Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

To me, it looks more like they crossed an AT-AT with some kind of a siege engine. The front legs look like they'd be suited for bringing down walls.

Yeah, that makes sense given the other medieval influences we're seeing in these movies. And the AT-M6 is a strange enough looking design, those front legs in particular, that makes me think there's more to it than meets the eye. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Hmmm...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 2.04.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 2.04.10 PM.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 117
For sure, I could totally see that happening in the film. They said a lot of its design and functionality is to avoid the debacle on Hoth with tow cables.

What am I missing? Wouldn’t it be easier to trip that thing when it is standing up on its hind legs posing like a weightlifter with all of its weight and center of gravity much higher? How is that more stable than a four-legged machine? Have you never tried to recover your balance after your dog ran in front of your legs while you were walking?

M

edit- oh, wait – I get it. If the two back legs get tripped up, the thing can just fall forward and brace itself on the forward arms. And then drag its tied up legs uselessly along like a drunk man trying to take his pants off. Is that it?

What am I missing? Wouldn’t it be easier to trip that thing when it is standing up on its hind legs posing like a weightlifter with all of its weight and center of gravity much higher? How is that more stable than a four-legged machine? Have you never tried to recover your balance after your dog ran in front of your legs while you were walking?

M

edit- oh, wait – I get it. If the two back legs get tripped up, the thing can just fall forward and brace itself on the forward arms. And then drag its tied up legs uselessly along like a drunk man trying to take his pants off. Is that it?

Don't ask me, I just work here... ;)

Okay, but how was the original AT-AT, which was also top heavy and essentially walking on stilts over icy terrain better than, say, a low-level tank that has treads? It wasn't. But it was visually exciting and striking and made a lasting impression on anyone who saw it as a kid within the context of the story. And in a fantasy film that doesn't really pretend to adhere to our laws of physics, you have to be willing to suspend a certain amount of disbelief to enjoy the ride.

That's one of the things I've always loved about Star Wars. I don't always have to buy what's on screen as real in order to buy it as believable for the sake of the story being told.

But I do like your drunk guy trying to remove his pants analogy. I can totally see an AT-M6 trying that maneuver while the original AT-ATs laugh at it.

You can't think practically when it comes to walkers. They make no sense in real life. My nephew was watching ESB Sunday and my dad said "What is the point of those things really? Why don't they just have tanks?" It's just a terror weapon and it looks cool.

I also don't get why they say this walker is immune to being tripped. I get that it has heavier front legs, but do they really have cable cutters or something? Maybe they just bust through cabling. I didn't like the Starkiller base walkers, but those at least looked like they had a laser turret slung underneath to counter that.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back