Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Ok, you're probably right there. it's been a while since I read HTTE. I'm guessing by your name you know it well. I think GL made the clones to transition into Stormtroopers just to tie things together. I don't believe it was part of the story at the time of writing ANH.
Fett was so great that he employed that idiot Zam Wessel to make two failed attempts at killing Amidala instead of doing the job right in the first place, so yeah, poorly written.

I have got a pic. Not sure where it is from though ... I downloaded it in 2000.

stormtroopers-clones.gif

Last edited:
That's part of the reason a lot of people didn't like the Prequels. Lucas didn't personally go ask everyone what they thought, It doesn't matter one iota what we the fans thought happened before the OT over 22 years. It's Lucas' story to tell.

A lot of people did not like the prequels because they are terrible movies made by a man who is so obsessed with living up to his almost mythical status as a filmmaker that he stopped caring about artistic integrity and mostly his fans and ruined a beloved franchise for many people.

Lucas never had any overarching story line planned out beyond Return of the Jedi, and no amount of trying to rationalize imaginary connections between the old and new trilogie will ever be anything but delusional thinking by people who want to see some grand vision in the prequel movies.

I highly doubt the newsclipping above is from 1977 because Lucas stated a hundred times back then that Stromtroopers are just normal people conscripted in to the Empire.

As a kid i always thought that the clones in the Clone Wars would be the enemy and not on the side of the Republic.

Last edited:
Ugh! It (the information) is from a monthly poster magazine published in 1977. It's corroborated in Wookieepedia, which also mentions the duel between Obi Wan and Anakin (then Vader) "near a volcano". Why is this so difficult a thing to grasp or accept?

Why is this so difficult a thing to grasp or accept?

Because Lucas must be stripped of any and all credibility. I don't know how many times I've had to grab my Mom's 1976 copy of the "Star Wars" novelization to read people the prologue, show them that DARk lord of the siTH, was there since the beginning, etc.

I suspect Lucas will be just a footnote in the history of the saga in just a decade or two. I'm nearly done with this thing.

Lucas stripped himself of his credibility by flipflopping on every aspect of Star Wars over the past 40 years. The man did a lot of good, unfortunately he also ruined a lot about what made Star Wars so iconic.

I guess it all comes down to personal taste.

Just because some obscure news article from a magazine that had zero involvement from Lucas says that stromtroopers are clones, does not make it so. I have 200 Star Wars books in my closet that all say conflicting things.

Come on, how can you take the guy seriously? He maintained for 25 years that stromtroopers are not clones, and only around 1996 when he started wrighting the prequels does he say "Ohhh no, the were clones all allong"

And then he starts screwing up the original trilogy by adding in all sorts of stupid prequel stuff just to link 6 movies together that have nothing in common with eachother, the man is a menace and his movies should have been protected against his madness.

Stories always change while they develop. While George had ideas of what might happen, they didn't always hold true... or they changed to fit the grander scheme of things. We see it all the time, it isn't anything new or different. He paints with a broad brush and then refines the details.

There are plenty of times he's changed or rethought his ideas. That's part of the creative process.

I've argued the Stormtroopers are (were) clones debate to death. There's a lot of evidence that they were meant to be clones - although many with argue the contrary.

Best thing to remember.....don't use George Lucas's quotes

He changes his story from one interview to the next to suit his needs

The best thing to acknowledge is what you see on screen in the OT,....the Stormtroopers are all roughly the same height.....but individual,...so perhaps a mixture of different clone batches &/or recruits

Back then..('in 77).... no one knew what they were.....but in magazines etc we were told they were drones of the Imperial Empire

J

Ok, you're probably right there. it's been a while since I read HTTE. I'm guessing by your name you know it well.

It's the one and only series I read and I will not have its good name smeared! :lol No I got the name from the book to use for an old website for models/props, and just kept using it after the site stopped.

I will agree that Lucas does and did change things whether that is unintentional because it's 40 years later or not. You can't argue that he did have some things worked out, but changed where they fit in (like taking Mace and Windu and putting them together for one character). Some thing like midichlorians he did come up with while writing ANH though because they are in the notes. Somehow, for me anyway, that makes them a little more palatable than if he just did it to fit the "symbiosis" narrative in TPM. A little.

As for Stormtroopers I'm okay with a small portion being clones and the majority are recruits. What I don't like is them saying that certain units were Kamino clones because that would mean the Endor Stormtroopers would have to be Kamino clones because the Emperor said they were his best troops. :facepalm

Best thing to remember.....don't use George Lucas's quotes

He changes his story from one interview to the next to suit his needs

The best thing to acknowledge is what you see on screen in the OT,....the Stormtroopers are all roughly the same height.....but individual,...so perhaps a mixture of different clone batches &/or recruits

Back then..('in 77).... no one knew what they were.....but in magazines etc we were told they were drones of the Imperial Empire

J

Did one man provide the voice for all the Stormtrooper (TK, TD, TB, etc.) dialogue in the OT? I doubt it. If they were clones, they'd all have the same voice.

The Wook

When he says he sort of built Boba out of Stormtroopers, he means literally. Boba's design was intended for a new type of Stormtrooper in Empire, which was abandoned. The original armour was white. This is well-documented. I can't take any Lucas quote seriously. He's proven too inconsistent. I think the story changes by the day in his head. I can manage that myself without him.

Does anybody remember the original Wonder Bread trading cards? I seem to vaguely remember that on the Stormtrooper card it referred to them as Drones of the Empire. Not really sure what that would mean and I'm not sure if my memory serves correct, but I think it did say that. Not that it really matters though I guess.

And I still have that poster magazine, safely tucked away in the closet!!

I have that poster book also and I remember the clones bit, and with the clone wars mentioned twice in ANH I never questioned it. So the troopers being clones in ep.2 made sense even if the Jango Fett part sucked, I'd always assumed they were clones of several different people anyway.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back