Finished The Eighth Passenger

Re: The Eighth Passenger

Woo hoo! Another Alien sculpt! Can't wait!
Thanks Nick. :)

Hello everyone,
I tried to make the teeth from a supplier which owns professional 3D printers. The material is ULTEM, incredibly hard and with excellent surface finish. He estimated the tail of ALIEN, 2.75 meters long, 400 €. I will spend more to make it manually, including material and labor, and not be completely accurate as rapid prototyping. I fear that we sculptors ended, unless we learn to sculpt on the computer?:wacko
:unsure:confused

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1501.jpg
    IMAG1501.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,348

Awesome! :thumbsup but it looks sooo familiar ;)

Thanks Leigh, is, indeed, as always, you have inspired me, because if I want to make the molds of the jaw with teeth, it becomes more complicated and could not be good. So your method is the best. But this was also a test to see the quality of this technology, which in that area must be especially precise. Given the relatively low cost, I could replicate the entire jaw, using rapid prototyping, and make molds fiberglass only for larger volumes. :)

This is the part above, made with two different materials and different printers: ULTEM with high mechanical properties and weighing over from professional printer; Corn extract from home printer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1502.jpg
    IMAG1502.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,378
Last edited:

Hello everyone,
here is the inner jaw. Failed of good quality, but I knew, for the settings of the 3D printer. However, sanding a bit ', I can improve them. These pieces are good for a dimensional and functional verification, but not for the definitive, for which will be made with 3d laser printer, or sintered.
See you next :)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1508.jpg
    IMAG1508.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,307
  • IMAG1507.jpg
    IMAG1507.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,275

DareDevil nice to see you have come along some more since my last visit. The teeth and inner jaws look great. Just for me and i know i am a little late but i too agree with the other guys about the joined fingertips. I myself much prefer them joined. This creature is so unique and bizarre looking i just think they suit it better. But ultimately of course it's your sculpture and you must do what pleases you. great work.

DareDevil nice to see you have come along some more since my last visit. The teeth and inner jaws look great. Just for me and i know i am a little late but i too agree with the other guys about the joined fingertips. I myself much prefer them joined. This creature is so unique and bizarre looking i just think they suit it better. But ultimately of course it's your sculpture and you must do what pleases you. great work.

Thanks Nial of your participation,
I'm doing tests to find the best value for money.
Some quality can not be seen from the images, such as the strength, the weight and flexibility.
I did make the entire tail, sintered. It is done in areas that fit through dovetail, with zero tolerance. Not even see the seam, except with the magnifying glass. It is amazing for the shape and definition, but it is too rigid. Handling it a little inexpertly may break. Then I could proceed in different ways, some of which are these:
1) it totally by hand, as done previously, but I would avoid a lot of work even if the results are great for flexibility and robustness (and less expensive).
2) do the sectors in rapid prototyping as the vertebrae of dinosaurs, to slip into an iron rod to give the curve, and keep them in line with references male-female.
3) do rapid prototyping of the entire tail straight, and then make silicone molds to make the tail rubber, with drowned inside an iron rod to bend the tail at will. (the most expensive, but the most beautiful)

Now I have not the pictures, because the parties are still displaced from the manufacturer.

I'm trying to see if I can do the whole head, with movable jaws, rapid prototyping, but still I continue with the parallel street of the sculpture, which is always more exciting.
The first thing to do is the mold for the transparent dome, which necessarily must be made in thermoformed. Just so you can adjust the differences of coupling between the head and the dome, which is with the CAD model with the sculpture.

For the moment I attach a new proof of teeth-made PC-ABS. This is what I like the most, because it is strong and light. They are waiting for the release sintered. I'm filling the shelves of teeth. :)

attachment.php

Greetings

Attachments

• IMAG1510.jpg
    IMAG1510.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,356

I lost a bit 'of time due to CAD modeling. Waiting for me to come for the parties, I enclose some pictures of the head progress, held together with tape. The shapes are provisional and will be amended or refined with polymer clay. I am waiting for the model made with rapid prototyping to create the mold matrix of transparent dome. This model is calculated without the expected thickness of 3mm of the dome. Will use this model to create two half-shells of glass fiber, in which particular synthetic gypsum to obtain a replica in extra-hard plaster, to achieve the dome thermoformed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1545.jpg
    IMAG1545.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMAG1543.jpg
    IMAG1543.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 1,287
  • STAMPO ISO.jpg
    STAMPO ISO.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1,298
  • STAMPO DETT.jpg
    STAMPO DETT.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,260
  • IMAG1534.jpg
    IMAG1534.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 1,251
Last edited:

Looking real nice!! :thumbsup

thanks Leigh,you're always a great support;). It is not yet time for the deta2ils,but curiosity prevails and I'm feeling a bit 'as it may be. This is the version eyebrows that I like the most, with the lower lip seems typical of dogs.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1552.jpg
    IMAG1552.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMAG1550.jpg
    IMAG1550.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 1,228
  • IMAG1551.jpg
    IMAG1551.jpg
    958.2 KB · Views: 1,201
Last edited:

I've found the lips to be particularly tricky to get anywhere near right, I think the biggest problem is that there were 3 different types used on the original.
I ended up trying to achieve a look that captured features from all 3 types but then you also need to choose which features to use for best effect :wacko
I'll be honest.... I'm still not 100% happy with mine but its nearly there :)

Personally I'm not so sure about the frown! Having a frown gives him a personality....I don't think he's as scary with a personality, IMO he needs to show NO emotion!

I'm not in any position to proceed with mine at moment so I'm very interested to see how your dome comes out. Your vac forming buck looks very similar to mine but you've included raised area's on the sides & ends, I shall be watching closely :)

I've found the lips to be particularly tricky to get anywhere near right, I think the biggest problem is that there were 3 different types used on the original.
I ended up trying to achieve a look that captured features from all 3 types but then you also need to choose which features to use for best effect :wacko
I'll be honest.... I'm still not 100% happy with mine but its nearly there :)

Personally I'm not so sure about the frown! Having a frown gives him a personality....I don't think he's as scary with a personality, IMO he needs to show NO emotion!

I'm not in any position to proceed with mine at moment so I'm very interested to see how your dome comes out. Your vac forming buck looks very similar to mine but you've included raised area's on the sides & ends, I shall be watching closely :)

Yes, in fact there are several versions of the front eyes, teeth and lips.
Here are some:
The_Alien_head_construction.JPG 0025.jpg m-025-A29.jpg Bolaji-Badejo-alien-01.jpg

I too am looking for an intermediate form. I do not think I'll do the moving lips as you realized you were in the video (nice work), because at the time I did not want to work too. Maybe later, more relaxed, when the bulk of the work could be dedicated only to this. Therefore, in view of a movable jaw, I thought to a form of the lips that could agree on both positions, open and closed. Therefore lip relaxed, which is typical of the position "MUSEUM", although it is very nice, it would not be the most appropriate for this purpose. With regard to the increased volume of the dome mold, place immediately after the perimeter outside the figure, it is to facilitate the release of the polycarbonate. As regards the rim carved out, visible in the image zooming, it serves to mark the end of the figure, to mark the visibility during the cutting of the polycarbonate.

Last edited:

Hello everyone.
Finally came the sintered parts that I need to proceed.
The first is the model to achieve the two fiberglass parts (left and right), I need to get the same shape, but in synthetic gypsum extra hard> 300 Brinell. This is the model of the transparent dome,which must be a bit stuccoed here and there.

IMAG1565.jpg IMAG1566.jpg IMAG1567.jpg IMAG1573.jpg IMAG1574.jpg

The others are details of the head and jaw and mandible internal system. To these I will make the molds silicone rubber.
Let me wishes, because my experience on the molds is zero! :wacko

IMAG1569.jpg IMAG1570.jpg IMAG1571.jpg IMAG1572.jpg

While waiting for these pieces, without which I could not proceed to finish the head, I carried on filling the rest of the body.

But times are getting longer, because the spring it also takes a bit 'of the gym to prepare for the mountain bike in the nature !!! :)

See you soon!

I'm really looking forward to your updates especially regarding the dome! I'm keen to see how the vac forming comes out, I may have to alter mine here & there :)

Excellent work so far :thumbsup

I'm really looking forward to your updates especially regarding the dome! I'm keen to see how the vac forming comes out, I may have to alter mine here & there :)

Excellent work so far :thumbsup

Dear Leigh,
Thanks for your participation.
To achieve this dome I had to find a compromise in the undercut, because in the previous ALIEN I had problems caused by strong undercut. The worker had to restrict the suction of the vacuum in the area of ​​the undercuts, closing the small holes of the intake (1.5mm diameter), with the consequent loss of curvature, not to break the dome during the extraction. So as not to lose all the bending, I decided to split it a little between the dome and the head, as seen in this image.

attachment.php

Making the dome very thin, to have greater flexibility of plastic, it is very difficult, because the sheet departure remains constant in the thickness during the mold. Being the mold very long and high, the stretching is remarkable. I have considered to have 3mm thick in the coupling areas with the head, while in the center of the other part could be 1.5mm. In previous ALIEN, for 3mm, the worker went to a thickness of 5mm plate and had to pull it out when it was still hot, because the cold would be more difficult, with the risk of rupture.

Below, we expose how will I get the mold itself.
The sintered model you see in my previous comment corresponds to this image:

attachment.php

On this model I am going to build a casting mold fiberglass, composed of two half shells, in which I will go to casting the synthetic gypsum to obtain the new robust model (25mm thick and 38kg).If the plaster mold should break, I can make another one because I have a fiberglass matrix.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

On this plaster model, I'm going to practice some holes, 1.5mm diameter, in the area of undercuts to increase the intake and adhere to the maximum thermoformed plastic model.

See you next time.:)

Attachments

• RISCHIO.jpg
    RISCHIO.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,511
  • STAMPO 3.png
    STAMPO 3.png
    205 KB · Views: 1,060
  • STAMPO 4.jpg
    STAMPO 4.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,122
  • STAMPO 1.jpg
    STAMPO 1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • STAMPO 2.jpg
    STAMPO 2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,090
Last edited:

Nicely done!
yeah, a row of evenly spaced 1.5-3.0mm holes drilled just under the perimeter tube area to create more suction in that area. I've been thinking along the same lines as you & the buck needs to be hollow to achieve this.
As I'm skint at the moment I'll let you go first :D

Hello everyone,
work is progressing slowly due to the summer passions.
1145537045-Sport26.gif

These days I have fixed the system of rotation of the mandible. It consists of aluminum pins of 8mm diameter which rotate in aluminum tubes, inserted in the cheekbone area. Probably I put a small magnet to keep closed the jaw, or a spring that, beyond a certain point of rotation, can pull both opening and closing. In addition, small tires stop, to be seen whether or not the register stop.

IMAG1596.jpg

See you next :)

Attachments

• 1145537045-Sport26.gif
    1145537045-Sport26.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:

Wow man it's been a while since i got on here to see how he's going and he is really going well. The video is greatly appreciated to be able to have a better look than just photos. Jaw movement is great and really smooth. Keep at it my friend he is looking awesome.

Wow man it's been a while since i got on here to see how he's going and he is really going well. The video is greatly appreciated to be able to have a better look than just photos. Jaw movement is great and really smooth. Keep at it my friend he is looking awesome.

Thanks Nial,
I'm restarting work after the holidays.
Now I should start with the realization of fiberglass molds.
I'll start with that to create the transparent dome.
I have to create empty volumes for pouring the synthetic gypsum, so that, after pouring and having removed these volumes, will remain interior walls with rib feature.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

see you soon

Attachments

• SIDE.jpg
    SIDE.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 963
  • SECCTIONS.jpg
    SECCTIONS.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 921

Hello everyone,
here is the modeling of the volumes to be extracted to obtain the ribs in the mold for the transparent dome.

I probably will not have to finish them superficially, as it will clothe with Domopak aluminum to extract them easily, but I will simply reinforce them with a few rounds of tape.

See you next

IMAG1761.jpg IMAG1762.jpg IMAG1763.jpg IMAG1764.jpg IMAG1765.jpg IMAG1766.jpg IMAG1768.jpg IMAG1769.jpg IMAG1770.jpg IMAG1771.jpg IMAG1772.jpg IMAG1773.jpg IMAG1773.jpg IMAG1774.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back