The Peter Parker Project.

JoshPottz

So, here's what this is. Let me explain...I have this problem where when someone tells me I CAN'T do something...I end up going nuts and not sleeping for days until I do it.
(Me trying to make a small, movie-accurate working web shooter is a prime example of this phenomenon, which I have dubbed "Potts Syndrome," ) Well, I decided I wanted to at least attempt making a comic-style spider-man costume from scratch. I had it drawn out last night, and got really hyped about it! So I asked my grandfather (who I live with) to take me to Hancock's fabrics so I could get a few materials, I found this gorgeous felt/spandex fabric in both blue and red, it had such a cool look to it, definitely unique. Then, I heard these words.

"Josh, you want my opinion?"
"Yeah, what?"
"You can't do this...it's too complicated."

You can't do this...
YOU CAN'T DO THIS...
dsfgh.jpg

images (1).jpg

So yeah... now I HAVE to do it.

Here's the way I see it...if Peter Parker can make a nice, high quality suit from scratch, I can. And I will keep trying until it kills me.

Here's my inspiration. I'm going with a classic sort of Bagley/Ditko blend, which should look a bit like this picture I drew a while back...
spidey_by_shadowface1337-d7l5ypu.jpg
And, well, there you have it. This is the first post I will be making. I have to go back and GET this fabric, because I was rushed out soon after gramps delivered his fatal blow. So there's the start, we have a drawing of a costume, a sewing machine from the 60s, and a teenage boy. Same scenario Peter would have had. Simple as that. Many of you are following my web shooter designs as well, so it would be nice to see this all play out if it works, have a costume made from scratch, and a web-shooter made from scratch, all done in the garage. Updates will be posted with any amount of progress, I'm sure of there's something I need help with, I have the community here to give advice.

If this can't be done, tell me so I can make sure it happens even more.

i had done a ditko/bagley a few years back, i done the whole suit with a red spandex suit and black fitted clothing its a 7 piece suit it all seperates, stitched all by hand.
suit1005_zpsd65e6830.jpgit makes a great look and mix, the mask i already had but i ended up doin a full ditko mask for it too. So im interested. good luck with this.

Looking forward on how you tackle this! Oh and Spideyguy45 would something like a 6 or 7 piece suit be harder than a one piece suit? How does everything stay together and not fall off? Thanks! Really interested in making a 6 piece suit also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! And spideyguy45, I have the same question. It would be interesting to see the costume in several pieces like the comics. I always wanted a costume I could wear under my clothes, I used to have a nice Spider-Man costume that I would wear for free and go act like Spider-Man to fans at kids birthday parties, really joyful for me. Wouldn't it be neat to see a fan somewhere, then sneak the costume on and surprise them? Maybe a little far but it would be neat.

suit1001_zps07ea3133.jpgas requested. this is it in all seven pieces these pictures are old so ill try to dig up some for..and as for it staying together the black is all tight fitting cotton material and the spandex actually held up good on it, really no slipping in the boots or gloves and i wore it for 2 hours at my sons 2nd birthday. i had the gloves and boots stitched off around the tops so that migth have helped some with the holding too but it was easy to get off and very function and i made this suit for less then $70 if i remember correctly.

I wonder if that would work on those long sleeve spandex workout shirts and pants...hmm. Nice to see that you know the original Spider-Man was red and black, not red and blue. Just the way the colors had to be printed at the time.

the spandex might slide off of each other a little easier then spandex on cotton, but yeah spideys my number 1 hero. loves the original look and loved ultimate spiderman sience it came out. so i mixed them, i figured it would be a cool 1st appearence modern day look.

Ultimate Spider-Man is my fav. But I have a remarkable respect for the original comics. I'm going to sew the boot patterns to the leg, and have a spandex covered shoe to blend in with it.

Good luck making a spiderman costume from scratch. It's hard, time consuming work.

I never pretended it wasn't. I tried it back in 2012 by hand...the result was mediocre at best. But I have confidence that I can do it. I mean, what's the point of doing something if you're just doing it to be easy?

Iracel. is right it took me time to finish, so just relax and youll get it where you want it to be. :thumbsup ill stayed posted for your progress,very interested to see the turn out

Here's a little draw out of the pieces and what I want them to look like, the blue spider is scrapped, I just thought it would be a nice homage to Amazing Fantasy 15.
Scan_Pic0016.jpg

I never pretended it wasn't. I tried it back in 2012 by hand...the result was mediocre at best. But I have confidence that I can do it. I mean, what's the point of doing something if you're just doing it to be easy?
Iracel wasn't being discouraging, he was actually wishing you good luck on what is a tough process. You should check out his threads to see the sort of amazing results he has achieved with scratch-built spidey suits.

I apologize, I have trouble telling tones over written text. :/ I've lurked here for a while, I'm quite a big fan of both you and Iracel actually. I misunderstood. Just threw me off a bit.

So, I'm thinking something in this color, made from compression shirt and pants as the base.
4656_31_lg-228x228.jpg
Would it be possible with this? Have the red pattern sewed over the shirt?

- - - Updated - - -

I've even considered buying a navy blue and deep red catsuit, and cutting the pieces to my liking, and stitching them to the costume. Seems do-able. But I'm not sure.

Here's my though for now llama, I'm considering for the gloves and mask, and potentially the boots. Buying a dark red zentai suit, and cutting the hand, boots, and mask out. Fabric will be used to make the arm strips and chest pieces, but to to sewing difficulty of gloves and feet, that might be an easier, and more quality way out. I don't want it to look like s***, so I may just do that. I can sew pretty well by hand, but I'm fairly new with a machine. Maybe a little reverse engineering will do this suit some good! I'm planing on getting the pants a little higher on my waist, so they pull up to my stomach. I may even make a thin "web belt" inside where the two fabrics meet, considering I'm putting working shooters on it. It would be cool to have people think they work the same way as the comics. (which sadly, they don't. This design will use a pressurized pump in the back.)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back