Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

chiang. the official site is trying to already label him "legend".

barface.jpg

I've never been a fan of Chiang's work. His prequel work was pretty awful, at least for SW. This stuff isn't really any better. Just a different kind of awkward. Why does be still work on SW? Oy....
I quite liked the prequel designs. There were a few duds. Are there specific designs that at attributed to him?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think the red glass is cool. It could be a special piece of infrared technology serving more function over just a look.

I'm okay with the designs. Maybe their principal ship designer perished in the DS2 and have been struggling to find someone talented willing to work on some cool new designs for the First Order. And maybe the contract engineers for the Resistance are resisting on their end as well because of unfair union pay and are resorting to student engineers? HAHA!

You're flying in, you know, space - for the most part. Site is going to be a factor - so your design is to filter it through red tinted glass?? Good thing he flies sensing things through the force, cause he'll have a harder time actually seeing things compared to everyone else.

OMG,what is going on with these designs?they were bad enough in TFA but this is ridiculous.
the ski speeder looks like a ***ked up b-wing and rens tie looks just as bad.
looks like they got lego to design these vehicles,WTF.
and dear god please don't tell me that blade thingy underneath the ski speeder is going to cut holes in the snow (stuff) for those big ugly gorilla walkers to fall into!

You're flying in, you know, space - for the most part. Site is going to be a factor - so your design is to filter it through red tinted glass?? Good thing he flies sensing things through the force, cause he'll have a harder time actually seeing things compared to everyone else.
Dude, its a space fantasy-fairy tale...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ski speeder is awful. It doesn't even look like it has anything that could make a dent in a walker. This could work if it had like a quad bank of proton torpedo launchers or a big turbolaser on it or something. Like most things we've seen (minus the TIE Silencer), it looks bad.

Ski speeder is awful. It doesn't even look like it has anything that could make a dent in a walker. This could work if it had like a quad bank of proton torpedo launchers or a big turbolaser on it or something. Like most things we've seen (minus the TIE Silencer), it looks bad.

Maybe their origin wasn't military? And just quickly adapted

The ski speeder doesn't bother me. Kinda awkward the cockpit is on one side, but I like it

Maybe their origin wasn't military? And just quickly adapted

The ski speeder doesn't bother me. Kinda awkward the cockpit is on one side, but I like it

Yeah I think you may be right. From what we've heard, Crait is a mining planet and the Resistance is hiding out in an old Rebellion mining base...my bets are on these Ski Speeders being some sort of mining vehicle repurposed for combat.

I think they're pretty neat tbh

a3d38f8e-b3c8-4f91-bc3c-fdb95a3105fe.jpg._CB333248620_.jpg

Yeah I think you may be right. From what we've heard, Crait is a mining planet and the Resistance is hiding out in an old Rebellion mining base...my bets are on these Ski Speeders being some sort of mining vehicle repurposed for combat.

I think they're pretty neat tbh
exactly! i was figuring they are using these speeders, which might be used to create dust, and have other speeders behind them collecting it. but they are using these speeders to lose the gorilla walkers in red dust

just a crazy idea that probably isn't true, but i like making up anyway lol

The extremely colourful dust they plow up looks like red phosphorus. It would kind of make sense for them to chuck this into the air and then try to ignite it. As ground cover I'm not so sure. It would make it as diffficult for the Resistance to fire at the FO as for them to do the reverse, unless the Resistance plan to hide mines in the fog, that the Walkers obviouly cannot then detect.
It may be this ties into the fact they say the devastated Resistance forces may be mining the planet or buying whats produced there because they need all the resources for depleted munitions.
Given the strategic use of the new " bombers " seems very central to the last space battle ( I'm guessing whatever has been mined is contained in all those strangely large ,dark, Pokemon like spheres we see in a hold in the the BTS trailer)I'd say the FO Walker attack is to try and prevent the Resistance rearming but fails, hence we get the lead into a very WWII dogfight in space at the very end, with the Resistance bombers going in to attack the central FO head quarters (or military shipyards).
This would make sense in that they are trying to keep to the original trilogies much loved elements of WWII like battles.
What they haven't done is managed to produced many new vehicles that look "right".
They have tried to do it with the new assault craft , by adding "wings" and bubble turrets as were found on many bombers of that period, but who ever did the concept art missed the entire point and success of the OT designs.
Its not that any of the OT craft LOOKED like actual WWII military machines, its that their FUNCTIONALTY ,weathering and design replicated the exact same PURPOSE of those craft. So you when look at a Star destroyer or capital ship you see a battleship. The X wings , A wings and Ties are classic swift moving dog fighters, the Tie Bombers and Y wings are like slower fighter bombers, the Walkers are like huge walking tanks without actually BEING tanks. The Falcon is a space truck. The Blockcade Runner acts like a frigate. None of them actually look at all like their earth born counterparts but they perform and function exactly like them and are immediately recognisable because of that fact.
This recent crop of concept artists just don't seem to get that. What we get are poor imitations of existing earth vehicles that are de and then reconstructed piecemeal, they look messy and confused and without a clear purpose. They really should get somebody from the old OT team to overlook concept designs because they are in great danger of falling into that horrible trap of making lots of sci fi ships and vehicles that fail BECAUSE they are MADE to look like futuristc sci fi, rather than serve a distinct but clear purpose.
If they don't, merchandise sales are going to nose dive, because nobody is going to want to own them. I have noticed they aren't half cut pricing alot of the new SW stuff very quickly these days because its just not selling in the volumes they hoped.

I quite like the the "new B-wing" it has a bodged together kinda WW1 fighter cheapness to it, repurposed mining ship or cheap lil fighter, i think it looks good and in the film im sure it will look better. Take the two lil wings of a B-wing and it looks similar, definatley related, this new one looks better balanced for in atmosphere flying too, im guessing the guns weigh a fair bit.

Star-Tours-3D_Full_30102.jpg

Skip to 1:15

What i really love about these new films are the explosions, even the ones in the backround of battle scenes are so detailed and realistic.

tumblr_inline_ooet06ClAO1qjtxsg_540.png

That Gorilla walker face might need some bitching about thou.. ill wait untl i see the film .. or probably next trailer :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back