Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Anakin Skywalker: An angel. I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They're the most beautiful creatures in the universe. They live on the moon of Iego, I think.

Trying to YouTube that scene to hear how to pronounce this planet "E-i-go" is what I'm guess

Some cool new bits up at the SW.com 'databank' including this little beauty...

"Crait... Now uninhabited, Crait is a mineral world dusted by a layer of white salt, reflecting the planet's sunlight. It was once the site of a Rebel Alliance outpost, and has become a haven for the fleeing Resistance forces."

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 92
Agreed. The over the top size thing is at stupid proportions. I thought Starkiller base was silly, but this is....
The literal size-up of the Death Star vs. Starkiller in TFA made me think of JJ storyboarding that scene, like Stewart from MadTV. "Look what I can do!"

So Empire gave us AT-AT Walkers, The Last Jedi gives us new AT-AT Walkers.
Empire gave us those Walkers fighting on a white, snow planet, The Last Jedi gives us their Walkers fighting on a white, dusty planet (now with red highlights).
Empire gave us Luke training with an old Jedi Master, The Last Jedi gives us Rey training with an old Jedi Master.
Empire gave us a new, massive Star Destroyer. The Last Jedi gives us a new, massive Star Destroyer.

I know Rian Johnson has made it clear that this isn't an Empire copy. But, man... there sure are a lot of parallels that sure feel like they could have been avoided just for this type of comparison.

If someone ends up frozen at the end...

Just saw the box art for the TIE Silencer toy, and it has the death star in the background. A badly rendered and inaccurate one. Hoping that the art department just grabbed whatever pic the could and that theres really NOT another death star again. Poor choice either way.

Wow. I was prepared for how stupid Snoke's ship sounded, but this topped my imagination. It's like they started this movie with "*$!% you design!"I think at this point I will only see this in the theater if my nephew wants me to take him.

Just saw the box art for the TIE Silencer toy, and it has the death star in the background. A badly rendered and inaccurate one. Hoping that the art department just grabbed whatever pic the could and that theres really NOT another death star again. Poor choice either way.

This eBay auction (not my auction - just posting for the images) is the only place I could find the box art during a quick search... is this the same box art you saw? Because I'm not seeing a Death Star.

Wow. I was prepared for how stupid Snoke's ship sounded, but this topped my imagination. It's like they started this movie with "*$!% you design!"I think at this point I will only see this in the theater if my nephew wants me to take him.
You should still go see it just to see it in the theater, but then if you hate it, you never have to watch it again. Find the cheapest theater you can.

- - - Updated - - -

This eBay auction (not my auction - just posting for the images) is the only place I could find the box art during a quick search... is this the same box art you saw? Because I'm not seeing a Death Star.
That looks much better. Heres the link to see for yourself. maybe it fake....who knows anymore....

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-death-star-force-friday-2-toy/

Ok after looking at Snoke's ship again, I missed where it said it was a mobile command ship and can build ships. That works a little more, a little. It's still a ridiculous scale. I think they should have maybe went something like four or five times the size of a SSD, but this scale is kind of ludicrous. I think this ship is something around the size of the Star Forge from KOTOR.

As if Lucas didn't do the parallels, ("It's like poetry, it rhymes.") it make sense that heroes win in first one, lose in the 2nd & win in the 3rd. Things are similar in every way except the ways they're not. Which are conveniently left out of conversation.

So Empire gave us AT-AT Walkers, The Last Jedi gives us new AT-AT Walkers.
Empire gave us those Walkers fighting on a white, snow planet, The Last Jedi gives us their Walkers fighting on a white, dusty planet (now with red highlights).
Empire gave us Luke training with an old Jedi Master, The Last Jedi gives us Rey training with an old Jedi Master.
Empire gave us a new, massive Star Destroyer. The Last Jedi gives us a new, massive Star Destroyer.

I know Rian Johnson has made it clear that this isn't an Empire copy. But, man... there sure are a lot of parallels that sure feel like they could have been avoided just for this type of comparison.

If someone ends up frozen at the end...

- - - Updated - - -

It's still not approaching the size of The Death Star. Where is the cut off? SW had it wrong when it comes to SCIENCE since 1977 & that's OK. It's more fantasy anyway.

Ok after looking at Snoke's ship again, I missed where it said it was a mobile command ship and can build ships. That works a little more, a little. It's still a ridiculous scale. I think they should have maybe went something like four or five times the size of a SSD, but this scale is kind of ludicrous. I think this ship is something around the size of the Star Forge from KOTOR.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys regrouped with I imagine few planets supporting them. Even if they had maybe 1/3 of the former Imperial planets on their side, I don't know how they would crew this thing unless it uses a LOT of droids.

Was playing with the new walker, (AT-MG I think it was called) in photoshop to see if I could fix it up a little. Took out those monkey hands and give it the 4 normal type feet, but widened the legs and made the feet bigger. I shortened the two things hanging off the side of the chin. Brought the top hump down a little and thought I'd add two guns on the side just to see how that looks. Not too crazy about the big gun on its neck/ back area, but not really sure what to do there. Just wondering what anyone thinks.
at.jpg

As if Lucas didn't do the parallels, ("It's like poetry, it rhymes.") it make sense that heroes win in first one, lose in the 2nd & win in the 3rd. Things are similar in every way except the ways they're not. Which are conveniently left out of conversation.
I don't know - this seems much more than parallel or poetry. I understand that certain things have to happen in this movie (Rey training being the most obvious) and Snoke has to have a base of some sort. But, some of this just seems a bit too obvious. I can only comment on what I've seen so far - do I mention Snoke's Royal Guard (which are arguably a movie early?), or the introduction of new (minority) character that joins our heroes? Are Porgs a riff on Ewoks or Yoda? You could make a arguments in a lot of different directions... most of them are just silly (like those mentioned in this paragraph - except the Praetorian Guard thing - they could've avoided the obvious similarity to the Emperor's Guard).

The Force Awakens had it share of parallels. As stated ad infinitum, probably relying a little too heavily an ANH. There were elements from the OT overall that just felt right to me. Could I have done with something different than Death Star III? Yes.

Yes, most of this is out of context and we don't know what the overall movie will hold yet. But, here's the Death Star - only bigger, here's a Super Star Destroyer - only bigger, here's an AT-AT - only bigger, here's a Jedi master - only bigger (see what I did there :D )... is getting a little too obvious, and could get stale very quickly.

A good story will definitely make these things fall to the wayside - as Star Wars is more about the characters and their arcs over eye candy. I'm surely not going to let new AT-ATs or a new Super Star Destroyer ruin my fun. I just would prefer to see them become just a little more original... and maybe that's coming. I'm also the guy that wished they moved away from X-Wings and TIE Fighters in TFA.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back