Gregor The Mountain costume research thread ***Back on the Costume***

Re: Gregor The Mountain costume research thread *** New Sword Pics***

Damn, I arrived too late to this thread to be useful :<
I made the mountain armor for my own game of thrones group and was all excited someone else was going to do a full one too.
View attachment 417850
View attachment 417851
View attachment 417852
It sucks that it looks like the project is not going forward at this time. That IS a very sweet sword.
If you do want to go forward in the future, I am willing share my experiences wearing it, building it out of steel,aluminum and leather.

You did a great job!

I have put this on hold as I was intending to do this for a con, but realized due to my work, that I wouldn't be able to attend. The sword is still unfinished currently and at my parent's place.

I still have someone who will produce the chain mail out of aluminum for me as well as leather/steel bracers per the best reference I could fin. The Armor itself was going to be tedious. I initially wanted to make the pieces out of leather for both durability and getting that aged look. I am opting for making the individual plates out of sintra though to save weight and cost.

The gambeson though was something I need as well, for it would have been a lower-hunter green gambison with a grey top, for where I'd slip the chain mail over.

The parts I would have liked to have made in metal would be the shoulder pauldrons and collar/neck piece. The boots and pants, and gloves are easy to source though.

I am most concerned about accuracy though.

Re: Gregor The Mountain costume research thread *** New Sword Pics***

So I'm picking this back up.

A group of us are looking to do a game of thrones-star wars mashup for Star Wars Celebration in April. Figured that I'd use this as an opportunity to get this going or near completed...so for me, I'll be doing a Vader-Mountain combo.

I'm not particularly a fan of mash ups but figure I can make this work considering I feel the mountain's armor is already pretty similar. With that being said, my method for this build now is to essentially build it as close to the show as much as possible as initially intended and then create and add Vader-like features. I prefer subtle over blatant or explicit.

I have an idea of what I'd like in my head, but for now, I'll focus on the actual suit and do those vader elements later.

The soft parts are going to be made, using off the shelf stuff. The lower-hanging green parts that represent the gambeson will be add ons and will be separate from the main shirt since it's well hidden.

The forearms will be made by a local, however, I need to get a design and measurements for him

The armor, I'm still indecisive. The upper body is rigid where as the lower armor plates that hang are clearly made of leather. Originally I was going to do this all in Sintra, but I am re-thinking how I should go about it now.

Chainmail. I'm having a hard time trying to get these parts without losing all of my money. I know I can learn to do it, but due to time and the necessity to get the rest of the suit done, I am not sure that is entirely feasable.

Boots...well, I'll get back to that

Sword- Just need to finish it. Already started adding missing details...

First thing though I need to make a body-cast of myself to get the armor going...

Got some more research done. The hardest part is finding better reference photos.

Having posted a hi-res image of the chainmaile to a message board dedicated to chainmaile it was determined that it's a standard European 4 in 1 weave w/ 2 different sized gauges, also (as I suspected) flat ring and "closed". They linked me to a company in Germany that sells a full chainmaile shirt for about $135 but need to determine if the sizes will work. If so, I can purchase that one item and deconstruct the sleeves into a separate part and create the chainmaile panel for the bottom using that. Ultimately, if it works, it'll save me a lot of money, though my concern is whether or not the sleeves will be large enough

http://www.mytholon.com/en/armour/c...irts/9705/richard-chainmail-flat-rings?c=1277

However, looking at their other option, which is designed for larger people, aka, ME, this doesn't look like a bad option either

http://www.mytholon.com/en/armour/chain-mail/chain-mail-shirts/9401/berengar-chainmail?c=1277

15781160_10208707907030901_13470346670139282_n.jpg

The Richard flat ring looks good, but the diameter of the rings is too large by comparison and don't think it'll look right at the end

15697364_10208707906430886_6226429505028701167_n.jpg

This is the larger "big boy" shirt option, which actually doesn't look bad at all and think it may be a good fit for both appearance and physical fit.

For other parts, better hi-res images prove that at least a majority of the armor is leather. Though, I need to determine how to go about getting started, such as figuring out what kind of leather to use, the hardening process, etc. A friend believes the shoulder bells are all leather. I can agree for the main body of it, but the extensions that sit on top (to protect the neck) appear to be something different.

15740730_10208703705765872_5435235546007253021_n.jpg

For the neck/collar, where it curve in and up, there's a series of decorative crests. More seasoned GoT fans identified it as being the House Clegane Sigil, (show version). However, I'm still not entirely convinced that's 100% accurate, though I am finding it nearly impossible to locate a clear reference picture

15774779_10208703706765897_8630644407554540862_o.jpg

house_clegane_sigil_custom_by_duwee_davisii-d6dlv3e.png

-TC

Welp, made my first purchase today..the gloves. Minor but necessary. Unfortunately, I couldn't located the gloves that I made my initial comparison to. I've always felt that they were US Army Issue gloves. I may have them lying around somewhere, but oh well. I settled for these. I was focused on the stitching, being a short-length and having the piping along the cuff. May not be perfect, but they'll look the part

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30054176686...49&var=600013034952&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For the leather plating I'd go with 12oz vegetable tanned leather. If you wanted to harden it you can put it in just boiling water for 15-30 seconds. With leather that thickness you may not even need/want to do that and the process will shrink the leather a bit. You could even just give them a quick soak in warm water, that would harden them a bit. Looks like they are died black then cut and every edge is burnsished and finished. For the amount of pieces that's probably at least an entire side of leather. Let me know if you want more advice on these or even want help fabricating them as I'm set up to do that kind of work.

If you wanted to imprint the sigil on those other pieces you could get a brass leather stamp made. There are some sellers on Etsy that fabricate those that I've heard good things about.

For the leather plating I'd go with 12oz vegetable tanned leather. If you wanted to harden it you can put it in just boiling water for 15-30 seconds. With leather that thickness you may not even need/want to do that and the process will shrink the leather a bit. You could even just give them a quick soak in warm water, that would harden them a bit. Looks like they are died black then cut and every edge is burnsished and finished. For the amount of pieces that's probably at least an entire side of leather. Let me know if you want more advice on these or even want help fabricating them as I'm set up to do that kind of work.

If you wanted to imprint the sigil on those other pieces you could get a brass leather stamp made. There are some sellers on Etsy that fabricate those that I've heard good things about.

Thanks for the tips and the input. It's gonna be something new to me but I'll definitely be practicing with some scrap before I go full force w/ the final components.

As for the brass stamp, that's a great idea. I'm still seeking better resolution reference but think I have a good idea of how it should look.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I was planning to have this ready in April, but I need to slow it down mainly due to the costs of getting it done. I don't want to rush it and just don't have the proper finances to do it the way I want to...so I'm gonna take it slow. I know we're trying to make it to the GoT convention in Tennessee in July, so that's a possible option

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back