Edge of Tomorrow/Rita Vrataski - Heli Blade Sword

JadeD16

Hey everyone,
I'm relatively new here. This is my first build post. I love swords and when I first saw the posters and trailers I loved the look of this. After seeing the movie I knew I needed one. So the quest began. When I was researching I found that seemingly every promo shot had a different blade (oh, photoshop…) Especially the ones where she is holding the blade in her left hand… They just flipped the shots around and then they had to alter the blade to look proper. Also all of the shots are of just one side (the "inner"). So I picked just one to go off of. Watching the movie again I got a better look at the "outer" part of the blade. Also Watching it again I picked up more little details. I swear she doesn't use the same sword twice, it seems every shot it's a different one.
This is the blade I have decided to use as the 'hero'. (As well as some detail bits from the movie, but for the most part it will be the one below)

FullPoster.jpg Cropped Poster.jpg

I will either make another post tonight, with the unfinished handle and sizing and stuff or I will tomorrow (if I don't start making it)... To be continued...

Last edited:
Not the original post I was going to put up, but I thought I'd share more of my process on figuring out the size. (If you haven't checked out MatterMaker's build, you should, he did an AMAZING job.) I actually cut out cardboard to the size in his post, but I found it to be a bit too big. So I went from there. I decided to check her height and according to imdb, Emily Blunt and I are the same height (5'7), which is super handy because I was able to use myself as a reference and out of that I determined that the blade (handle excluded) was about 38 in, so that's what I'm going with. Though once I cut it out it I may cut it down to 37 maybe even 36. I determined the width, using the height as scale. (I have a photoshop document that shows how I roughly did so.) I'll post it if I remember as with "pre" pics tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to start the build tomorrow or this weekend. Time for bed.
Till next time, Happy propping.

Here is my prep... DR-(StepOne)Template.jpg DR-(StepOne)TemplateClose.jpg DR-Handle.jpg DR-Plans(Unfinished).jpg
Not sure when I will start the actual build. It's been raining on and off here (raining right now in fact) and I don't have a garage. Hopefully it will clear up enough this weekend.
I also need to do more research on the label, I can't get a clear reference... If anyone knows, even a real life example that's close that would be super helpful.
TO BE CONTINUED...

... 4 YEARS LATER. lol.
Yes four years and I've finally started/ I've finally gotten a space in which to do so.
I've rounded over the top.
The curve at the bottom needs to be redone a bit.

DSCF4591.JPGDSCF4590.JPGDSCF4592.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back