Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Nah, I'm fine here. I've been here a long, LONG time. So no reason for anyone here to eject me for my opinion.

As I said, we discuss a lot of topics, twists, turns etc here. If you can't handle the subject matter, maybe it is you that should leave.

I'm happy to discuss the topic at hand, but why does my opinion about a sensitive matter mean more than yours? I'm still talking Star Wars.
When you attack people and accuse them of misogyny when none is diplayed, you forfeit the right to say "hey, it's just my opinion."

I looked at the last few pages here for some Star Wars talk and found the battle of the sexes! ;)
Personally I don't think the character's sex is relevant, Daisy's acting is better than Mark's was in the original SW, but the current story so far ( episode 7) is just"meh" for me. There's plenty to criticize regardless of any character's gender. Not liking aspects of these new films or it's characters doesn't indicate the person leveling criticism is misogynistic.
PS The"Francis" line from stripes is not related to homosexuality, the "homos" line delivered by Francis is unrelated to his name, the context is that HE is homophobic and doesn't want men touching him. Personally I've never heard Francis used as a homosexual slur.
Back on topic: Star Wars is GREAT! WOO HOO! We ALL love Star Wars!:cool:thumbsup
Carry on...

And has anyone else thought this...

Looks like it may have been a premonition for this...

I'd been wondering about that. Plus the shot of Kylo reaching out to, presumably, Rey. Her visions seem to have not been just visions. In that earlier one from TFA, when she was there in the rain during the attack, Kylo saw her and started for her before it switched again. Did Ben/Kylo, at that time, during the attack, suddenly have a vision of a strange girl who vanished a few seconds later? Is that why he was so intently interested in there being a girl who helped the map-carrying BB unit? I'm wondering if that shot with Kylo reaching out is another vision she has.

You're correct, but it's not the big carbon fiber looking one! In fact, it might be much, much later in the story since it looks almost healed...

Well, TLJ picks up right after TFA. Granted we don't know how long between the destruction of the Starkiller and Rey setting out to find Luke, but I imagine she didn't dawdle. Figure when we first see Kylo in TLJ, only days will likely have passed. And we don't know how much time is covered by this episode. If Luke's wampa injuries could heal in a few hours, maybe that "carbon fiber" is a bacta wound dressing or some such. *shrug*

--Jonah

Longevity on the site is no guarantee of future performance. Get over yourself.

Correct!

But it does mean, in my case, that I've contributed enough not to be told to take my opinion somewhere else. I like it here, I've been here since the AOL boards and my opinion is no less valid.

I don't need to get over myself, trust me. I'm one of the more soft-spoken, long-time members. So when I have something to say, I will say it. I don't need to be told to go somewhere else.

I'll let this be my last comment in the thread, and I do apologize for de-railing it. I just felt I needed to stand up for some things that are bothering me. Like anyone else does here.

Please, if you want to chat about this offline, I won't be nasty about it. But I would love to have more conversations if you have issues with my posts.

Having Rey turn out to be a Solo is literally the worst plot twist that could happen. There's no reasonable explanation to have Rey as Jaina Solo. I dare you to try and make that make sense in the context of TFA.

Having Rey turn out to be a Solo is literally the worst plot twist that could happen. There's no reasonable explanation to have Rey as Jaina Solo. I dare you to try and make that make sense in the context of TFA.

Ben is a handful of years older than Rey, he grows up goes dark and destroys the Jedi. This sets Han and Leia on the path to splitting up, and by the time they do Leia is pregnant (secretly duh). She gives birth and in the same way that Luke was spirited away she hides Rey on Jakku under the watchful eye of Lor San Tekka, the one character to explicitly refer to Leia as royalty.

Not saying I want that, but it's not an impossible leap in logic

Ben is a handful of years older than Rey, he grows up goes dark and destroys the Jedi. This sets Han and Leia on the path to splitting up, and by the time they do Leia is pregnant (secretly duh). She gives birth and in the same way that Luke was spirited away she hides Rey on Jakku under the watchful eye of Lor San Tekka, the one character to explicitly refer to Leia as royalty.

Not saying I want that, but it's not an impossible leap in logic

It actually can dovetail in quite nicely. At the end of TFA, she shows up - Luke knowing full well who she is. The look on his face is the trepidation of having to teach another relative the ways of the force knowing what happened with Kylo.

A thing I posted somewhere else but I don't want to change the wording for a new post
".Okay, so I don’t know if this theory has been thrown out there yet, but I have been thinking a lot about this moment (Kylo reaching out) from the trailer. I just don’t know how they could follow it without it seeming cheesy. If he is reaching out to someone, anyone, if they take his hand, where does it go from there? They just walk off into the sunset? That background looks pretty hectic for hand holding.

But…
What if Kylo isn’t offering his hand? What if he has raised his hand to accept something instead? Not to take something, but to accept it.
I am a fan of the theory that Kylo is going to help Rey escape from Snoke towards the end of the movie. Now, what if at some point in that battle Kylo loses his lightsaber? Rey is pretty damn adaptive and if Snoke’s guard (I dare not try and spell it from memory. Praetorian?) carry staffs she could use one easily. So what if in this moment Rey is offering Anakin’s lightsaber to Kylo? This object that he has covetted. “That lightsaber. It belongs to me.” Because he wants to emulate Darth Vader, the lightsaber has rejected him before. But now as he turns back towards the light and stops fighting it, that is when he becomes worthy to live up to his grandfather’s legacy. Not as the grandson of Darth Vader, but as the grandson of Anakin Skywalker. And not as Kylo Ren, but as Ben Solo.
That is why his face looks so shocked, so touched, intense, and maybe even hopeful. His hand looks like it is shaking a little as he reaches out for this object of power that means so much to him as a relic of the Skywalker’s. He is a Solo, but he is also a Skywalker. That lightsaber isn’t meant for Kylo, it is meant for Ben. If anybody is a good example of 'It is never too late to change.' it is Anakin Skywalker."

A thing I posted somewhere else but I don't want to change the wording for a new post
".Okay, so I don’t know if this theory has been thrown out there yet, but I have been thinking a lot about this moment (Kylo reaching out) from the trailer. I just don’t know how they could follow it without it seeming cheesy. If he is reaching out to someone, anyone, if they take his hand, where does it go from there? They just walk off into the sunset? That background looks pretty hectic for hand holding.

But…
What if Kylo isn’t offering his hand? What if he has raised his hand to accept something instead? Not to take something, but to accept it.
I am a fan of the theory that Kylo is going to help Rey escape from Snoke towards the end of the movie. Now, what if at some point in that battle Kylo loses his lightsaber? Rey is pretty damn adaptive and if Snoke’s guard (I dare not try and spell it from memory. Praetorian?) carry staffs she could use one easily. So what if in this moment Rey is offering Anakin’s lightsaber to Kylo? This object that he has covetted. “That lightsaber. It belongs to me.” Because he wants to emulate Darth Vader, the lightsaber has rejected him before. But now as he turns back towards the light and stops fighting it, that is when he becomes worthy to live up to his grandfather’s legacy. Not as the grandson of Darth Vader, but as the grandson of Anakin Skywalker. And not as Kylo Ren, but as Ben Solo.
That is why his face looks so shocked, so touched, intense, and maybe even hopeful. His hand looks like it is shaking a little as he reaches out for this object of power that means so much to him as a relic of the Skywalker’s. He is a Solo, but he is also a Skywalker. That lightsaber isn’t meant for Kylo, it is meant for Ben. If anybody is a good example of 'It is never too late to change.' it is Anakin Skywalker."

I like this a lot. And it would open rey up to get a new saber in ix.

Luke won't go to the Dark Side. Well unless Disney/Lucasfilm loses their frakking minds! Luke went up against the most powerful Sith in recent history and didn't turn. I seriously doubt they could make any story where it would make any sense, after that, for Luke going to the Dark Side. I think that's a fanboy wish. An odd fanboy wish, but one nonetheless.

Luke won't go to the Dark Side. Well unless Disney/Lucasfilm loses their frakking minds! Luke went up against the most powerful Sith in recent history and didn't turn. I seriously doubt they could make any story where it would make any sense, after that, for Luke going to the Dark Side. I think that's a fanboy wish. An odd fanboy wish, but one nonetheless.

We will see. Don't forget Hamill wanted Luke to be somewhat dark in Jedi, which Lucas did not allow. I wonder what Hamill meant in the many interviews and tweets where he discusses that he was surprised by the direction this goes?

Could all be BS of course, but I am intrigued and curious.

This is the reason for spoiler tags.

So...does this mean that Rey finds out her real name is Jaina and builds her own purple lightsaber by movie's end?

With this, I'm out. See you guys in a couple months!
No, it means that there was a fan vote and that's the figure that won.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back