Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Yeah! Imagine that! Some young kid, new to the force, probably hasn't even completed her training... and she's going to be the one to go and fight the bad guy! Ridiculous!
Hey, remember that time that the young, untrained kid took on the big bad guy in a duel instead of the Jedi Knight who was alive and present?
Yeah, me either.

Okay so I didn't really think that last part through to completion! :lol :facepalm There was a reason Obi Wan and Yoda didn't fight. Yoda tried and was defeated, Obi Wan probably figured if Yoda couldn't beat Sidious he couldn't, so somehow they thought Luke could. I assume it's because he would have a phenomenally high midichlorian count because of his dad.here Luke is just being a wuss when he should be fighting. Luke is completely able to help here, he just won't. To me that's worse than if he went to the Dark Side. He's just willing to allow others to go die when he could help.

I still don't know why they'd go a route that they know would **** off a large amount of fans by neutering Luke.

Ugh. We've seen these movies before. They were called "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi". All Disney has done is to add a not-so-clever "twist". It'll make a bundle. That's all that matters anymore. Star Wars had the chance to elevate itself in these movies. Instead, Disney has been content to let it be the cinematic McDonald's. Pity.

Say DISNEY one more ******** time! Rian Johnson was given creative freedom to write this movie, he says he feels it is his movie as much as anything he's ever written before. This myth that Disney execs are sitting in a f'n board room deciding story points is such utter BS.

My step-son, who isn't really a Star Wars fan, said he'd go watch it with us. Then his girlfriend said she'd go too. Thankfully there were tickets left. Its the 11:20 AM Saturday showing, so I was hoping there would some left.

Say DISNEY one more ******** time! Rian Johnson was given creative freedom to write this movie, he says he feels it is his movie as much as anything he's ever written before. This myth that Disney execs are sitting in a f'n board room deciding story points is such utter BS.
Disney..... JJ and KK are in those meetings and deciding those things on behalf of the Disney execs I'm sure. The whole Crait thing, and especially having original AT-AT's next to the Gorilla Walkers for size comparison screams "JJ" a lot more than Rian Johnson. I don't believe much, if anything, coming out of the mouths of corporate Hollywood these days. Rian is just playing the game.

The burden of proof is on you to show that he didn't make those choices. There's no need for Lucasfilm if it's all "Disney". There would be no need for Lucasfilm story group either, with many employees that have been there for 2 or 3 decades or more.

Last edited:

DISNEY!! DISNEY! DISNEY!!! Yeah. They're just giving everybody free reign to do what they want with this property that they invested billions in and continue to pump money into. Just like they did on Rogue One... EVERYTHING that comes out of these people's mouths is political. All dancing to the tune. Not a syllable can or should be taken at face value. Disney set the reboot tone with TFA. None of that was by accident or creative happenstance. It's the mouse holding and pulling the strings.

DISNEY!! DISNEY! DISNEY!!! Yeah. They're just giving everybody free reign to do what they want with this property that they invested billions in and continue to pump money into. Just like they did on Rogue One... EVERYTHING that comes out of these people's mouths is political. All dancing to the tune. Not a syllable can or should be taken at face value. Disney set the reboot tone with TFA. None of that was by accident or creative happenstance. It's the mouse holding and pulling the strings.

Just gotta ask, are you being serious or is that sarcasm?
Robert

Not sure if this is known or not (not reading 254 pages, lol!) but Mark Hamil said on Colbert tonight that it's the longest Star Wars movie at 2.5 hours.

While Disney surely isn't taking a hands off approach on their sizable investment, I doubt they're in every production meeting calling the shots on every little detail. If an artistic decision is made that they feel will negatively impact the brand and it's marketing, I'm sure they'll insist on a change, but I don't think the atmosphere is oppressive as some make it out to be.

It seems anyone who makes a Star Wars film for some time will have a tough row to hoe. Given the backlash against everything since the original trilogy, they'll have to walk the line between pandering fan service and being TOO different.

Anyway, only 5 days to go....

Setting up for the premiere here in L.A.:

24899700_1794557733909281_4702104418296972109_n.jpg

Okay so I didn't really think that last part through to completion! :lol :facepalm There was a reason Obi Wan and Yoda didn't fight. Yoda tried and was defeated, Obi Wan probably figured if Yoda couldn't beat Sidious he couldn't, so somehow they thought Luke could. I assume it's because he would have a phenomenally high midichlorian count because of his dad.here Luke is just being a wuss when he should be fighting. Luke is completely able to help here, he just won't. To me that's worse than if he went to the Dark Side. He's just willing to allow others to go die when he could help.

I still don't know why they'd go a route that they know would **** off a large amount of fans by neutering Luke.
And I was being more prickly than I should have been :) That's just become SUCH a massive irritant to me - listening to people excuse the terrible writing of Rey in TFA by trying to claim it's exactly the same a Luke having a three-movie arc that took him from callow youth, regularly needing to have his bacon saved, to a young man discovering his own power, but being too impetuous and too sure of himself to understand his own limitations and getting his butt handed to him and his whole world shattered as a result, to finally maturing into a sober and capable adult. That's WORLDS away from the lazy shortcuts JJ took with Rey and her "I didn't believe Jedi existed 30 minutes ago, then Han Solo told me they did, so I now am teh Forse - take that, Kylo!!!!!!"
Except that KK said that, during TFA at any rate, she regularly was taking phone calls from Bob Iger at 3 in the morning as he was watching dailies. I don't find it in any way credible that 3 Am calls from the head of Disney are just friendly chats to say 'hi!'. Disney was/is actively protecting their investment.

And I was being more prickly than I should have been :) That's just become SUCH a massive irritant to me - listening to people excuse the terrible writing of Rey in TFA by trying to claim it's exactly the same a Luke having a three-movie arc that took him from callow youth, regularly needing to have his bacon saved, to a young man discovering his own power, but being too impetuous and too sure of himself to understand his own limitations and getting his butt handed to him and his whole world shattered as a result, to finally maturing into a sober and capable adult. That's WORLDS away from the lazy shortcuts JJ took with Rey and her "I didn't believe Jedi existed 30 minutes ago, then Han Solo told me they did, so I now am teh Forse - take that, Kylo!!!!!!"

But that's by design, not by happenstance or an effort to mirror Luke's journey. Rey is imbued with the Force for some reason we don't understand yet. She is stronger in the Force innately then Luke was and possibly his equal even now. Everyone keeps trying to jam her character into the traditional dogma of Padawan, Apprentice, Jedi knight, Jedi Master hierarchy but she clearly isn't going down that road and she doesn't understand any of it.

Except that KK said that, during TFA at any rate, she regularly was taking phone calls from Bob Iger at 3 in the morning as he was watching dailies. I don't find it in any way credible that 3 Am calls from the head of Disney are just friendly chats to say 'hi!'. Disney was/is actively protecting their investment.

ALL that, plus porgs. They are a clear indication of Disney's influence (imho).

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back