SNG studios Daily video

Hello Steve, I've been watching your videos and I'm absolutely amazed. I do have a few questions, if I may.

I'm not sure which episode it is of yours, but what kind of latex are you using for the Outer Limits mask? Is it regular liquid latex (larger quantity of course) or is it a special mix?

Also, could you use this (slush mold) technique to apply it over a stop-motion armature?

And finally, when you apply the rubber paint, what do you use to thin it down for the air brush? ie) lacquer thinner.

Cheers,
AnamorphicWayne

I use Bestine. Its thinner for rubber cement. Plus Proline tints for color. The rubber is just a 5 gal bucket from [url]www.burmanindustries.com [/URL] and it would not work on a stop motion puppet very well you'd need to use foam rubber for that. Also available from Burmans.

I had a quiet day at SNG. I worked a lot on putting back the missing details on the Skydiver. Think I got much of it back again. My eyes are crossed and need a mule to kick me in the head so they go back again. ;) I know you guys will get that one.
But seriously Monday I need to coat over the chart tape with high build primer most of the day and Tuesday I can remove it and we have panel lines once again. This is really starting to shape up.

- - - Updated - - -

DSC02701.JPGDSC02699.JPGDSC02698.JPG

Last edited:
WELCOME BACK STEVE!!!!!!!!! :D:thumbsup

Seriously its great to have you back. While you were here last I followed all of your projects and on the and have deep respect for your talents.

I tried to follow you from your own sites but not enough time in the day for me these days to hit any more sites, so I slacked off. but am truly glad your back.

Sorry about your troubles, but am glad that you seem to be working through and not letting things take you down.

BTW you are looking good! Happy even in your pics and vids ! Good for you!

Jedi Dade

Thanks Jedi. While all that stuff was going on way back then my wife was fighting a battle with cancer and I with her. It was a nightmare and had a tendency to make it difficult to maintain one's composure. She lost the battle on Feb. 6 2013. All the time I took care of her and kept my career moving forward. Hardest thing I ever gone through in my life.
Steve

Today was a good day with lots of things accomplished on both models. The Skydiver has all the cart tape panel lines on. I placed an entire can and a half of high build primer over the tape.
I got the canopy frame cut out and the clear under canopy trimmed to fit and placed inside.
The Enterprise D got all the windows scratch in on the underside of its saucer section. Got a bunch started on the engineering section too. It won’t be long now until they are all done.
Tomorrow the Skydiver will have its chart tape removed so we can see the panel lines and move on to the under belly.
Another day and I’ll be able to finish the windows on the D. This leaves the clear coat, some painting trim colors and lastly the decals. We are on the home stretch.
Another day for the Skydiver and I’ll be able to start cutting the drain holes and soon be able to paint the base coats of gold and silver.
More tomorrow.

2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpgD1.jpgD2.jpgD3.jpg

I got a lot more on the Enterprise D today and the Skydiver. On the d I managed to nearly finish the windows except for the neck which I’ll get done tomorrow and then it’s all downhill. I started this build about 7 weeks ago. I’ve been building both the Skydiver and the D at the same time too so it’s been a fairly brisk build. But always the big problem is keeping the pain stuck to this clear model that reminds me of Teflon. Once the windows are done it gets the clear coat which will stop anymore chipping of the paint one hopes.
I have another one of these kits and all the aftermarket parts for it for our show room but I think I’ll build something else like the Bad Azz BSG I have sitting waiting for me. Besides it’s in our script that Bill and Heidi Hughes wrote for our short film: “Martians Attack SNG”. So it’s a prop. Works for me.
The skydiver now has all its panel lines back long sanded into oblivion by its former owner. I still have to do the bottom side tomorrow but it has less and will hardly ever be seen. Should go quick. In the sequence of photos you see the process of sanding the top of the tape first, removing the tape, sanded the overlap edges of and dusting the hull to reveal nice crisp panel lines.
Oh that’s me in the sixth finger mask. It fits well but needs more padding up top which is why I’m holding it up with my fist.

Attachments

• DSC02752.JPG
    DSC02752.JPG
    533.3 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC02749.JPG
    DSC02749.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC02743.JPG
    DSC02743.JPG
    453.1 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC02741.JPG
    DSC02741.JPG
    512.8 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC02733.JPG
    DSC02733.JPG
    634.6 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC02728.JPG
    DSC02728.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 156
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 136
  • D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 140
Have been have been fan your youtube shows for a while now keep up the stirling work:thumbsup

Can't wait for Martians Attack SNG!!

Great to see you back here Steve! I've been following your show on youtube of course. Your vids are always entertaining and informative. You really embody everything that's best in modeling. Hope your tooth problems go away soon!

It’s been a busy weekend. The Enterprise D finally has all the corrections done and the orange painted on the nacelles along with that coat of acrylic gloss clear for applying the decal. Don’t worry gang once the decals are on she gets a matt finish clear.
We are looking at Decals will take a day maybe a bit more and she’s done. We are looking at Wednesday for a finished model.
The skydiver has all her panel lines and they are all sanded down and smooth. Next up on Monday we cut a few drains and holes open and we can pain a base coat of a sort of gold brass color on. By the end of that week it’s my hope to have a paint job on her. Then we wait for the internals to arrive before I can finish her off.
It’s my hope to finish off both models this week coming up so Mary and I can get into full swing on the Movie project. We need to finish client projects first.
The opening on the new show is a temp. We have a more involved and more creative version on the horizon.
More on Monday!

DSC02783.JPGDSC02790.JPGDSC02793.JPGDSC02796.JPGDSC02821.JPGDSC02822.JPGDSC02823.JPGDSC02824.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
I have as of today all the decals on top side on the D. They were a bit brittle after sitting for years but fared well.
Tomorrow I’ll finish off the underside of the d and clear coat her on Wed. I also did a lot of hand paint work on various areas of the model.
Wednesday back to the Skydiver and later this week we start the armature and body fabrication for the Martian.
Steve

DSC02841.JPGDSC02858.JPGDSC02856.JPGDSC02851.JPGDSC02850.JPGDSC02849.JPGDSC02848.JPGDSC02847.JPGDSC02844.JPGDSC02859.JPG

Hey Steve! I've been watching sng since your Voyager model build. Just wanted to say thank you, as it was those videos that got me interested in model making and prop building (which eventually led me to therpf.com!) So... Thank You!

Hey Steve! I've been watching sng since your Voyager model build. Just wanted to say thank you, as it was those videos that got me interested in model making and prop building (which eventually led me to therpf.com!) So... Thank You!

Thanks so much!

steve

We had a long day at SNG today. First we packed up the Enterprise D. It ships tomorrow. Additionally we put the Velcro in the Sixth Finger mask and it will ship tomorrow to. This means a trip into LA to my favorite packer and shipper.
After all that dust settled I cut most of the drains out the Skydiver. Except for adding the small parts she’s nearly ready to start the paint job.
I had a little over an hour left at the end of the day and roughed out by hand our Martians Attack SNG Martian.
This is only an hour’s worth of sculpting to get the rough massing on the way. No tools were used except for that pencil you see. The eyes are in just for looks. Once the sculpture is finished they will be removed for molding.
I know it doesn’t look cannon. I am purposely not looking too closely at the original Top cards at all but rather free forming from my own thoughts. In fact his costume has been redesigned, the props and the head wear. That’s right I’m putting my own spin on it. We are also going to make up some cards that show these changes as though the cards looked like this design back in the 60s. And the cards will be call,” Martians Attack.”
We are now in pre-production as we close on finishing our last client model. We will also be starting in on casting our perks for the backers. Let Martians Attack SNG begin!
Steve

DSC02924.JPGDSC02925.JPGDSC02930.JPGDSC02931.JPG

Today was spent mostly in town shipping. But we got back not too late in the day and I was able to get another couple of hours in on the Martian. Yes it has lips. And eye lids and this means it will have a lot more expression.
The eyes and lids are just for looks right now. I have to make up some actual eyes for the sculpture before I can finish it off. They need to be present in the sculpture and the mold so that when I make the core for the eventual under skull I will have an exact contour match for the lids themselves. You will see what I mean as we go through the steps. Most of you guys that have done this before know exactly what I mean. ;)
It’s still a rough. We are at what I call stage two out of four stages. The suit the Martian wears is a sort of Steam punk looking rig and have more of a military camo Desert Mars look to it.
More tomorrow.

DSC02932.JPGDSC02934.JPGDSC02935.JPG

We did lots of shopping for materials today and a lot of work on the Skydiver. Not much more done on the Martian but tomorrow more on him.
The Skydiver has all its drains and holes. Some un cannon but necessary drain holes on the bottom so the hull can drain water efficiently when in actual water use. Remember this is a radio controlled submarine.
I added most of the small parts to the hull although many are missing from the kit they won’t be too hard to recreate. There’s a base coat of Krylon metal brass on the hull. This will get wet sanded smooth tomorrow and then the sort of Aztec nickel and copper can be started along with the dark colors or anti glare. She’s getting there.
Thought I'd add this picture of Mary at our camera rig which is growing more all the time.
SteveDSC02936.JPGDSC02938.JPGDSC02940.JPGDSC02942.JPGDSC02943.JPGDSC02945.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back