Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII

I think it's gonna go two ways with Kylo-he's either going to get killed,or he's gonna do a switch and be redeemed....

That said I'm kinda hoping he survives but instead of coming back as a good guy he tells everybody thanks but he needs to be alone and walks off to his own adventures.

I think if they do it, it needs to happen in 8 or very early in 9..Supposedly Benicio del Toro is a/the bad guy in 8...maybe he's a new guy who goes even too far for BenRen and he sees the light and switches to help save the day.

I think we will see Kylo redeem himself by adventruly sacrificing himself to save our heroes.. When this will happen idk but I have this gut feeling

Oh, no. Nonononono. I am not one of those fans who thinks that it was OK that Vader was redeemed at the end of ROTJ. You cannot undo decades of tyranny and murder by merely tossing an old guy off a catwalk! He died to protect his son? Well good news galaxy. Now he's off the hook forever!

Redemption by definition means being saved from evil. It is not about going around the galaxy and correcting all the bad things that happened. Anakin redeemed himself by saving Luke and turning from the dark side. His son was there and witnessed that there was good in his father. As far as the rest of the galaxy is concerned, Vader is dead and that probably satisfies most of his victims. This isn't a galactic version of "My Name is Earl".

Redemption by definition means being saved from evil.

No it doesn't.

Dictionary.com?
noun
1. an act of redeeming or atoning for a fault or mistake, or the state of being redeemed.
2. deliverance; rescue.
3. Theology. deliverance from sin; salvation.
4. atonement for guilt.
5. repurchase, as of something sold.
6. paying off, as of a mortgage, bond, or note.
7. recovery by payment, as of something pledged.​

Webster?
1. the act of making something better or more acceptable
2. the act of exchanging something for money, an award, etc.​

Conclusion: By definition, you can redeem yourself to an evil cause. Everyone has their own sins.

Yes it does. My source google dictionary.

re·demp·tion
noun
noun: redemption; plural noun: redemptions
the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil.
"God's plans for the redemption of his world"
synonyms: saving, freeing from sin, absolution
"God's redemption of his people"
a thing that saves someone from error or evil.
"his marginalization from the Hollywood jungle proved to be his redemption"
the action of regaining or gaining possession of something in exchange for payment, or clearing a debt.
synonyms: retrieval, recovery, reclamation, repossession, return More
archaic
the action of buying one's freedom

My definition is like the theology one you quoted (number 3 ). None of these say that Vader has to around the galaxy and square himself with everyone.

My definition is like the theology one you quoted (number 3 ). None of these say that Vader has to around the galaxy and square himself with everyone.

So if I do all kinds of evil deeds and decide one day that I won't do them anymore, I'm officially redeemed? I had no idea it was that easy.

Star Wars: Episode VIII

Just saw TFA- very disappointed that there were almost zero original thoughts in the whole movie

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I just saw it for he 3rd time and loved it more.

You haters crack me up. Take a deep breath and go read Shakespeare or something.

There was the right mix of everything. I've never seen a Blaster laser get stopped in mid air. Love that scene. You can tell after Return of Jedi no one lived happily ever after. Han had a tough time and went back to smuggling because that's what he was good at...etc etc. That's dark and not a Disney concept.

So if I do all kinds of evil deeds and decide one day that I won't do them anymore, I'm officially redeemed? I had no idea it was that easy.

Redeemed but not forgiven.

Ben

What's any of this have to do with ep 8?

Nothing... We just like to talk SW! WooHoo! .... RRRAAAWWWRR!

My feeling is Vader will return in some form, Force ghost or possibly physically... Somehow that Staff of Rey's will be important. I'm betting it's a Sith artifact. But who knows?... I think the best part is SW came back! Meaning we are talking about it again! Wondering, imagining, speculating. My friends and I did this when I was a child growing up in the 80's. Now, we're doing it again! Also, a new generation of young people is joining in! I love it! ... I never even tried to speculate on the Prequels, blah! Who would want to?

Last edited:

Well, as I understand it, they did shoot some stuff there back in September(?) so there should at least be *some* actual Skellig Michael footage in Ep. 8. I took the notion that they're building a Skellig Michael set to mean they may be modelling some interiors too, stuff that wouldn't be as feasible at the actual location. Maybe inside Luke's hut or some other unseen area.

On another note, when do we expect to find out the name of Ep.8? I don't recall how long it was before the release of TFA that we found out but I think it was at least a year or so?

I think the main thing is that Rey and Kylo will continue to be developed as parallel characters. Ren is really more of anti-Luke Skywalker than another Darth Vader. I think both characters arc's will mirror each other to some extent.

I don't think we will see Luke do much sabre stuff or Force super powers. That was the prequels and the old EU/Legends. TFA went back to basics; the Force was mostly about the mind and spirit and the contest of wills during the two times that Rey and Kylo confronted each other. They brought out the super-powered, telekinesis stuff pretty sparingly and only for dramatic effect, just like the OT. So I think they will continue to be reserved with that sort of thing.
I don't think Luke will fight Ren or save her bacon. I'm glad they didn't do that in TFA and I don't think they will do that here.

I'm leaning more and more towards the camp that Rey is not Luke's daughter. Too obvious and it doesn't really jive with Maz' comment about Luke being her future and her family
being behind her. She clearly has a connection to the other characters, and I think both Leia and Ren know or at least suspect what it is.

I hope we will see the further development of the friendship between Rey, Finn, and Poe. Rey and Poe haven't even met yet and while Finn is good friends (only friends) with both of them they need to be developed into this trilogy's family, just as Luke, Leia, and Han were for the OT.

I think Snap Wexley, Greg Grunenburg's character, is going to be the new Wedge.

I expect we will find out the full details of the fall of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, the failure of Luke's new Jedi, and what he has been doing all of this time. Did he find the first Jedi temple and if so what did he learn and why did he remain hidden?

I think we will find out all about Rey and who she is and where she comes from.

Artoo and Chewie will probably be in it. The fact that they both went with Rey to see Luke is probably significant. I imagine they writers intend to use those characters. Chewie's role in TFA was the most significant one he's had in any movie. Really liked the moment he had with Rey in the Falcon cockpit at the end.

I'm really curious how much time will pass between the two films. Both Rey and Ren had cliffhangers that imply immediate resolution. We obviously want to see that first dialogue between Rey and Luke, and we want to see what Snoke has to say to Ren in the aftermath of the events of TFA (he's success in killing his father, his failure to defeat Rey).

I think Leia, Chewie, Artoo, and Threepio will survive the new trilogy. I think chances are Luke will not, and he will be killed by Snoke, possibly in a way that mirrors his fathers' sacrifice in Jedi. If this happens I think it will help Kylo Ren turn back to the light, but probably not until IX.

I think we will get some hints as to who Snoke is and where he comes from but he will still remain pretty mysterious.

With Maz it's hard to say either way. She will almost certainly turn up in the Han Solo movie but she has a lot of knowledge about Jedi/Sith lore and the Graflex lightsaber, which is obviously significant to the story given Ren recognizing it and not being surprised that it had been found. However, I suspect she won't appear again in the sequel trilogy, but probably turn up in a lot of other places.

I hope Daisy Ridley is really good at hand stands.

I like all of these items, and hope that the story does go in this direction.

I *hope* you mean good at handstands because Luke will make her do lots of them for training, and not for some 'other' reason....

If they actually make this series about Kylo Ren being the real hero of this new trilogy and have him come out being the good guy, I'm going to quit Star Wars in all forms right than and there..

Why?

I mean, it's probably safe to assume that Vader did all of that too...and he was 'redeemed'.

I'm just saying that if they did do that it would not be without precedent. Not that I want it to go that way...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back