Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

I'm finding this very reminiscent of the "if Luke doesn't have a huge part in TFA I'm going to hate it" argument. He will have his time in Ep8. It was necessary to the story to introduce and establish the new characters, but for some people it wasn't about getting a satisfying story. It was just about seeing their childhood hero in action again.

These things are ancillary elements to a greater story.

And really that's all I am suggesting people do in the Han Solo standalone film, let's just see what they do then judge. :)

After all the John Harrisons we've had, I'm just going to wait till the movies or other canon sources tell us who her parents are. Who knows? They could drop the whole family plot all together and never mention them again.

Or even just doesn't jibe well with the film we saw.

All the non-SW-nerd friends I know assume she's a Skywalker according to the movie they saw, so I don't know where you could possibly get that impression.

"That lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him, and now, it calls to you."

This line doesn't explicitly say she's a Skywalker, but it sure as hell implies it. If she isn't, then it's really just a cheap ploy.

Last edited by a moderator:

J.J. Abrams said:
Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII. So I cannot possibly in this moment tell you who they are. This is all I will say. It is something Rey thinks about too.

I actually looked to see who registered as J.J. Abrams...

0CKUjYN.jpg

I actually hope Rey isn't related to anyone we know. I can buy some of the Prequel relationships by telling myself the Force was directing things. Any more than that and it's really pushing it.

This whole thing reminds me of that "who's the final Cylon " thing from battlestar. I actually had a pool with all my friends to vote on who it would be. And disney is banking on this debate. So chances are, (much like ellen tigh) her parents will be unsuspecting yet make sense.
I remember the moment we realized that it was ellen. It was a perfect "a ha!" Moment.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Or even just doesn't jibe well with the film we saw.

For real? I was just talking with my non-nerd friend tonight. He just bought the blu-ray, and he was talking about Rey as if he assumed she was Luke's daughter. EVERYONE I talk to just assumes it (regular people, not super dorks like us). I said to him "well the movie hasn't confirmed Luke is her dad" and he said "Yeah but, it's pretty obvious that's where they're going."

Pretty much everyone, from the very real, blatant evidence in the movie, thinks Rey is a Skywalker. If she is or she isn't, they'll have to handle it very, very well to avoid pissing off pretty much the whole world at this point. If they pull some cutesy "tricked ya!" M. Night thing, they can kiss their days of a billion in ticket sales goodbye.

Last edited:

*If Rey is not a Skywalker, then what happens in the end will determine whether they've screwed the pooch for me personally. If Kylo dies in 9 and the numbered episodes end, then I'm alright with it. If they continue after 9, either Kylo needs survive, or he needs to have had a child, or Luke needs to have had a child (who is not Rey, obviously) for me to be ok with it. Or anything really so long as there is always a Skywalker, even if they're a bad guy and even if they're not force-sensitive (although I'd prefer it).

Regardless of Lucas's original intent for the numbered episodes, with the prequels they became the story of the Skywalker family, and that's the only way it makes sense to me to continue them moving forward. If they intend to continue the numbered episodes for as long as they make SW movies, then there should always be a Skywalker or a Skywalker descendent (and they don't even have to have that last name) as the main focus.*

**As a note before anyone should feel the need go on a diatribe about these comments, they are just my preferences/needs for an enjoyable experience and I certainly don't wish to force these opinions on anybody else or suggest that the filmmakers need to listen to me because only I know what's best for their story. But I am more than willing to have a healthy, civil discussion about them should anyone wish to do so.

Last edited:

I agree, without the Skywalkers it wouldn't really feel like Star Wars. The same with the anthology films, if they don't centre around established characters or events surrounding the saga movies, then what's the point?

People complain, wanting the universe expanded etc, but if the film was about some new aliens/family on the other side of the outer rim dealing with issues outside of the original adventure, then that is basically any other sci fi film you've ever seen with the SW logo and music slapped on the end of it.

*If Rey is not a Skywalker, then what happens in the end will determine whether they've screwed the pooch for me personally. If Kylo dies in 9 and the numbered episodes end, then I'm alright with it. If they continue after 9, either Kylo needs survive, or he needs to have had a child, or Luke needs to have had a child (who is not Rey, obviously) for me to be ok with it. Or anything really so long as there is always a Skywalker, even if they're a bad guy and even if they're not force-sensitive (although I'd prefer it).

Regardless of Lucas's original intent for the numbered episodes, with the prequels they became the story of the Skywalker family, and that's the only way it makes sense to me to continue them moving forward. If they intend to continue the numbered episodes for as long as they make SW movies, then there should always be a Skywalker or a Skywalker descendent (and they don't even have to have that last name) as the main focus.*

**As a note before anyone should feel the need go on a diatribe about these comments, they are just my preferences/needs for an enjoyable experience and I certainly don't wish to force these opinions on anybody else or suggest that the filmmakers need to listen to me because only I know what's best for their story. But I am more than willing to have a healthy, civil discussion about them should anyone wish to do so.

It's already been said the numeric Saga films are the Skywalker story. And we have 3 Skywalker's already in TFA. TFA sol $2.1B in tickets not based on Rey's parentage but on a terrific story. The next two films aren't going to sink or swim on her lineage either.

I think Daisy makes a great point in this:

"I think the amazing thing about [Episode VII] is that Finn and Rey don't come from anywhere and they find a place. And so, to me, it's funny that people think it's so important... Because regardless of where you come from, where you go is the thing, you're moving forward and you can make a family, you can find people you love. And so I think the progression Rey is making and the people she's meeting and the relationships she's making now are kind of more important than where she comes from."
- Daisy Ridley, on Rey's parents

There are many reasons why TFA did as well as it do... simply saying TFA did $2.1 billion in sales on "a terrific story" might be pushing it. If a "terrific story" where why movies sold tickets, the top grossing films of all time would probably look considerably different.

We could beat this horse to death - but, obviously TFA was well received. I think it was well received for many reasons - a fun story? yes. A familiar story? yes (some would argue a little too familiar). A story with plotholes? Oh, yes (more than most would like to admit). TFA isn't winning Oscars for its script or storylines - and I'd even argue that it deserved as much - if not more recognition than Mad Max (or a handful of other films did); but, certainly not for its "terrific story."

However, if you did mean terrific in the sense of "of great size, amount, or intensity" - I might give you that. However, that is not the reason why this movie made almost $2.1 billion at the box office.

There are many reasons why TFA did as well as it do... simply saying TFA did $2.1 billion in sales on "a terrific story" might be pushing it. If a "terrific story" where why movies sold tickets, the top grossing films of all time would probably look considerably different.

We could beat this horse to death - but, obviously TFA was well received. I think it was well received for many reasons - a fun story? yes. A familiar story? yes (some would argue a little too familiar). A story with plotholes? Oh, yes (more than most would like to admit). TFA isn't winning Oscars for its script or storylines - and I'd even argue that it deserved as much - if not more recognition than Mad Max (or a handful of other films did); but, certainly not for its "terrific story."

However, if you did mean terrific in the sense of "of great size, amount, or intensity" - I might give you that. However, that is not the reason why this movie made almost $2.1 billion at the box office.

Point being the story and characters were fun and well received. This is independent of Rey's lineage. If Ep. VIII continues this story in a way that also resonates with the audience, details like Rey's parents won't be the final arbiter of success, that's all. The notion that if Rey isn't a Skywalker the story is a failure is what I am arguing against. The story will be a failure if it fails to entertain.

Point being the story and characters were fun and well received. This is independent of Rey's lineage. If Ep. VIII continues this story in a way that also resonates with the audience, details like Rey's parents won't be the final arbiter of success, that's all. The notion that if Rey isn't a Skywalker the story is a failure is what I am arguing against. The story will be a failure if it fails to entertain.
That may be your point; but, that's not what you said. Is TFA's success really independent of Rey's lineage? Perhaps. There are huge indications that Rey carries some of the lineage - if they deny that, it could definitely be felt by many as a betrayal or a failure of storytelling (just like many feel that way about Anakin's virgin birth) and an ultimate indicator of this saga's success.

Too often you take your subjective thoughts and attempt to turn them objective.

TFA rocked and if that get's one panties in a twist well tough,enough of us "fans" liked it (I use that term loosely on myself) that we're gonna be there for eight and I'm among them.

Star Wars has always had plot holes and imperfections,meh,that's the way it is as it's pure fantasy so I let it slide.

I liked the story.
I liked Kylo.
I liked Rey.
I liked Finn.
I liked Poe.
I was happy to see the old crew again.

There's stuff I could nitpick but I compare this to Eps I,II,and III and there's no way around it THIS is SW while the prequels were....kinda SW,but yet not.

That may be your point; but, that's not what you said. Is TFA's success really independent of Rey's lineage? Perhaps. There are huge indications that Rey carries some of the lineage - if they deny that, it could definitely be felt by many as a betrayal or a failure of storytelling (just like many feel that way about Anakin's virgin birth) and an ultimate indicator of this saga's success.

Objectively that's an unlikely outcome. It's analysis based on probablities. There were plenty of people, subjectively, who decided they had problems with TFA that prevented them from enjoying it. Objectively the film was still a financial, critical, and audience driven success. Subjectively we can try and glean what direction the story may take but objectively the disposition of Rey's parents one way or another is highly unlikely to be as material as some are suggesting when they say Disney can kiss "Billion in ticket sales' goodbye". I'm perfectly comfortable stating it categorically, you are welcome to disagree. Now, subjectively, if the story is problematic, then they will have less success and that can be the case if Rey is a Skywalker or not.

I recall many people saying they would hate TFA is Luke didn't do this or that if Snoke wasn't Plagueis, etc. And yet most came out enjoying the experience as presented and left a lot of those preconceptions behind. I see Ep. VII at least starting from that point of goodwill.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back