Subscribe
    From
    Nashville, Tn
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 3, 2018, 4:30 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6601

Scarecrow Joe said: View Post
    Cool story, bro. Did you read the link I posted? It explains in detail how that drop the first week compares with the prequels. Did geeks saved the prequels too? LOL!
    Yes. I did. I would also refer you to this article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/...the-box-office

as well as this article:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#5d76bdb3dc05

As to your prequels question, they didn't split the fan base like TLJ, nor did they garner the multi layered subtext babble that you were supposedly only able to grasp after multiple viewings.
    Last edited by ObiWan_Knievil; 2 Weeks Ago at 4:40 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
    From
    Nashville, Tn
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 3, 2018, 4:39 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6602

JD said: View Post
    The first week drop is more attributable to the school holidays. When I went it saw it on the 26th, the place was full of families with children.
    Maybe, but the wife and kids went to a movie almost every day on the break up to Christmas day (thank you movie pass) and the theater was packed most every day. Heck, we saw Jumnaji and then my son saw it again the next day with his friends. I guess it depends on where you were live.

-OWK
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 3, 2018, 7:18 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6603

A simpler explanation is that perhaps there is more people out there that simply liked the movie. The numbers seem to support that, instead of this absurd conspiracy theory of geeks going to the movies to save and what not,....yada, yada. I swear it gets more ridiculous every day. LOL!
    From
    Metro Detroit
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 3, 2018, 9:35 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6604

ObiWan_Knievil said: View Post
    Maybe, but the wife and kids went to a movie almost every day on the break up to Christmas day (thank you movie pass) and the theater was packed most every day. Heck, we saw Jumnaji and then my son saw it again the next day with his friends. I guess it depends on where you were live.

-OWK
    Many Christmas breaks seem to have started the 25th (the last day of schooling being the 22nd) obviously varies from district to district. For example, NY, Chicago, Detroit schools started Christmas break on the 25th - however, LA schools started the 19th.
  5. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    1 Week Ago  Jan 6, 2018, 10:19 AM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6605

wonder why this movie was lame-o? heres why-https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    1 Week Ago  Jan 6, 2018, 10:47 AM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6606

DarkKnight said: View Post
    wonder why this movie was lame-o? heres why-https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html
    Computer software that breaks the saga down into what percentage of dialogue is spoken by what sex and race, eh? That's where we are. I'm so done with this.
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    1 Week Ago  Jan 6, 2018, 11:04 AM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6607

well the next James
    Bond after Craig may be a woman or black, maybe a black woman? Beyonce' is Bond! I wish Vader would show up and slice up everyone, the last 5 min of Rogue one is the best Star Wars since Empire
    1 Week Ago  Jan 6, 2018, 1:03 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6608

PantheraGem said: View Post
    Computer software that breaks the saga down into what percentage of dialogue is spoken by what sex and race, eh? That's where we are. I'm so done with this.
    Female characters speaking 50% of the dialogue is not only overdue but essential.
    Now what the writers/ directors choose their characters to say and why is where you need to focus. TLJ totally screwed that part up big time.
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    1 Week Ago  Jan 6, 2018, 7:33 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #6609

If you had asked George Lucas in 1977 who he was making Star Wars for most of all, he might very well have said "10yo boys."

It's a 21st-century attitude to assume that SW is even intended to appeal to both genders equally.

I'm just pointing out the way things are. So many people talk about the lack of female characters/dialogue in the old movies as an "oversight." Those movies were called Star WARS because they were heavy on war & combat & military things. The franchise has been dealing with male-heavy subject matter for most of its 40 years.

I'm fine with the more equalized approach now. SW was ready for a change and this is a good way to change it. But I just think we should see the old movies for what they were and not judge them by a modern yardstick that they were never designed for.