Full Size R5-D4 build for under £30 (Foam and card)

Kirk0

So I started this last week, probably put around 25 - 30 hours into it so far.
Whole build is going to be card and foam, some of the smaller details I'll likely use some bits of piping and stuff.
Majority has been done with various different paper template files I've found or made myself hopefully will have it finished within a week, 2 at the most.
What you can see in the pictures is all still very rough, the skin hasn't been engraved yet and is just roughly pinned onto the card body.
The legs still need the front attaching correctly at the minute again its just tacked on with a couple of blobs of glue, as I've cut down the wooden pole and attached them to it inside first.
The head needs a bunch of reinforcing with card and foam as right now its quite floppy.
So far I've spent around £10 on 4 rolls of foam, probably another 3 rolls needed which will bring it up to £17.50 I've got a fair amount of white, chrome and red paint left over from past Stormtrooper and Iron man builds so shouldn't need to spend much if anything at all on paint and probably used about £5's worth of glue sticks.
I'm classing this one as a trial build, if it all goes well, I'll likely put this on ebay and go for a more expensive foam next time. I use these blue camping mats a lot for trial builds as they're only £2.50.

20140613_153539_resized.jpg20140613_153532_resized.jpg20140619_160748_resized.jpg20140619_162207_resized.jpg20140621_153522_resized (1).jpg

looking good sir! you work very fast indeed:thumbsup
I'm building an R6 from cardboard, come check my build when you have a spare minute.
what colour scheme you gonna go with?

Going to go with the classic white and red R5 scheme on this one.
I've been following your build it's great, really tidy, has made me tempted to give card build a try myself.

Looks great! I'm trying to do R5-D4 in 1/4 scale. Just need the head. Where did you find the template? Thanks!

Wow this is amazing! I've always liked the "plant pot" headed astro droids, they're slightly underestimated I think because everyone does R2 or one of the domed ones,I've no skill what so ever with this sort of thing, I'd really like a couple of droids to go in my room next to my display cases, one like this and maybe a mouse droid cos they're cute! Haha

I'd never attempted any sort of foam pep build until last year, it's actually not to difficult once you get started.

A foam built light weight R2 is exactly what i need to ride on the back of my Landspeeder. Any one in the States have an R2D2 that they'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price. I don't need it to do anything but look good and be light weight. No servos or sounds. I'm open to offers.

So this is another project I've had lying around for over a year which I've decided to try and finish.
In the pictures it won't look much different but I've spent a while last week trying to reinforce the legs so the unit will stand on its own (in all previous pictures its propped up in the middle where the middle foot would be), I also reinforced the head as it was very floppy so it has now a cardboard frame inside to make it keep its shape.
I have grills and vents and things to make and add to the body, details needs making and adding to the legs and also the eye parts (likely bottle lids) and antenna on the head need adding then this thing will be ready for paint. I also need to raise the height of the legs where they meet the feet, this just needs some wooden blocks adding to the wooden rods in the legs as the feet are currently just sat in place.
I figure as this is quite messy its going to be a weathered paint job so some of the dents etc look like weathering. Hopefully this will be finished within the next month

20151109_162358_resized.jpg20151109_162437_resized.jpg20151109_162323_resized.jpg20151109_162318_resized.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with how this turned out, its a full size R5 unit its its only going to have cost me around £30 and its extremely light.
I'm definitely going to have another attempt at this next year with better foam, with a more expensive foam I can use a hot knife to engrave the panels to give a much smoother cleaner look to the skin.

A quick update on this, painting is gradually getting done, once I've finished the base coats of white will start painting the red parts then the fans vents etc and get them all glued in place.
20151124_151242.jpg

Been gradually finding little bits and pieces which should work as little greebles for the head and legs.

I've given this another coat today and also started painting all the little parts which I still need to glue into place once painted, I also need to reglue some seems as some aren't glued very well.
I'm really pleased with how this has turned out given the poor quality foam mats I used, I'm looking forwards to redoing this in the future using a higher quality, thicker less floppy foam and some different tools. This build has served its purpose of showing me what is possible on a low budget I may next time also use some moulded parts for the body details etc rather than building them from scratch with foam.
2015-11-25 14.36.33.jpg

I've just about resolved the foot height issue just need to do a bit of trimming and then cover up the insides.
2015-11-28 12.26.11.jpg

Head is almost finished,think I'm going to have to get some sort of thin red tape for the pin stripe details as there is no way I can do that by hand and masking tape will likely pull the paint off the foam.
20151130_163107_resized.jpg20151130_163056_resized.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back