Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII

I think the main thing is that Rey and Kylo will continue to be developed as parallel characters. Ren is really more of anti-Luke Skywalker than another Darth Vader. I think both characters arc's will mirror each other to some extent.

I don't think we will see Luke do much sabre stuff or Force super powers. That was the prequels and the old EU/Legends. TFA went back to basics; the Force was mostly about the mind and spirit and the contest of wills during the two times that Rey and Kylo confronted each other. They brought out the super-powered, telekinesis stuff pretty sparingly and only for dramatic effect, just like the OT. So I think they will continue to be reserved with that sort of thing.
I don't think Luke will fight Ren or save her bacon. I'm glad they didn't do that in TFA and I don't think they will do that here.

I'm leaning more and more towards the camp that Rey is not Luke's daughter. Too obvious and it doesn't really jive with Maz' comment about Luke being her future and her family
being behind her. She clearly has a connection to the other characters, and I think both Leia and Ren know or at least suspect what it is.

I hope we will see the further development of the friendship between Rey, Finn, and Poe. Rey and Poe haven't even met yet and while Finn is good friends (only friends) with both of them they need to be developed into this trilogy's family, just as Luke, Leia, and Han were for the OT.

I think Snap Wexley, Greg Grunenburg's character, is going to be the new Wedge.

I expect we will find out the full details of the fall of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, the failure of Luke's new Jedi, and what he has been doing all of this time. Did he find the first Jedi temple and if so what did he learn and why did he remain hidden?

I think we will find out all about Rey and who she is and where she comes from.

Artoo and Chewie will probably be in it. The fact that they both went with Rey to see Luke is probably significant. I imagine they writers intend to use those characters. Chewie's role in TFA was the most significant one he's had in any movie. Really liked the moment he had with Rey in the Falcon cockpit at the end.

I'm really curious how much time will pass between the two films. Both Rey and Ren had cliffhangers that imply immediate resolution. We obviously want to see that first dialogue between Rey and Luke, and we want to see what Snoke has to say to Ren in the aftermath of the events of TFA (he's success in killing his father, his failure to defeat Rey).

I think Leia, Chewie, Artoo, and Threepio will survive the new trilogy. I think chances are Luke will not, and he will be killed by Snoke, possibly in a way that mirrors his fathers' sacrifice in Jedi. If this happens I think it will help Kylo Ren turn back to the light, but probably not until IX.

I think we will get some hints as to who Snoke is and where he comes from but he will still remain pretty mysterious.

With Maz it's hard to say either way. She will almost certainly turn up in the Han Solo movie but she has a lot of knowledge about Jedi/Sith lore and the Graflex lightsaber, which is obviously significant to the story given Ren recognizing it and not being surprised that it had been found. However, I suspect she won't appear again in the sequel trilogy, but probably turn up in a lot of other places.

I hope Daisy Ridley is really good at hand stands.

and villains can be redeemed.

It's just not right for Kylo Ren. This is a character who's introduction in the movie consists of striking down an unarmed old man and a few moments later orders his entire unit to gun down a recently pacified village. What follows next? Torture, mind rape, attacking more settlements, more torture, more mind rape and a shot of him admiring the view of a beam that wipes out a densely populated solar system. In the recent words of the Cinema Snob,

"He just Jackson Pollock'ed a Cantina with a bunch of space nazis. He's a little passed grounding at this point."

If they actually make this series about Kylo Ren being the real hero of this new trilogy and have him come out being the good guy, I'm going to quit Star Wars in all forms right than and there. You cannot undermine the fact that he took part in all those horrible atrocities. Just as fans are saying it would be more of a surprise that Rey isn't a Skywalker, it would also be a surprise if Kylo Ren actually remains a villain throughout.

I tend to agree and would like to see Ben Solo being beyond redeeming for a change of pace...but many will say that if Anakin Skywalker can murder a bunch of 5 year olds and be redeemed, anyone can.

I tend to agree and would like to see Ben Solo being beyond redeeming for a change of pace...but many will say that if Anakin Skywalker can murder a bunch of 5 year olds and be redeemed, anyone can.

Yeah I like the idea of good in everyone but for a change it would be nice to see him non redeemed.

Ben

It's just not right for Kylo Ren. This is a character who's introduction in the movie consists of striking down an unarmed old man and a few moments later orders his entire unit to gun down a recently pacified village. What follows next? Torture, mind rape, attacking more settlements, more torture, more mind rape and a shot of him admiring the view of a beam that wipes out a densely populated solar system. In the recent words of the Cinema Snob,

"He just Jackson Pollock'ed a Cantina with a bunch of space nazis. He's a little passed grounding at this point."

If they actually make this series about Kylo Ren being the real hero of this new trilogy and have him come out being the good guy, I'm going to quit Star Wars in all forms right than and there. You cannot undermine the fact that he took part in all those horrible atrocities. Just as fans are saying it would be more of a surprise that Rey isn't a Skywalker, it would also be a surprise if Kylo Ren actually remains a villain throughout.

This is what I don't understand from a lot of people. They're dead set against redeeming Ren in principal - due to what he's done - not just for story reasons. However, it seems that it's OK that Vader was redeemed in ROTJ. Vader did worse over a much larger time span than Ren. Not to mention, from what I saw, Ren wasn't a huge part of the mega weapon either - that was much more Hux and Snoke. Ren only cared about skywalker, the map, and vader.

I agree. Not everybody can be saved. I would really enjoy watching Kylo's internal struggle between the light and dark. Maybe, like Vader, he kills Snoke but instead of turning to the light he becomes even more seduced to the dark side. But in the end, his arrogance will best him and it will more than likely be Rey who cuts him down. And despite comforting Kylo in his final moments, just as Luke did with Vader, Kylo will renounce Rey, the light, and ultimately the relation to his family.

I just don't see an ultimately dark villain in the character we were given in TFA. I just see someone who is conflicted and doesn't have really solid judgement. Mother knows best, and if she says there is still light in him, I'm on her side.

This is what I don't understand from a lot of people. They're dead set against redeeming Ren in principal - due to what he's done - not just for story reasons. However, it seems that it's OK that Vader was redeemed in ROTJ. Vader did worse over a much larger time span than Ren. Not to mention, from what I saw, Ren wasn't a huge part of the mega weapon either - that was much more Hux and Snoke. Ren only cared about skywalker, the map, and vader.

Oh, no. Nonononono. I am not one of those fans who thinks that it was OK that Vader was redeemed at the end of ROTJ. You cannot undo decades of tyranny and murder by merely tossing an old guy off a catwalk! He died to protect his son? Well good news galaxy. Now he's off the hook forever! As a Force Ghost he doesn't have to worry about helping anyone else.

If there is to be any redemption from Kylo Ren, it's got to be something that feels earned, and that is going to be freaking hard. Saving one important person and killing an important person is not enough.

It's not redemption when you look at your son as a death row inmate. It's forgiveness, a path that the good guys take, that makes them stronger. I would say that Vader's moment was just enough for him to earn back his sons forgiveness. His son and daughter have a funeral for him instead of cursing his name. Doesn't mean the whole galaxy is right there with him. It's a familial bond and I think they'll carry over those values, hopefully, in the next films.

i think those ideals are easier to understand when you're talking about a son and mother relationship. Even if Leias son is a cold blooded killer, if he were to try to go back to her, how could she refuse?

I want to see Kylo turn good and Rey turn bad. Now that would be a twist. And why wouldn't you want Luke to kick some a55? I want to see him own Kylo in a saber match.

Someone said what if it was Rey who slaughtered all Lukes trainees & had the memory wipe

J

I mentioned it briefly. Just toying with the plot twist theory. I mean, I think it would be really cool if somehow we had Rey become this extremely flawed hero who can't trust herself to not give in to the Darkside...she appeared to almost give in when fighting Banjo Ben
Someone said what if it was Rey who slaughtered all Lukes trainees & had the memory wipe

J

I personally find the notion that Rey killed the trainees and is a powerful darksider that's had a memory wipe to be intriguing (like the Darth Revan twist in KOTOR) but I'm thinking that won't happen. It seems like Rey is being marketed as a role model for little girls and her being an "agent of evil" might undermine that a bit. Now if it turns out she killed the trainees, is mortified upon finding out and ultimately remains "good", that could be a different story.

I think it's gonna go two ways with Kylo-he's either going to get killed,or he's gonna do a switch and be redeemed....

That said I'm kinda hoping he survives but instead of coming back as a good guy he tells everybody thanks but he needs to be alone and walks off to his own adventures.

It would be cool if Wedge & General Madine made a return

Dermot is brilliant in Luther

schenk_def.jpg

Dennis looks like he takes no ****
220px-Denis_Lawson_cropped.jpg

J

Dennis Lawson was actually asked to make a cameo but he refused stating he thought it'd be "too boring" or something to that effect.

At a certain point, I was thought Kylo Ren is unredeemable - I mean, he killed Han Solo - his father - our hero for three other movies.

Is it like Darth Vader killing Obi-Wan?

Yes... and no.

At that point, we only knew Obi-Wan for part of one movie and he (pretty much) sacrificed himself. Vader and Kenobi (most likely) hadn't seen one another since their last battle - and that left Vader scarred and broken and with a arguably a real reason to hate his former master.

While Vader very much killed Obi-Wan, it wasn't quite as much in cold blood as they were dueling, Kylo and Han weren't in the midst of a fight were Han opted to drop his defenses - he was completely defenseless. I'm sure Han thought there was a very real chance their encounter could've ended up the way it did, he wasn't looking for a fight nor sacrificing himself (that we know of - and I still hope that this isn't the case).

Still, Darth Vader was evil. We know what he did - with padawans and the rest of the story... a real nasty, terrible person. He shouldn't be worthy or redemption either - sure, that last minute change of faith - being swayed to the light for a brief moment and killing his master (and someone just as evil and dirty as he was); but, that doesn't really redeem what had happened since he was seduced to the darkside, that doesn't make him any less guilty or terrible a person.

The definition of redemption says: the action of regaining or gaining possession of something in exchange for payment, or clearing a debt. Is what Vader did enough to clear the debt of all the bad he had done?

....and what could Ben Solo do to redeem killing Han Solo? Is killing Snoke and disabling the First Order enough? It seems more than anything he wants to be Kylo Ren, he wants to be on the darkside, whereas his grandfather was seduced, tricked into (although he obviously showed a tendency towards the dark).

The thing is, I always thought Anakin was the exception to the rule, an exceptional case. Even at his worst, he was never fully "dark" and there was still a pinpoint of light within his being. In every other case, we've been told falling to the darkside was permanent and irreversible. Maybe that's just Jedi propaganda (which would be kinda lame)? I viewed Kylo killing Han as the thing that irrevocably sealed the deal. His connection to Han (but not Leia apparently) was the only thing keeping him from fully embracing the Dark side and that barrier is now gone.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back