; there is something behind the pistol magazines pushing them forward as the pouch is large enough to carry 4 total and all the photographs available to date only reveal 2.

RightMagPouches.png20140906_112918.jpg20140906_113256.jpg20140906_113309.jpgRightMagPouches2.pngRightMagPouches3.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back