Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Some of those comments give me cause for concern. My biggest issue with new SW is self awareness. Sure, Star Wars is ingrained in popular culture but these movies should be created and presented like something we know nothing about.
Still, 13hours till I judge for myself then I can kick up some dust in the spoiler thread. :D

Some of those comments give me cause for concern. My biggest issue with new SW is self awareness. Sure, Star Wars is ingrained in popular culture but these movies should be created and presented like something we know nothing about.
Still, 13hours till I judge for myself then I can kick up some dust in the spoiler thread. :D

oh come on, you know you totally wanted this scene at the end of Rogue One:

Blockade Runner Pilot: What is it that they've sent us?
Princess Leia: A New Hope. *looks at the camera and winks*

Hmm... Tomorrow night I will be watching the film. I am honestly at a debate with myself about watching it, but then again I have hope for this one in a better sense than I did for force awakens... Not sure. Urgghh

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Dude, these reviews have got me worried. I've got to be honest. I love Rian Johnson and was really pumped to see him at the helm. They keep bringing up how it could be left out of the series. That doesn't really bother me. All I want is a film that FEELS like Star Wars. The bit that has me most concerned is the self-aware bits and the comedy. One of my biggest gripes with TFA was the constant comedy being packed in. I hope Rian can avoid that in TLJ.

Dude, these reviews have got me worried. I've got to be honest. I love Rian Johnson and was really pumped to see him at the helm. They keep bringing up how it could be left out of the series. That doesn't really bother me. All I want is a film that FEELS like Star Wars. The bit that has me most concerned is the self-aware bits and the comedy. One of my biggest gripes with TFA was the constant comedy being packed in. I hope Rian can avoid that in TLJ.

Are we reading the same reviews? I don’t get that sense at all. And I’ve started to listen to the review with spoiler podcasts, starting with Now This is Podcasting, and they addressed the humor in the film and felt it was perfectly executed. A little self aware, but brought in at appropriate moments and totally devoid of slap stick or fart humor seen previously.

One of my biggest gripes with TFA was the constant comedy being packed in. I hope Rian can avoid that in TLJ.

Well, to each his/her own but I guess this highlights the different things each of us look to in SW. For me, one of the things I liked most about TFA was the humor, right from the first "Which one of us talks first" comment by Poe to Kylo. All of the OT films had some genuinely fun, funny moments that let the audience in, and that first comment by Poe really put me at ease that things were back on track for the SW I knew and loved. That was one of my main gripes with the prequels - they were almost entirely humorless and self-serious, with no rapport or banter between the characters.

M

Last edited:
Well, to each his/her own but I guess this highlights the different things each of us look to in SW. For me, one of the things I liked most about TFA was the humor, right from the first "Which one of us talks first" comment by Poe to Kylo. All of the OT films had some genuinely fun, funny moments that let the audience in, and that first comment by Poe really put me at ease that things were back on track for the SW I knew and loved. That was one of my main gripes with the prequels - they were almost entirely humorless and self-serious, with no rapport or banter between the characters. M

Totally agree. In Star Wars, the dynamic between Han, Luke and Leia on the Death Star is mostly humorous and goofy in nature.

Well, to each his/her own but I guess this highlights the different things each of us look to in SW. For me, one of the things I liked most about TFA was the humor, right from the first "Which one of us talks first" comment by Poe to Kylo. All of the OT films had some genuinely fun, funny moments that let the audience in, and that first comment by Poe really put me at ease that things were back on track for the SW I knew and loved. That was one of my main gripes with the prequels - they were almost entirely humorless and self-serious, with no rapport or banter between the characters.

M
My favorite part in the whole movie is when BB-8 does a thumbs up with his little torch. I thought that was hilarious. And I want some humor in my movies. Ask DC hows that going for them.... When its done properly that is, not when its hamfisted or comes out of nowhere. I loved TFA so I thought it hit all the right notes. Except for a couple gripes, it totally "felt" like star wars, and washed the PT out of my mouth very well.

My fiance feels that missing humor was a huge factor in the prequels. George was relying on Jar Jar to be the funny one of Episode 1, and it didn't end up working. He did have a few funny moments, but his high pitched hard to understand voice got in the way.
I'm glad theres humor, if done the right way.
Having a character fart and everyone laughing on screen tends to get old real fast.

I'm not saying I'm some humorless monster. I enjoyed a handful of the humor in TFA that has been mentioned... but there were a handful of moments that seemed like it was too much or too frequent.

Didn't mind some or even most I suppose of TFAs humor but...

"you got a boyfriend, a cute boyfriend" why would he say "cute" boyfriend anyway? and "that was lucky" Awful.

I am very excited to say this will be my last post in the pre release thread :)

Kylo Ren losing it after Rey escapes suddenly became a bad comic moment when the approaching storm troopers turned on their heels. :facepalm

I saw The Last Jedi last night! I’m still processing. It was a double-feature with The Force Awakens and I got home at 3:30am. Two hours sleep and up for work... the things I’ll do for Star Wars.

My thoughts on the film are complicated. There are going to be some HEATED discussions once everyone has seen it!

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very excited to say this will be my last post in the pre release thread :)

I know exactly how you feel. I will be wading into the post release thread as soon as I see the movie on Saturday, and I’m looking forward to hearing what other people here think. Whether I agree or disagree with a given point, I consider everyone here to be pretty much on the same page as me as far as their interests and fandom, and it will be really fun to discuss the film.

Last edited:
Kylo Ren losing it after Rey escapes suddenly became a bad comic moment when the approaching storm troopers turned on their heels. :facepalm
Dude, how could you not think that was funny? I could think of a few moments in EVERY other Star Wars movie that are worse than that. Chewie doing the tarzan yell in ROTJ comes to mind...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back