Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I hope not, I don't like anything about this theory and I think it's far from what we will actually see. The only universe you introduce a beloved female lead and then have that be her fate is Reddit fan fiction.

What's wrong about that? We have to have repeated stories of lead male characters falling from grace all the time, but god forbid we have a female character do the same for once? If you stick to the cookie-cutter predictable nature of story telling, you're not going to do anything different, unique or memorable, you're essentially wrapping yourself in pillows to keep yourself safe from any harm

What's wrong about that? We have to have repeated stories of lead male characters falling from grace all the time, but god forbid we have a female character do the same for once? If you stick to the cookie-cutter predictable nature of story telling, you're not going to do anything different, unique or memorable, you're essentially wrapping yourself in pillows to keep yourself safe from any harm

I have news for you, Star Wars is an cookie cutter narrative and there is zero chance the break that just because some might think it's cool. Rey is the hero of the trilogy and possibly beyond. It's a trope and one they are exceedingly unlikely to violate.

Star Wars isn't about falling from grace (well, it wasn't until those damned prequels...).
Rey is a hero to little girls all around the world who would be crushed if she turns evil.
Do you really expect Disney to break the hearts of a billion little girls?
She'll have to wrestle with her emotions just like Luke did, I'm sure.
She'll be filled with hatred, she'll act out of anger, and she'll remember that that's the path to the dark side and she'll check herself.

I wonder if Luke will address his own brief turning to the Dark Side, cause I'm pretty sure he gave in to all his anger when he defeated Vader but then realized and turned back.

I have news for you, Star Wars is an cookie cutter narrative and there is zero chance the break that just because some might think it's cool. Rey is the hero of the trilogy and possibly beyond. It's a trope and one they are exceedingly unlikely to violate.

While possibly true, it doesn't or shouldn't negate the possibility that she turns short term and Luke or Luke and Kylo have to bring her back in order to defeat snoke. She can still come out the hero in the end. Or, you could have the possibility that Luke or the resistance figures out that Snoke is using Kylo to get to Rey and they set up an elaborate scheme where she seemingly goes dark side only - and we are led to believe that at the end of 8 only for the truth to come out in 9.

None of that is necessarily what happens, but they should all be possible.

How exactly was Luke a role model for kids if you just look at ESB? He complained, quit his training, then got his butt kicked, and lost his hand and his best friend got frozen. What matters is where they end up at the end of 9, not 8.

While possibly true, it doesn't or shouldn't negate the possibility that she turns short term and Luke or Luke and Kylo have to bring her back in order to defeat snoke. She can still come out the hero in the end. Or, you could have the possibility that Luke or the resistance figures out that Snoke is using Kylo to get to Rey and they set up an elaborate scheme where she seemingly goes dark side only - and we are led to believe that at the end of 8 only for the truth to come out in 9.

How exactly was Luke a role model for kids if you just look at ESB? He complained, quit his training, then got his butt kicked, and lost his hand and his best friend got frozen. What matters is where they end up at the end of 9, not 8.

Sure but that's a far sight from what was posted in the comment I was replying too.

If Rey is turning to the darkside why the hell is Snoke torturing her? Not a good way to win a pupil over is it?
We know he seduced Kylo, thats who he is talking to at the begininning "When I found you......" Snoke doesn't find Rey, he didn't even know she existed until her "awakening" in TFA. Remember that?
So its likely this is a little pep talk after a sad and rather heavily scarred Kylo returns to him after he had his ass quite thoroughly kicked by Rey, who as we all know is tremendously talented.
And when Luke is talking about "raw power" he's talking about the duel with the Emperor , who pretty much was on his way to completely barbecueing him with sheet lightning in ROTJ. If good old dad hadn't finally stepped in, Luke was a goner!!! And he knew it.
Its far more likely that Luke will be testing her by perhaps tempting her with elements of the darkside , probably far harder than he ever did with Ben, because he became Kylo.
Lets be honest these have not been good years for Luke, his origin as Vaders son has been revealed, his training plan for a new generation of Jedi destroyed and out of nowhere a new Empire has arisen who has corrupted (without him realising it) somebody who was not only his nephew but his strongest pupil of the Force.
So if somebody turned up on my doorstep with all these amazing force powers wanting to know what I knew I would be bloody cautious about teaching her anything as well. Infact what the hell does Luke actually know about her, there are alot of odd coincidences surrounding her and he obviously doesn't have a clue about her origin at the openning of this.

I admire how Lucasfilm is trying to muddy the water with all this misdirection ,Snoke would be well proud of them.

"Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be."

Kylo's idea of a motivational speech to turn Rey?

I like that they're holding back on Luke. So far, he looks appropriately grizzled and intense.

I'm thinking about taking Johnson's advice to just wait for the movie to come out and skip the new trailer. You know the old saying, abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. Or is that absinthe?

I wish I had done that. I told myself I would, when Mark and Rian made the request. But I received a bunch of texts and emails overnight from friends asking, "Whoa?! Did you see Chewie in the new trailer?!?! He looks like crap!!!!". So, I watched it. And I'm sorry I did. I hate spoilers, and I hate false-spoilers (what you folks are calling misdirection).

Did I like the trailer? Meh, it was okay, and there was some really cool stuff in there. But I don't trust trailers, because there are so many horrible movies that had great trailers.

Game? Is there a big football game on?

No, it was a Sportball game.

When Luke says he's seen this power before, he means Vader right? Or is Kylo more powerful than we know.

He means Kylo. Luke says, "I've only seen this much raw power once before". He's qualifying the power as "raw". Vader's power was not raw, it was refined. (Certainly by the time Luke met him.) No, Luke is clearly lamenting that he failed in training Kylo by not fearing how much raw power the kid had, and the kid spun out control, out of Luke's influence.

This is going to be FUN!

Man, I hope you're right! I'm tempted to say I have a good feeling about this, but I can't, because I've been burned so many times before.

You bet, but I think it's a misdirection.

I fracking hate misdirections in trailers. Anticipating something to happen in a movie that doesn't, sucks.

Are they implying Kylo goes full on matricidal now too?

Seeing Carrie was hands-down my favorite part of the trailer. I know she was old, and had lots of work done on her face...but those eyes...those soulful brown eyes of hers, are the same as they've always been. I'm so thankful we get to see her one more time.

Ok guys can someone quote my post and reply so I don’t watch get spoiled.

Should I watch this or does it reveal too much of the story?

I watched it, halliwax, against my better judgement, and regret it.

If you haven't succumbed to the temptation yet, don't. Keep your resolve, and wait for the picture, like Mark and Rian requested.

I think that's a bit ridiculous to think that the Chewie roar is CG? I'd imagine that it's practical just like the suit.

They've given away SOOOO MUCH PLOT: The Porgs definitely become a factor. The Porg becomes the new captain of the millennium falcon!!!

Hey @crabra commander ! I think "ridiculous" might be a bit strong a word there buddy. Slow that video down and frame by frame it my friend (starts at 1:31) and then compare it to known practical makeups.

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764944

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764945

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764946

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764947

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764948

CGI Chewie...
View attachment 764949

See the difference? I think it's just Lucasfilm trying to show off how good they are at CGI-ing characters. They're getting cocky because of what they were able to achieve in Rogue One (and even there we recognized the work as CGI, though we let it slide for the movie's sake). But just like the added Jabba's Palace Scenes with the CGI singers in ROTJ, I think they're showing they're not quite as good as they think they are. If I'm proven wrong thinking this is CGI and it's a practical makeup... it's the most CGI looking makeup I've ever seen. Maybe we'll find out once the Blu-Ray is released with "The Making Of" scenes in it? Until then, and even after then, it doesn't look real to me.

Looks totally CG. It's an abomination.

Chewie's eyes is what kills it. Look at all the pics, you can barely see them. From the trailer, the whites just POP right out at you! Terrible CGI....

The eyes look CG, as well.

He's my favorite character, and he looks like crap. Not a happy camper, here, folks.

I agree with you, cboath, but as long as KK is making these movies, Rey will always be virtuous.

And when Luke is talking about "raw power" he's talking about the duel with the Emperor, who pretty much was on his way to completely barbecueing him with sheet lightning in ROTJ. If good old dad hadn't finally stepped in, Luke was a goner!!! And he knew it.

CT, I can see why you might think that, but no, stay in present. Luke is talking about his failure to recognize and properly harness Kylo's power. THAT is the guilt he bears. He failed his nephew. He failed his sister. And he failed his best friend--mortally.

The Wook

The Wook, you are a treasure to the RPF. Never believe otherwise.:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

As I watch the trailer again. Man...seeing Luke watch his Jedi camp burn had to hurt him extra. Must have been like watching his old Homestead burn with his Aunt and Uncle, or even brought back memories of burning his Father's dead body on Endor.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Rey is with Kylo and he puts his hand out to her, what if she then chopped his hand off with her saber. That'd actually fit into Star Wars.

I've got news for you; They made a movie called "Rogue One" where all the main characters died at the end to include a "strong female lead" and didn't include a Skywalker as a primary antagonist.

I wonder if this is Snoke giving Kylo a new lightsaber, even though its nearly identical. It's odd that it looks cleanly painted black now, no wear and tear as before.

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 3.07.42 PM.png

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back