Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Cool story, bro. Did you read the link I posted? It explains in detail how that drop the first week compares with the prequels. Did geeks saved the prequels too? LOL!
Yes. I did. I would also refer you to this article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12...massive-second-weekend-drop-at-the-box-office

as well as this article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-drops-69-tops-100m-losers-club/#5d76bdb3dc05

As to your prequels question, they didn't split the fan base like TLJ, nor did they garner the multi layered subtext babble that you were supposedly only able to grasp after multiple viewings.

Last edited:
The first week drop is more attributable to the school holidays. When I went it saw it on the 26th, the place was full of families with children.

Maybe, but the wife and kids went to a movie almost every day on the break up to Christmas day (thank you movie pass) and the theater was packed most every day. Heck, we saw Jumnaji and then my son saw it again the next day with his friends. I guess it depends on where you were live.

-OWK

A simpler explanation is that perhaps there is more people out there that simply liked the movie. The numbers seem to support that, instead of this absurd conspiracy theory of geeks going to the movies to save and what not,....yada, yada. I swear it gets more ridiculous every day. LOL!

Maybe, but the wife and kids went to a movie almost every day on the break up to Christmas day (thank you movie pass) and the theater was packed most every day. Heck, we saw Jumnaji and then my son saw it again the next day with his friends. I guess it depends on where you were live.

-OWK
Many Christmas breaks seem to have started the 25th (the last day of schooling being the 22nd) obviously varies from district to district. For example, NY, Chicago, Detroit schools started Christmas break on the 25th - however, LA schools started the 19th.

well the next James
Bond after Craig may be a woman or black, maybe a black woman? Beyonce' is Bond! I wish Vader would show up and slice up everyone, the last 5 min of Rogue one is the best Star Wars since Empire

Computer software that breaks the saga down into what percentage of dialogue is spoken by what sex and race, eh? That's where we are. I'm so done with this.
Female characters speaking 50% of the dialogue is not only overdue but essential.
Now what the writers/ directors choose their characters to say and why is where you need to focus. TLJ totally screwed that part up big time.

If you had asked George Lucas in 1977 who he was making Star Wars for most of all, he might very well have said "10yo boys."

It's a 21st-century attitude to assume that SW is even intended to appeal to both genders equally.

I'm just pointing out the way things are. So many people talk about the lack of female characters/dialogue in the old movies as an "oversight." Those movies were called Star WARS because they were heavy on war & combat & military things. The franchise has been dealing with male-heavy subject matter for most of its 40 years.

I'm fine with the more equalized approach now. SW was ready for a change and this is a good way to change it. But I just think we should see the old movies for what they were and not judge them by a modern yardstick that they were never designed for.

I finally watched this today. I'd say that if you removed those ridiculous bombers, gave that Admiral a uniform, and rewrote all of Luke's parts, it might be an above average SW movie. Most of the humor wasn't funny or was out of place (mom insult, really?) IMO. The biggest problem was Luke. From the very first part where he just tosses his lightsaber, he didn't make sense. It just seemed like they wasted a really cool opportunity to make a great movie. Whatever, it is what it is, but I'm done with any more post ROTJ stuff.

Female characters speaking 50% of the dialogue is not only overdue but essential.
Now what the writers/ directors choose their characters to say and why is where you need to focus. TLJ totally screwed that part up big time.

Shift the numbers a bit...not change them, but a different filter per se.

95% of the bad guys dialog is male. Meaning a large majority of the good guys was female. I know good/bad isn't a 50/50 split in dialog, but it's still relevant. The audience is supposed to identify with the good guys.

Balance isn't bad, but it can be a massive jolt to compensate for it seemingly overnight. It stands out much more and can turn people off more because of it.

To me, the diversity bit worked well in TFA, but not as well in TLJ. Not sure why, just how it played to me.

Shift the numbers a bit...not change them, but a different filter per se.

95% of the bad guys dialog is male. Meaning a large majority of the good guys was female. I know good/bad isn't a 50/50 split in dialog, but it's still relevant. The audience is supposed to identify with the good guys.

Balance isn't bad, but it can be a massive jolt to compensate for it seemingly overnight. It stands out much more and can turn people off more because of it.

To me, the diversity bit worked well in TFA, but not as well in TLJ. Not sure why, just how it played to me.

Good points. You can have a male-centric movie, with a male vs. male power struggle, with silly male-dominated subplots, and then have a woman roll up and be all, "What's with all of you freaking idiots", have her drop some empathy and altruism wrapped in a hard shell on 'em, and now you have a movie that resonates with a strong female, with maybe but a percentage of the visual exposure. Hollywood is making a huge mistake if they're shooting for female equality vs. just plain female QUALITY.

Another thing I have to add after thinking about this today is how Luke handled Ben. Luke's first instinct is to kill his nephew. However when confronted with Vader, one of the worst Sith Lords in history, his first instinct is to turn him back to the Light Side. So Luke wants to save his dad who he never even knew, yet he wants to immediately kill his nephew who he has watched grow up for 20 some years? That right there shows how poorly written Luke was in this. Even in the movie someone (Rey I think?) tells him that Ben wasn't too far gone to keep him from going to the Dark Side.

Another thing I have to add after thinking about this today is how Luke handled Ben. Luke's first instinct is to kill his nephew. However when confronted with Vader, one of the worst Sith Lords in history, his first instinct is to turn him back to the Light Side. So Luke wants to save his dad who he never even knew, yet he wants to immediately kill his nephew who he has watched grow up for 20 some years? That right there shows how poorly written Luke was in this. Even in the movie someone (Rey I think?) tells him that Ben wasn't too far gone to keep him from going to the Dark Side.

I have a similar feeling about the graflex.... here is Luke holding his fathers lightsaber after it went missing for over 30 years..

It’s reunited with him, and he throws it off a cliff....

And don’t comment me with that he’s done with the Jedi, and doesn’t care about Jedi artifacts...

He brought back the compass which was originally on ach-to... he brought back the Jedi crusader kyber crystal back to arch-to... to be reunited with the temple..

But he doesn’t care about his fathers lightsaber...

Trash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar feeling about the graflex.... here is Luke holding his fathers lightsaber after it went missing for over 30 years..

It’s reunited with him, and he throws it off a cliff....

And don’t comment me with that he’s done with the Jedi, and doesn’t care about Jedi artifacts...

He brought back the compass which was originally on ach-to... he brought back the Jedi crusader kyber crystal back to arch-to... to be reunited with the temple..

But he doesn’t care about his fathers lightsaber...

I gotta say that between "This is not going to go the way you think" and the unexpected graflex toss, I was fully invested at that point in the movie. I was like bring it on, I want to know why this is either a meaningless artifact, or something he really wished to never see again. They could have written anything like:

* maybe he didn't associate the graflex with the father he knew personally (my dad used a red MPP!)
* the graflex was used to kill all Jedi younglings (still Lucas canon, prequel-haters be damned)
* the graflex represents the Jedi council being a bunch of jerks who screwed over his dad for a promotion, making him go postal
* the graflex represents Luke's totally failed mission at Bespin
* Luke was holding the graflex using the mechanical replacement for the hand his father cut off while Luke was holding the graflex (the symbolism was right there on screen)
* he'd found secret powers on ach-to that made lightsabers completely insignificant
etc.

I was on board with it not being a cherished item, and ready to hear anything with some payoff, but it ended up just being for cheap laughs.

I gotta say that between "This is not going to go the way you think" and the unexpected graflex toss, I was fully invested at that point in the movie. I was like bring it on, I want to know why this is either a meaningless artifact, or something he really wished to never see again. They could have written anything like:

* maybe he didn't associate the graflex with the father he knew personally (my dad used a red MPP!)
* the graflex was used to kill all Jedi younglings (still Lucas canon, prequel-haters be damned)
* the graflex represents the Jedi council being a bunch of jerks who screwed over his dad for a promotion, making him go postal
* the graflex represents Luke's totally failed mission at Bespin
* Luke was holding the graflex using the mechanical replacement for the hand his father cut off while Luke was holding the graflex (the symbolism was right there on screen)
* he'd found secret powers on ach-to that made lightsabers completely insignificant
etc.

I was on board with it not being a cherished item, and ready to hear anything with some payoff, but it ended up just being for cheap laughs.

Excellent points, but I still don’t like the movie

Please don’t take this as me trolling you either, I just can’t get any kind of connection or interest in this film

Besides the damn compass prop lol I want that bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One thing seems to ring true. Everyone would like for this movie to make sense in the overall Star Wars Universe. I don't care about the percentage of what gender said what. Just make sense. This installment played more along the lines of a rogue one. A stand alone that not many seem to care what happens next. Unless that next is Luke waking up in his hut on the island realizing it was all a force nightmare. Star Wars Trilogies, prequel or OT all connected and all made sense. This one does not. Johnson wanted to make a statement. He sure did. He bent over and let it fly all over anyone and everyone who truly cared about the Characters and more importantly the connected Story.

The original stories were good story telling. Most everything meant something to someone in one way or another. Characters, even back ground characters were interesting.
This character assassination of a movie Johnson has made did nothing to forward the stories. Anyone s stories for that manner. new or old.
He slapped the face of every OT character except for Leia and Chewy. The actors who care know it. From new information from Simon Pegg today he apparently slapped the face of Rey by taking away any meaningful back story she had which apparently JJ wanted. Rey was great in the first movie. If I was a kid I would have wanted her action figure first. She was good in the second but how much better of a pay off would it have been for her to be a descendant of someone cool rather than being told your no one. Your parents were filthy junk traders. Daisy " hey thanks Johnson that is a beautiful background story for her "

Johnson Threw R2 under a tarp, where Lucas gave him a Beautiful meaningful beginning in TPM. Lucas gave 3PO a beginning with anakin. Johnson makes sure 3PO is cut down to size too. Luke a crazy murderous demented filthy hobo. Yoda was acting like he had laughing gas or was baked. Oh Luke it all means nothing, nothing meant nothing. Whereas in ESB Yoda said everything was important.

One or the other you cant have both and when you have already established the OT in our minds don't expect us to just accept what Johnson feels because he wants it that way.
Have some respect for what loving fans cherished. How about any respect. His mantra is kill the past and he did it.

This movie should have been called THE LAME JEDI because that is what we got.

I didn't have a big problem with Yoda other than they had him act like he acted when he first met Luke. That didn't make sense at all. Yoda stopped that giggling shtick after he revealed who he was in ESB. I think what Yoda was telling Luke is that being a Jedi wasn't tied to relics or books, which is why he set the tree on fire anyway. Like I said it was like RJ either hasn't seen the OT or he's only using his memory of it the first time he saw them.

Search your feelings Sluis...

I didn't have a big problem with Yoda other than they had him act like he acted when he first met Luke. That didn't make sense at all. Yoda stopped that giggling shtick after he revealed who he was in ESB. I think what Yoda was telling Luke is that being a Jedi wasn't tied to relics or books, which is why he set the tree on fire anyway. Like I said it was like RJ either hasn't seen the OT or he's only using his memory of it the first time he saw them.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back