The Predator (New Sequel)

Vivek

Master Member
Fox Rebooting 'Predator' With Shane Black - Hollywood Reporter
I like Shane Black and even enjoyed Iron Man 3, but I am baffled by his choice of opting to direct a reboot film.

Excerpt from the article:

"Black actually appeared in a minor role in the original movie and how be became involved is part of Hollywood lore.

When Predator was being made in 1986, Black was already a screenwriting prodigy for his Lethal Weapon and Monster Squad scripts. The studio and producers wanted him to polish the script for Predator, which was then in pre-production. Black turned it down. A few weeks later, they approached him again. Once more, Black said no. Another few weeks went by, and then the studio called again. This time, however, he was told there was a small role in the movie and whether he would like to have it. Black said yes.

When he arrived to the South American set, the studio execs and producers greeted him and said, "By the way, would you mind taking a look at the script?" Black replied, "I’m still not rewriting it."

Last edited:
re: Predator New Sequel

Ugh, why reboot when Predators was a decent enough launching pad for a franchise refresh? They better not mess with the creature design too much.

Fox Rebooting 'Predator' With Shane Black - Hollywood Reporter
I like Shane Black and even enjoyed Iron Man 3, but I am baffled by his choice of opting to direct a reboot film.

Excerpt from the article:

"Black actually appeared in a minor role in the original movie and how be became involved is part of Hollywood lore.

When Predator was being made in 1986, Black was already a screenwriting prodigy for his Lethal Weapon and Monster Squad scripts. The studio and producers wanted him to polish the script for Predator, which was then in pre-production. Black turned it down. A few weeks later, they approached him again. Once more, Black said no. Another few weeks went by, and then the studio called again. This time, however, he was told there was a small role in the movie and whether he would like to have it. Black said yes.

When he arrived to the South American set, the studio execs and producers greeted him and said, "By the way, would you mind taking a look at the script?" Black replied, "I’m still not rewriting it."

Well, if anyone's qualified to do it, it's him. He's a gifted writer and he's got as much backstory on it as anyone. I'm all for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, why reboot when Predators was a decent enough launching pad for a franchise refresh? They better not mess with the creature design too much.

I certainly hope you are joking...

I agree, why reboot when they just did Predators not all that long ago and would have worked to refresh the franchise. While I normally have nothing against reboots and remakes this one just makes no sense to me.

I was referring to the fact that certain scenes were a shot for shot remake of Predator, including the score.

Most notably, the Yakuza guy facing off against that one Predator was a blatant recreation of Billy's Last Stand in Predator.

Do they think that the word reboot holds some kind of special magic that will instantly reinvigorate a franchise? Just make another movie in the series for gods sake and try really really really hard to make it good. Predators was basically a remake/reboot anyway so why not just carry on from there?

I was referring to the fact that certain scenes were a shot for shot remake of Predator, including the score.

Most notably, the Yakuza guy facing off against that one Predator was a blatant recreation of Billy's Last Stand in Predator.

Yeah I didn't mind that at all. If the AVP movies and to a lesser degree P2 is what we get for Hollywood tapping into its creative juices, I'm all for a blatant knockoff of the first Predator movie classic.

i was quite worried about this until i realized shane black played Hawkins in the original movie now i'm cautiously optimistic

From all the things that the Predator movies have done (NOT counting AvP films), is it really necessary to 'reboot' it? Every film had a different race of Predator, different methods of how they hunt and different technology. Unless the film is an absolute redo of the first film with the same characters and the same names, there's no real need to declare it a separate canon reboot.

Also, I love the idea of Shane Black doing this regardless. It's just, yes!

Reboot has become such a generic industry word that it's hard to know what it means now. Will this film be another chapter in the story of these creatures coming to hunt on Earth to get the franchise back on its feet or is it a complete re-conceptualization of the idea? I guess we'll see. Fingers crossed that it's fun.

I'm betting the predator'll now look like a transformer and be overly complicated all cgi.

I am SUPER excited to get more Predator movies. I am SUPER bummed it won't be a sequel to Predators, which was a satisfying movie on every level for me, and ripe for a kick ass sequel. What a shame.

So true.

Guys, there is so much lore to go off of with this franchise. Predators showed the Bad Blood Predators. We need the Weyland-Yutani connection again. And I want a Japanese girl on a remote planet getting colonized and joining forces with a Predator to fight off Xenos. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This can be done and done well...repeatedly. Predators was Predator in the jungle...in SPACE...now lets go back to its roots. On Earth.
Reboot has become such a generic industry word that it's hard to know what it means now. Will this film be another chapter in the story of these creatures coming to hunt on Earth to get the franchise back on its feet or is it a complete re-conceptualization of the idea? I guess we'll see. Fingers crossed that it's fun.

I have always wanted to see Predators in other eras. Predators vs. samurai, Predators vs. Civil War soldiers, etc...of course, the Pred is so powerful it would be a challenge for the writers to make the humans fight back convincingly without modern weapons, but it could be worked around. A ship crashes and Union soldiers raid their plasma guns or something.

Still, I want my Predators sequel.

i also wanted to see a predator where people are aware of them and have hands on their technology. So pred has to go and make sure their technology doesnt remain in their hands. altho kind of odd predators isnt just getting a sequel. Dint like the super preds tho but overal was an ok movie.

If we are going to have a predators sequel can we have a less bland leading man?

I'd happy trade off acting ability for a handful of charisma.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back