The Predator (New Sequel)

Re: Predator New Sequel

Wha?!?!? I can't imagine how you could possibly dislike Predators more than AVP or AVP2. Now those were two completely unlikable movies with no likable characters or redeeming value and the Predator design (in AVP) was just embarassing. At least the Predators in PREDATORS were interesting.

I did NOT like AVP or AVP2. But at least I wasn't watching those two movies thinking "I hate every single human being in this film and I hope they ALL die!........most of them, yes, but not all."

You're not supposed to like mercenaries and serial killers.

How could you not like Shane from the Shield? Or Morpheus stuck on Predator Island?
I did NOT like AVP or AVP2. But at least I wasn't watching those two movies thinking "I hate every single human being in this film and I hope they ALL die!........most of them, yes, but not all."

Shane is always good in everything, I would have preferred the survivors to be him, the Russian guy, and the yakuza, but no, has to be Mr and Mrs bland.

My problem with Predators was the fact that they seemed to just completely re-use the entire soundtrack and quite a few major lines of dialogue from P1, plus the way it played out with Royce being the only survivor (who wasn't hideously injured) and going one on one with the Beserker Predator, for me it was just too familiar. There were aspects I did like, and I would definitely say its superior to AVP. But I am hopeful they don't follow on from that particular storyline.

In many ways it was a bit like Superman returns, didn't know if it was a sequel or a remake.

Yeah, that's kind of what i said in post 27.

And i agree with JBReplicas, the reused music cues and certain lines were pretty poor. Sort of yoinks you out of the film.

Rich

I just re-watched the original for the 1st time in 20 years. I loved it when it came out but TBH, last night I found the story tedious, poorly shot, badly scored and almost silly. Arnold had not yet developed good acting skills ( he's not great now, but MUCH better than he was then ;) ) There's not much I did like about the movie itself except for the concept and execution of the Predator. As a product of the 80's it's what we expected at the time, but the script has a lot of holes in it (wish Mr. Black had re-worked it a bit :) ), and the characters are unconvincing as professional soldiers (hostages? let's lob explosives into the compound indiscriminately! :lol ). The last few times I tried watching my "old" favorite action movies with my daughter it's been disappointing, she has hard time with story inconsistencies and sees stuff that I never paid attention to when I was her age (11). I mostly enjoyed the nostalgia of remembering the 1st time I saw it in the theater, but my film palate has changed since I was 15. :lol I recall enjoying P2 more than the 1st (haven't seen that in almost 20 years either) so I'm going to look for that one (the video store doesn't have it :( ). I stayed away from PVA, and only caught a few minutes of Predators on TV once, it looked like a bit of a reboot, but I plan on giving that one a try too. The thought I had after seeing the original again was "Dam, that could have been done so much better".

I'd really like to see the Predators and the story concept approached with less cheese and better writing, go Shane Black! :cool:thumbsup

To be fair, they had just watched the hostages get shot so there was no danger of hurting them by "going loud".

Do we know there was ever more than one hostage?
Yes, the story that was "Cooked up" by the CIA before "dropping the 6 of us in the meat-grinder" ;) was that there was at least 2 hostages, a high ranking cabinet member and their aide, but possibly more from "Da Choppa". After the attack the 2nd hostage is confirmed but found to be a CIA operative rather than a cabinet member The whole point that Arnold makes is that they are a rescue team not assassins.

Guys, Predator was a comic book, action, sci-fi adventure.

Seriously discussing their tactics goes right out the window with Blaine carrying the mini-gun! :lol

That being said Shane can't do any worse than what has already been put out. :facepalm

I may finally have to check out Halloween Horror Nights, you guys see this yet? If they have full costumes as part of the attraction, I may try to beat up one of the scarers and take his Pred costume :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane Black is directing, huh?

Soooo...I guess we know what the plot is.

A hotheaded loose canon predator (Xortan "Plasma" Frakes) is in pursuit of a rare albino xenomorph, but manages to rampage through downtown Los Angeles in the process of hunting the xenomorph (known as "Mr. Smiley") down, causing several million dollars of damage in the process.

The loose canon predator fails to catch Mr. Smiley, and is immediately called into the Chief Predator's office. The Chief reams out Frakes, telling him he's out of control, and needs a partner. Frakes tells him "This is bull****, Chief! You know I hunt alone!" The Chief tells him "Frakes, you need to rein it in. You're either gonna on suspension, riding a desk, or you say hello to your new partner. Your choice."

Frakes grudgingly accepts, and is introduced to his new partner, an older, by-the-book predator named Zalbot Durlanski. Together, they must pursue Mr. Smiley before he can move fifteen kilos of a new, designer xenomorph drug known as "royal jelly," while navigating their own radically different hunting styles.

In the final fight, Durlanski is injured, but manages to take out Mr. Smiley's associate -- a silent enforcer praetorian alien known only as "The Big Guy." Meanwhile, after making sure his partner is ok, Frakes finally manages to catch Mr. Smiley. After pinning him with his razor-net, Frakes looks at Smiley and coldly tells him "I thought you knew. Plasma's too hot to handle." Then blows him away with his shoulder cannon.

Frakes and Durlanski slow walk away from an explosion that destroys the entire shipment of "royal jelly."

Roll credits.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back