Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

https://i.redd.it/y1snrieva9rz.jpg
Interesting. When you look at all the past Star Wars posters from the link, evil is always lurking in the background. In the latest background..we see Luke.

For the love of all that is holy, please don't take our beloved hero Luke and turn him to the dark side. I'm fine if he's indifferent and beaten down. He was tempted in Jedi but ultimately defeated evil. So much of my youth has already been ruined, please let me have this.......

For the love of all that is holy, please don't take our beloved hero Luke and turn him to the dark side. I'm fine if he's indifferent and beaten down. He was tempted in Jedi but ultimately defeated evil. So much of my youth has already been ruined, please let me have this.......

The bottom line is that a Luke being a "Grey" Jedi or making a turn to the dark side, even if it is brief makes for a much more tragically compelling story. A man can only spend so much time with Ewoks and Porgs before he breaks.

The bottom line is that a Luke being a "Grey" Jedi or making a turn to the dark side, even if it is brief makes for a much more tragically compelling story. A man can only spend so much time with Ewoks and Porgs before he breaks.

Yeah, but I have a feeling Rey and Kylo both may be struggling with light vs dark, that's compelling enough tragic storytelling for me, I don't need Luke in the mix as well. But I will agree, if those ridiculous Porgs incessantly made that terrible noise on his island like the one in the trailer, I'm all for a full-on Luke dark side bender!

I wish people would stop using grey Jedi when Lucasfilm story group members (Pablo Hidalgo on twitter who has been with the company almost 20 years) have said and have said before and again just in the last two days there is no such thing. If you go grey, you are no longer a Jedi.

I wish people would stop using grey Jedi when Lucasfilm story group members (Pablo Hidalgo on twitter who has been with the company almost 20 years) have said and have said before and again just in the last two days there is no such thing. If you go grey, you are no longer a Jedi.

And he could be deliberately misleading us. If you look back at the films alone, a Jedi would never force choke another person, but we do see Luke perform that very thing on some of Jabba's guards don't we? Are you saying Luke stopped being a Jedi and that moment and became a Sith? What about when Luke gave into his anger in order to defeat his pops? Was Luke a Sith then?

So only a Sith deals in absolutes you say? Well, I think it is clearly established that there is a middle ground in established film cannon. Hidalgo was lacking in SWIQ when asked the question or was being deliberately misleading to....surprise us in the Last Jedi.

Right which doesn't alter the concept, you can have the Force and use it in a morally ambiguous manner, but you aren't a Jedi..or Sith, you just are a force wielding opportunist.

And he could be deliberately misleading us. If you look back at the films alone, a Jedi would never force choke another person, but we do see Luke perform that very thing on some of Jabba's guards don't we? Are you saying Luke stopped being a Jedi and that moment and became a Sith? What about when Luke gave into his anger in order to defeat his pops? Was Luke a Sith then?

So only a Sith deals in absolutes you say? Well, I think it is clearly established that there is a middle ground in established film cannon. Hidalgo was lacking in SWIQ when asked the question or was being deliberately misleading to....surprise us in the Last Jedi.

*****, Mary, and Joseph please stop using the SWIQ BS especially when directed at someone like Pablo who understands this franchise better then everyone of us navel gazers comnebting here. That man lives and bleeds Star Wars and actually works there, making his opinion gospel and our meaningless. That's the way this works.

Wat?!

Force wielding opportunist?! Was that what Anakin was when he slaughtered those Tuskens? I don't think so.

Don't do drugs. Drugs are bad mmkay.

- - - Updated - - -

*****, Mary, and Joseph please stop using the SWIQ BS especially when directed at someone like Pablo who understands this franchise better then everyone of us navel gazers comnebting here. That man lives and bleeds Star Wars and actually works there, making his opinion gospel and our meaningless. That's the way this works.

As a lifelong fan, and noted bull****** , here on The RPF, I feel entitled to voice disagreement and call out when Hidlago or anyone is wrong. He's wrong, and therefore was lacking in SWIQ. Deal with it. It happens to the best of us, whether or not we are employed by Lucas/Disney.

Wat?!

Force wielding opportunist?! Was that what Anakin was when he slaughtered those Tuskens? I don't think so.

Don't do drugs. Drugs are bad mmkay.

- - - Updated - - -

As a lifelong fan, and noted bull****** , here on The RPF, I feel entitled to voice disagreement and call out when Hidlago or anyone is wrong. He's wrong, and therefore was lacking in SWIQ. Deal with it. It happens to the best of us, whether or not we are employed by Lucas/Disney.

Feelng entitled is a far sight from being qualified. :)

Feelng entitled is a far sight from being qualified. :)

So what is your criteria for being qualified, other than being employed by Lucas/Disney? Who's to say that my being a fan for over (39) years makes me unqualified. I've bought the crap, read the books, comics, played the games, went to the conventions, listened to the podcast, watched the films, etc., etc., etc. I think I know just a speck about what Star Wars is, and yes..am entitled to making a somewhat informed opinion about why a "Grey" Jedi is established cannon, whether or not a so called expert admits it..yet.

I do feel we can have a legitimate debate, based on that established film cannon of why I could be right.

So what is your criteria for being qualified, other than being employed by Lucas/Disney? Who's to say that my being a fan for over (39) years makes me unqualified. I've bought the crap, read the books, comics, played the games, went to the conventions, listened to the podcast, watched the films, etc., etc., etc. I think I know just a speck about what Star Wars is, and yes..am entitled to making a somewhat informed opinion about why a "Grey" Jedi is established cannon, whether or not a so called expert admits it..yet.

Beacuase you have predicated your expertise on duration and consumption which is entirely filtered through your own experience and expectations. Your personal bias informs your opinions. The people who actually have to make the daily decisions regarding the direction of this franchise actually come from two worlds. The world of decades of fandom you lay claim to and the world of actually working in the entertainment/film/writing professions. That makes them entirely more qualified then you or me to make these decisions as they have made a career of their fandom.

Beacuase you have predicated your expertise on duration and consumption which is entirely filtered through your own experience and expectations. Your personal bias informs your opinions. The people who actually have to make the daily decisions regarding the direction of this franchise actually come from two worlds. The world of decades of fandom you lay claim to and the world of actually working in the entertainment/film/writing professions. That makes them entirely more qualified then you or me to make these decisions as they have made a career of their fandom.

Come on now, Bryan. Your a smart man, don't lay the standard industry PR lines down. It's okay. We're all friends here. You can disagree with the mighty Lucas/Disney sometimes? Right?

Come on now, Bryan. Your a smart man, don't lay the standard industry PR lines down. It's okay. We're all friends here. You can disagree with the mighty Lucas/Disney sometimes? Right?[/QUOTE

Abdimutely, although you clearly realize my argument is correct as you are changing the subject. Of course LucasFiln can, have, and will make bad calls. I can think of many that have been made since 1977. But it's their property and I haven't seen one navel gazing fanboy ranting in the internet who I would put in charge of running a multi billion dollar business who think their SWIQ is what Star Wars is to everyone else. Do you realize how stupid that is? Please say yes.

Come on now, Bryan. Your a smart man, don't lay the standard industry PR lines down. It's okay. We're all friends here. You can disagree with the mighty Lucas/Disney sometimes? Right?[/QUOTE

Abdimutely, although you clearly realize my argument is correct as you are changing the subject. Of course LucasFiln can, have, and will make bad calls. I can think of many that have been made since 1977. But it's their property and I haven't seen one navel gazing fanboy ranting in the internet who I would put in charge of running a multi billion dollar business who think their SWIQ is what Star Wars is to everyone else. Do you realize how stupid that is? Please say yes.

I didn't change the subject by asking if you were capable of disagreeing with anything Lucas/Disney says. I'm happy you can take those first steps and admit that they have made some bad calls. Good on you, friend.

I never said I was the Alpha/Omega of Star Wars, just that I feel...that my argument is valid. Yes, Hidalgo could be..gasp...wrong about so called "Grey" Jedi. Again, I think there is enough in established film. And wanted to have a reasoned debate why Luke could be a "Grey" Jedi, not a debate killing, "Well Hidalgo says there is so much thing, so there!".

Really.

Have it your way though. It's boring and much less fun. Like the prequels and those that kissed Lucas *** by telling him every idea he had was like the second coming. That didn't work out too well for him, but hey, who am I to critique these well paid, brilliant Star Wars insiders?

I didn't change the subject by asking if you were capable of disagreeing with anything Lucas/Disney says. I'm happy you can take those first steps and admit that they have made some bad calls. Good on you, friend.

I never said I was the Alpha/Omega of Star Wars, just that I feel...that my argument is valid. Yes, Hidalgo could be..gasp...wrong about so called "Grey" Jedi. Again, I think there is enough in established film. And wanted to have a reasoned debate why Luke could be a "Grey" Jedi, not a debate killing, "Well Hidalgo says there is so much thing, so there!".

Really.

Have it your way though. It's boring and much less fun. Like the prequels and those that kissed Lucas *** by telling him every idea he had was like the second coming. That didn't work out too well for him, but hey, who am I to critique these well paid, brilliant Star Wars insiders?

No, I think it's fine to brook argument with anyone creating a subjective work of art. That's always the case. But the current creative people in charge of guiding this process are for all intents and puposes are batting 1000 with TFA and R1 and I think they will land TLJ as well based on what I know and have seen. And you not liking it isn't an indictment, it's just a leaf in the wind.

No, I think it's fine to brook argument with anyone creating a subjective work of art. That's always the case. But the current creative people in charge of guiding this process are for all intents and puposes are batting 1000 with TFA and R1 and I think they will land TLJ as well based on what I know and have seen. And you not liking it isn't an indictment, it's just a leaf in the wind.

(*) Your opion is a leaf in the wind. Check.
(*) Hey, these guys are so super cool you guys, and are batting 1000 you guys. Check.
(*) No discussion on a discussion forum. Check.

That's pretty, lame and boring, but again..okay for some. I guess.

You've overhwelmingly maid your viewpoint clear. Fair enough, and moving on.

Pablo hidalgo, as far as I know, works with current canon. Meaning he doesn't know the past or future of the SW universe, aside from what's explicitly used in canon material. Of course he extrapolates from available sources, but really, the canon of star wars is altered all the time.

Also, I'm quite sure when he's said the gray jedi aren't canon, he means the gray jedi order. That definitely doesn't refute the idea and philosophy behind it.

Moving things back to a hopefully less contentious tone (and I'm in the camp who thinks a lot of the calls made by the Story Group since Lucas retired have been... not great -- but that's one of my dreaded essays, so I won't lay into it here)...

22449678_1476122355835745_952594075191327230_n.jpg
22449678_1476122355835745_952594075191327230_n.jpg

I think its safe to say that the big shots pulling the strings at Lucasfilm/Disney arent fanboys, this is strictly a business. If they knew that making luke a bad guy and going against everything we know about him would make a billion dollars, they would do whatever the hell it took to make that money. To say they give a damn about the characters, story and mythos is asinine.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back