Alien isolation motion tracker

Reef

Hi there I've been lurking on the forums for a while and having made a few props I though I would share my work in progress of the motion tracker from the upcoming game ALIEN ISOLATION ,
sorry for the poor photos I will try to get some better ones up soon ,the screen is a casio pocket tv that is backlit green as in the game and is the only thing I haven't made,
I will crack on and get some more work done this week and update cheers reef.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 575
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 708
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 696
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 1,055
Ok it's time for an update, I've finished the base and made progress on the screen shroud ( man it's hard working from screenshots only) finished the vented part at the rear and started on some off the small details ,like the control knobs and switches ,
Ivor got to finish this before the game is released because a local game store wants to use it to advertise the game ,
things left to do ,make the box on top off the outher box part which has a grove in it ,figure how to get the display on the screen ( it will be a static display only) and wire in the lights and small switches ,oh and paint it but what colour dark grey or black any tips are very welcome , oh sorry forgot the screen is a 4 inch casio ctv8500 if anyone wants to have a go at building one cheers reef.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks toa quartz that's the main picture I'm working from, it's just a shame it's so small ,if anyone has some good screenshots please post them , started work on the screen image today will upload some pics soon cheers

Ok small update I was going to work on the screen but had a brainwave ,I found an old pair of headphones and cut off the cable Bingo curly lead ,
i had an old plug from the 70s which looked close to what is in the pics and fitted a red light in what I presume is the battery box ,just need to cut the cable down a tad going to start work on the box section that sits on top off the battery compartment and need to go to maplan (radio shack) to get a toggle switch for the side cheers reef.oh the grip is an old bicycle one which has the knurled surface but not the ribs it's the nearest I could get .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 223
Hi small update just mocked up the rear part that goes on top off the battery compartment made it out of card but now have to make it out of plastic ,just got a toggle switch and some printable clear plastic for the screen insert
on the side it has 4 square buttons on the side which I can use old keyboard buttons
more to follow soon cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 210
I think the four square buttons were supposed to be a reference to the ice cube tray on the tracking device in Alien.

Here's a few more pictures from AvPGalaxy:
AI_Creating_the_alien_28129.jpgaiscreenshot002.jpgaiscreenshot018.jpgaiscreenshot030.jpg

I think the four square buttons were supposed to be a reference to the ice cube tray on the tracking device in Alien.

Here's a few more pictures from AvPGalaxy:
View attachment 348426View attachment 348427View attachment 348428View attachment 348429

I think you could use old keyboard keys or maybe even those square rubber bumpers that you can attach to electronics to serve as feet (kinda like what they've used for the Universal Translator on Enterprise) due to their size. I could be wrong on though, but since the game makers looked at the entire game's design to look like it could have been made in the 1970s, those two options seem plausible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics guys, ii picked up an old keyboard and the keys look the same size so I think that's what I will use
still working on the screen that's tricky! It weigh about 4 lb not to heavy but just right ,I also made the flamethrower from alien for a friend that would look good with it ( see if I can get it back) thanks for all the interest more to follow cheers.

image.jpgimage.jpgOk people I have been messing around with the screen and tested some screen grabs and printed it on clear film ,it's not bad but I have to get the red dots down the side the two pics are with the led backlit on and in low light or dark shows up really well
the only problem is I have NO experience in Photoshop or any program's to change it I need to crop/stretch the image so bear with me I will figure it out cheers.

I don't think so,they just took inspiration from the first movie and 70s hardwear I presume ,maybe this is the first time someone has made one ,knowing my luck there will be a collectors edition with a replica motion tracker from the game ! Then I would see how badly mine is out ha.

Was there ever a "real" prop made out of 1970's equipment to inspire game designers?

According to this video, they explain how they designed everything in the game with not just understanding the original designs for the first film, but how they tried to approach the in-world items like the kind of items as if they could have been made for the first film's production. Don't know if they looked at items from the time to come up with a possible design as any production design/art department/prop maker would have, but they make it seem plausible that this scanner could have easily been made in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back