Back To The Future Part 2. 2015 Jacket WIP

I watched the 2015 future sequence again tonight and his jacket bends and flexes even more than my material. So I am sure that layer was just one coat of rubber now.

Also looking at my three pieces sitting on the bench and the one thing I wish I had done different was making them as 3 separate parts. I will no doubt me making more of this material, so will modify the molds so that the whole vest part is made as a single piece joined at the shoulders.

attachment.php

By making the part as a single part, there is no need to join later at the shoulders where all of the load bearing will occur.

For mine, I intend to lay a section of cloth and add more rubber and that will be strong. This just gives it strength at a whole new level with far less weight. The seam would only be there in texture.

Attachments

• BTTF2 Jacket.jpg
    BTTF2 Jacket.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 458
I was also playing with the belt. I know it is supposed to be a cover off a chair and I have two of them that I have cut down the seam to give me four parts.

I been thinking of an idea that one could 3d print a piece of belt that is made so that interlocks with itself. Then you would only need to print one part and cast as many copys you would need to make a long belt. And with 3d printing you would get a closer looking belt than the chair covers. And it would not be hard to print out a thinner piece for the cuffs. When the belt is as long as you need you just mold that part and use what ever you want to cast it with.

You rock! That is a great idea. I just don't own a 3D printer at this time.

Any creative guys want to up-load one to Shapeways? Based on what I have seen in images and videos, they would be able to print the belt up to 4 feet long.
They could then print the two widths :)

That last pour looks so awesome!

That picture posted by Contec, it looks like the bellows on the sleeves aren't sewn, but cast, right? If so, I know where to buy them, but they're around $50 each.

That last pour looks so awesome!

That picture posted by Contec, it looks like the bellows on the sleeves aren't sewn, but cast, right? If so, I know where to buy them, but they're around $50 each.

Thank you Risu :) Yes it has involved a lot of trial and error (not to mention $$$) to get it this far and I am really liking this now.

Yes I do believe the bellows are cast. So if you think you know where to source them, please post a link, $50 each is still quite affordable if it saves time and money to make these.

Let me get my computer booted up and I'll find them. In the meantime, what do you think is the diameter of the outside of the bellows?

OK, based on a really rough estimate I did from a couple reference images, I'd say the one at the elbow is either 6 or 7" in diameter and the shoulder one is either 8 or 9". I think it would partly depend on your own size. I looked them up though and there are only two sizes that would fit. The 4" ID size has an OD of 5 5/8" and costs $60 each. The 6" ID has an OD of 8 1/8" and costs $74. I've purchased the 8" ID size before for another project and I'm pretty sure these are the same thing being used in the jacket. You can find them on McMaster-Carr, part numbers 5298K73 and 5298K74.

And if you're concerned about the exact diameter of these, it has some fluctuation and a lot of stretch. They're very pliable.

Awesome, thanks for that :)

I was thinking OD being about 9" for the shoulder and about 6" for the elbow.

9421k12p1-j06l.png

This might be just what we need.

Last edited:
They're black but they reflect light in an interesting way that makes them look lighter. Here's a picture of the one I already bought.

Last edited:
For sleeve texture two things to look at:

1. Crackle-pattern light covers. The pattern might be too big though...you'd have to look. (But the consistency of using two different light covers makes sense)

And the one I've been mulling around in my head for a while:

2. Opaque white inner shower curtain. I stare at mine every day and notice the slight texture it has. Just pour your rubber onto it and you're good to go. The advantage of using this is that you could do a MUCH bigger pour which is great for something like sleeves that need quite a bit of material.

-Nick

Mine is the 8" ID, so too large. I bought it for a different project. If you find a cheaper place, please let me know. McMaster has a huge selection, but not the best pricing.

I might even need 9". I checked prices and they are way more costly in Australia. Still easier than making them.

If you get the 9" ID, it's going to be close to a foot OD, that would be REALLY big. I can put my head through the 8" one.

Yeah just check the measurements on a jacket you have laying around, like regular measurements from shoulder to pit, and see which diameter would be closest to that. Then a smaller diameter for the forearm, the screen used was ruffled at the cuff so adjusting the wrist part is just ruffling it then gluing the cuff ribbing to that

If you get the 9" ID, it's going to be close to a foot OD, that would be REALLY big. I can put my head through the 8" one.

Your right. I need the OD about 9". I probably could get away with the 8" OD.

- - - Updated - - -

Your right. I need the OD about 9". I probably could get away with the 8" OD.

Just waiting for an AU company to contact me back on bellows. Looks like about $80AUD for the 9" OD and so I will see if I can get a 6" and 8" OD for this project.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back