making short Loki scepter need advice

chriscmoody

hey gang,

I went to Home depot and got a 10 foot piece of 3/4 PVC pipe. I plan to make 2 short Loki scepters. Now I wanted to know what else I need(supplies) in order to make this thing look beautiful like a few others I have seen. Could I cover the pipe in Eva foam alone to get the desired proportions or would I need to include builders bog/expanding foam/ect? As you can tell I need help. I've read a lot of guides but there is a lot of generalizing/skipping steps in those guides. if someone could private message me and give me at least a nudge in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!

yeah I did see that thread. If I can't find anything as detailed as that for the short scepter I will definitely refer to that thread as I am making mine. thanks for the reply

I used MDF wood around the entire scepter, the only PVC piece is about 6" at the front where the mind gem is attached. The blades are acrylic but it's 90% MDF.

Coo!! Thanks yeah I was curious. Hope you don't mind if I ask you a question or two as I'm constructing it. I'll probably post pictures as soon as I get the time to start building it. Thanks again.

Please do post pics!
I'm having the same trouble with deciding on materials, particularly with the orb/light, so let me know what you come up with?
Good luck!

loki1.jpgloki2.jpgI printed up the scepter template(courtesy of Zindee) at Staples(wow expensive) and traced it to 4 connected pieces of paper. The print from staples was a nice glossy so I will be using it as a reference. Cut and bent my pvc. I'm going to be creating a switch at the bottom of the scepter for the led mind gem light(still haven't found a suitable mind gem "piratewaffles". I will let you know if I find anything good! I'm going to use foam from a Yoga mat I bought to bulk up the pvc and create the scepter(curves, textures, ect) that way. Now here is where I have a question. I have heard that you should put a coat of fiberglass resin on along with bondo resin afterwards to achieve a really solid/sturdy feel. The plan is to do that and then dremel in the bondo coat of the scepter to achieve the feat of the scepter looking like it's not pvc with eva foam taped around it with duct tape. lol Then I want to cardboard the blades and cover the cardboard on both sides with expanding foam. and cut the blades out/flesh them out like that. I seek the wise counsel of crafts folk much better at this than me.

IMG_20140717_214135_181-1-892883603.jpgI cut the blades out of cardboard recently. Going to start bulking up the scepter. I have two ideas. One is to use expanding foam and then cut it to shape. Another is using foam from a yoga mat I bought and bulking it up that way and hot gluing it to the PVC. Which way would be better/more effective? Any help appreciated!

IMG_20140719_152236_877-1-892883603.jpgWell I went with expanding foam and this was my first go at it. Going to cut it down and add Eva foam also(I think. Really don't know what I'm doing. Kind of winging it and see how it goes.

IMG_20140719_192506_726-1-892883603.jpgStarting to whittle the scepter into shape. Going to put some body filler on(light coat) to take care of the gaps. Then dremel it into a beautiful scepter! Hopefully lol

IMG_20140720_143756_4212073098144.jpgIMG_20140720_143756_4212073098144.jpgQuestion for anyone. I am going to sand down the foam on the scepter tomorrow and was going to coat it in primer and then fill any gaps with bondo. Will the primer help stop the bondo from eating the foam?

10313079_702599169807264_2547898118965830780_n.jpg10530919_703579576375890_2399216204043471506_n.jpgAn update. Getting closer to the end goal. I am going to sand down the apoxie sculpt I used on the end of the scepter base tomorrow, gesso/sand/repeat it like I did with the rest of the base. Might add a thin layer of bondo. Also started casting the mind gem. Doing a few because I overestimated how much resin I needed. :/ Getting there.

IMG_20140801_103246_4441986544965.jpgquick update. Mindgem finished! The mystery! The power! Lol. Going to build the flashlight right into the scepter. Made sure to find one with a switch on the side. I'll hopefully have the scepter base painted and finished tonight. Get started on finishing the blades/other pieces tomorrow.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back