Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I don't know - this seems much more than parallel or poetry. I understand that certain things have to happen in this movie (Rey training being the most obvious) and Snoke has to have a base of some sort. But, some of this just seems a bit too obvious. I can only comment on what I've seen so far - do I mention Snoke's Royal Guard (which are arguably a movie early?), or the introduction of new (minority) character that joins our heroes? Are Porgs a riff on Ewoks or Yoda? You could make a arguments in a lot of different directions... most of them are just silly (like those mentioned in this paragraph - except the Praetorian Guard thing - they could've avoided the obvious similarity to the Emperor's Guard).

The Force Awakens had it share of parallels. As stated ad infinitum, probably relying a little too heavily an ANH. There were elements from the OT overall that just felt right to me. Could I have done with something different than Death Star III? Yes.

Yes, most of this is out of context and we don't know what the overall movie will hold yet. But, here's the Death Star - only bigger, here's a Super Star Destroyer - only bigger, here's an AT-AT - only bigger, here's a Jedi master - only bigger (see what I did there :D )... is getting a little too obvious, and could get stale very quickly.

A good story will definitely make these things fall to the wayside - as Star Wars is more about the characters and their arcs over eye candy. I'm surely not going to let new AT-ATs or a new Super Star Destroyer ruin my fun. I just would prefer to see them become just a little more original... and maybe that's coming. I'm also the guy that wished they moved away from X-Wings and TIE Fighters in TFA.

Those are solid points and hopefully those similarities are only superficial. I'm remaining optimistic mostly based on Johnson's potential to take the story in a new direction. I really hope he comes through.

On a side note, it's funny how Lucasfilm fights to keep things so secret during production only to have toy companies blow the lid off of things almost 4 months ahead of the premier. Not a big deal but it does let some wind out of the sails.

What exactly have the toys spoiled? We still know almost nothing about the plot from official sources.

lukes crystal necklace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR5pt5-79vA

i thought this was going to turn out to be bogus, but i guess not now

I guess I don't see that as a major spoiler. If the toys said something like "Luke Skywalker trains his daughter to fight the reincarnated Darth Plaguis, Snoke" I'd be miffed.

yeah i hear ya. I'm just saying i think this is the only thing that came out confirming/delaying any spoiler/rumors. i can't think of anything else?

What exactly have the toys spoiled? We still know almost nothing about the plot from official sources.

Not so much spoilers, but there's a cumulative effect from bits and pieces of information showing up on toy and model packaging this early on. But then again, I could obviously do a better job of avoiding this stuff so that's on me.

If that throne room playset is indicative of what happens in the movie then expect to see another trash compactor scene. It also includes an interrogation chair that hints at the possibility of a scene echoing Han's torture in ESB.

Speaking of official sources, Last month's EW interview with Rian Johnson revealed something a little more concrete about the plot:
The plot involving Canto Bight, DJ, Finn and Rose has many parallels to the Cloud City, Lando, Han and Leia storyline from Empire Strikes Back.

And thanks to Revell we now know why the Gorilla Walker has hands. It defecates these barrel bombs and flings them at the rebels.
o_1bovfonq41nt1pe51vg6b4o1f94f.JPG

Eer, no it doesn't throw things (as far as I can tell) with the front legs, they just change the elevation of the large gun.

And information on the Resistance Flagship "Raddus" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ogcogm9ag

I've got to admit I'm alot happier with some of the ship designs. I love that old Ralph McQuarrie A wing coming back into the series, and the Kylo Ren Tie is actually really slick (if not a bit dark knightish). And there looks to be a newer version of the old B wing on some of the box art.
The Raddus got a huge cheer from me when I saw it, and now I understand exactly how the Supremacy works as both arms factory, dockyards for the SDs, command operation headquarters and throne room for Snoke I like that even more.
Superficially I get what some people are saying about this being a very close copy to TESB BUT with the brief script outline I've pulled together using whats been dropped so far, APART from Reys training with Luke (which will be nothing like Yodas calm meditations) this is going to be more evenly filled with action set pieces that will build up to a huge climax and the main subplots don't seem to bear any similarity to the character interactions in TESB.
And I think the chances of Luke NOT drawing his lightsabre are pretty much nil. We already know Kylo and the Knights of Ren were seen over in Ireland for the shoot so they aren't going there just for a bit of sight seeing around the Jedi temple ruins. Given how well recieved Vaders mass slaughter was in "Rogue One" I don't think they'd pass up the opportunity to see Luke show why he is the last Jedi master.

Last edited:
i can see these gorilla walkers using these big "stomping hands" to try and penetrate bases below the ground, or just trample bases.

as for snokes mega star destroyer i just recently learned its 60km wide. the death star I was 160km wide. snokes ship is much bigger then i thought...

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed that none of the Luke figures released so far come with a lightsaber?
Might mean nothing, but definitely something I noticed.
Robert

If that throne room playset is indicative of what happens in the movie then expect to see another trash compactor scene. It also includes an interrogation chair that hints at the possibility of a scene echoing Han's torture in ESB.

Speaking of official sources, Last month's EW interview with Rian Johnson revealed something a little more concrete about the plot:
The plot involving Canto Bight, DJ, Finn and Rose has many parallels to the Cloud City, Lando, Han and Leia storyline from Empire Strikes Back.

And thanks to Revell we now know why the Gorilla Walker has hands. It defecates these barrel bombs and flings them at the rebels.
http://www.figures.com/wordpress/wp...ry-uploads/o_1bovfonq41nt1pe51vg6b4o1f94f.JPG

is anyone else thinking a anti personnel mine that the AT drops?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed that none of the Luke figures released so far come with a lightsaber?
Robert

Ah, kinda scary. Starkiller started a thread seeing how you would feel if he doesn't use the saber in ep8

I'm amazed the figures didn't come with one, yet again we only got Luke with the ep7 costume right?

At least that's all I've seen

Robert

Maybe nothing but the windshield on his hotwheels car is Green....would lead one to believe he has his green lightsaber

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back