Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

I'll certainly be watching this thread closely, and contributing when I can.

Two things to note:
1. I believe the shoulder plate Max uses is indeed the same vintage Rawlings plate as in the previous films, just slightly modified. In the film it actually looked like maybe it had some textured paint on it.
2. I have already started plans to try and have a very good replica of the Fury Road jacket available. I'm slowly building a database of details that need to be replicated. This thread will be helpful for that. (The jacket will require a lot of hand stitching and distressing, so it may be a bit more expensive than the usual, but still could be done within a price range fans could afford).

Oh, other random notes:
Max changes his gear several times within the film, so there will be a lot of options for people who want to be "screen accurate".
The padding under his shoulder plate is different in this film.
His leg brace is completely different (and is going to be a pain in the ass to fabricate).
His right boot appears to have the exact same studded harness aka boot bracelet that his old boots had.
This movie does not exist in the timeline of the other films (per George Miller).
If we can confirm with 100% certainty which knife he carries, I'll cast up a con-safe rubber version of it for folks (even if it does indeed cost $300 to buy one. That's not much more than it costs to get a really accurate boot knife from MM2).

We've got almost a year to get these outfits together before the 2015 Summer con season. And we'll need the time. :)

2. I have already started plans to try and have a very good replica of the Fury Road jacket available. I'm slowly building a database of details that need to be replicated. This thread will be helpful for that. (The jacket will require a lot of hand stitching and distressing, so it may be a bit more expensive than the usual, but still could be done within a price range fans could afford).

Oh very nice!! Can't wait.

MR I feel like we may of talked before, perhaps in a different universe. ;) Hahaha.

I'll certainly be watching this thread closely, and contributing when I can.

Two things to note:
1. I believe the shoulder plate Max uses is indeed the same vintage Rawlings plate as in the previous films, just slightly modified. In the film it actually looked like maybe it had some textured paint on it.

Oh, other random notes:
Max changes his gear several times within the film, so there will be a lot of options for people who want to be "screen accurate".
The padding under his shoulder plate is different in this film.
His leg brace is completely different (and is going to be a pain in the ass to fabricate).
His right boot appears to have the exact same studded harness aka boot bracelet that his old boots had.
This movie does not exist in the timeline of the other films (per George Miller).
If we can confirm with 100% certainty which knife he carries, I'll cast up a con-safe rubber version of it for folks (even if it does indeed cost $300 to buy one. That's not much more than it costs to get a really accurate boot knife from MM2).

We've got almost a year to get these outfits together before the 2015 Summer con season. And we'll need the time. :)

I was wondering when you were going to post in this thread :). I spoke to you last year in PM about your awesome MM replica costumes. I was considering getting a south beach jacket at the time and wanted some feedback, not sure if you remember. Anyway, thanks for those notes. Can't wait to see the Fury jacket!

I noticed the texture too and the rounded shape it has along the side vs the flat the old ones has. I'm thinking the side was reshaped, maybe with foam and then the whole plate wrapped in leather. Hard to tell for sure, but it would explain the textured look.

Last edited:

Ok, let´s start:
I think that this is the holster (with the pouch removed).

Glock_003_F.1.jpgH_1911_007.jpgh_beretta_001.jpg
A Condor, either a H-Glock; H-Beretta or H-1911 ambidiextrous holster.

mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy2_a.jpg
Here you can see the coincidence on the molle straps placement

max4a_zps2b1bfa3b.png~original_a.png
Here you can see the retaining sling and the square velcro piece at the end of the mentioned sling.

The holster is placed on a leg rig, maybe a Condor or Blackhawk ( they are very similar)

Ok, let´s start:
I think that this is the holster (with the pouch removed).

View attachment 358518View attachment 358519View attachment 358520
A Condor, either a H-Glock; H-Beretta or H-1911 ambidiextrous holster.

View attachment 358522
Here you can see the coincidence on the molle straps placement

View attachment 358531
Here you can see the retaining sling and the square velcro piece at the end of the mentioned sling.

The holster is placed on a leg rig, maybe a Condor or Blackhawk ( they are very similar)

It does look very similar and the webbing matches. We need a side view to be sure. I'm curious what color it is. Most pictures it looks black but in this photo it looks greenish. Could just be the weathering though.
MMFRH.jpg

It could even be ACU Digital. The pictures available are heavily color corrected

It could even be ACU Digital. The pictures available are heavily color corrected

Yeah, that's true. The sheath on the Chris Reeve knife is ACU digital too, so both could just be weathered and appearing darker.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of platform the holster is connected to. Like you said both Condor and Blackhawk both make a very similar platform. Just the buckles are slightly different from each other. Compared to the picture below, the bottom leg strap looks to be higher on Max than the Condor and Blackhawk.
Legholster2_zps93fe27ad.jpg

Legplatformcompare_zps5ec5228a.jpg~original

Also both have two leg straps and Max clearly has one. Not only that but the leg strap and belt strap look like they have some type of rubber looking sleeve. I can't seem to find any platform that has that sleeve.
Legholster1_zps55d51e54.jpg

Maybe the platform is modded or is also some type of South African gear?

Last edited:

Comicguy, the leg straps are both removable and custom placeable via velcro tabs (you can see the tab on the Max picture you posted above, the one with arrows), so the relative position would not be a problem. As you well notice, the straps seem to have some kind of sleeve
.rear.jpg policestuff_2324_1185715972.jpg

tumblr_n8at75mRCb1qde7iyo3_1280aa.jpg.10477-HR1aa.jpg
In the above picture I believe to see the two white lines on the leg strap. Also look what happens when you darken the ACU holster,

Last edited:

Comicguy, the leg straps are both removable and custom placeable via velcro tabs (you can see the tab on the Max picture you posted above, the one with arrows), so the relative position would not be a problem. As you well notice, the straps seem to have some kind of sleeve
.View attachment 358860 View attachment 358870

View attachment 358861.View attachment 358871
In the above picture I believe to see the two white lines on the leg strap. Also look what happens when you darken the ACU holster,

I see the tab now. Good point.

Look what I found on the net...
tubebelt.jpgtire-belt-03.jpg
I didn´t know there was a whole subculture of inner tube belts!

Last edited:

Ok guys. I took the plunge and got myself a South African Pattern 83 Battle Jacket. Below are some pics and notes about the rig.

First, some overall pics of the jacket.

IMG_1286.JPGIMG_1288.JPGIMG_1287.JPG

Second, the straps that seem to be holding down the handgun mag on the right are built into the jacket. One less thing. :) One is a sewn together elastic strap that can slide up and down the jacket and the second is a stationary velcro strap. This is the same on both shoulders.

straps.jpg

Third and kind of a bummer, the pouches are actually sewn onto the jacket and are not movable or re-attachable via molle webbing. It looks like they carefully cut away the stitching of the pouches and some they resewed and some they held in place with the straps and zip ties. This is not going to be as easy as i thought. :(

BJ 1.jpgIMG_1290.JPG

Well that's my informal review. Let me know if I can answer any questions or provide more detailed pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.JPG
    IMG_1291.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 668
Last edited:

Ok guys. I took the plunge and got myself a South African Pattern 83 Battle Jacket. Below are some pics and notes about the rig.

First, some overall pics of the jacket.

View attachment 359222View attachment 359224View attachment 359225

Second, the straps that seem to be holding down the handgun mag on the right are built into the jacket. One less thing. :) One is a sewn together elastic strap that can slide up and down the jacket and the second is a stationary velcro strap. This is the same on both shoulders.

View attachment 359234

Third and kind of a bummer, the pouches are actually sewn onto the jacket and are not movable or re-attachable via molle webbing. It looks like they carefully cut away the stitching of the pouches and some they resewed and some they held in place with the straps and zip ties. This is not going to be as easy as i thought. :(

View attachment 359238View attachment 359241

Well that's my informal review. Let me know if I can answer any questions or provide more detailed pics.

You beat me to it Lol! I'm still waiting on mine to come in. Big thanks to Atlas on providing the info on these. I've ordered from the same seller as you as I recognize the name and I.D. number on the pack. Thanks for posting those pics. I knew going in that everything was stitched together so thats not a surprise there. When mine comes in I'm going to try and remove the ink on the back with hairspray and some alcohol. It worked great on an Alice pack I have that had some writing on it. Should work for you if plan on removing the ink.

Last edited:

I got my battle jacket today. I've heard that these South African surplus jackets have a odor to them due to the bug spray the soldiers use, but holy hell does this thing stink! You could smell the odor before I even opened the box. I have it outside until I try to remove some ink I have on mine then I'll wash it. Might end up just taking it to the cleaners, but buyers beware. The smell is funky!

Boot mashing the accelerator in the trailer looks to be a Matterhorn 1949 Combat boot... Going off the indent between the 4th and 5th eyelet, the shape of the sole, and the stitching pattern.
mmboot.jpg
matterhorn.jpg

Great info on the boots!

La Plata-20140807-00462.jpgLegholster1_zps55d51e54_a.jpg
On the left is a MTB tube flipped Inside-out (tough task by the way...)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back