Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Yep, I'll bet we've all made a few of those awkward speeches at one time or another. I like what Lucas is saying in those quotes above, I just don't think he managed to pull it off in the movie.

The fireplace scene was wildly inappropriate. :) That was something GL wished HAD happened to him...

Last edited:
Regarding Mark's comments about Ben being the chosen one, Anthony Breznican in this interview on the Steele Wars Podcast clears up what he felt Mek meant by that comment that he reported on. Basically that Ben was seen by Luke as the heir apparent to lead his new Jedi Order, not a Chosen One as per the prophecy of the Force. That was his opinion but since he was the one Mark said it to he at least has the proper context. It's a great interview.

http://steelewars.com/anthony-breznican-ew-tlj/

That's how I took that. Lucas was clear that Anakin was the Chosen One.

The fireplace scene was wildly inappropriate. :) That was something GL wished HAD happened to him...

Anakin didn't even get any after that! They said it was their first kiss. C'mon!

I will change my opinion on the walker if it walks like a gorilla. That would just be ridiculous.

Also I forget who said that Star Destroyer looks like a fan design, check that site I posted last night because even a fan design would be better! Everyone complains that Lucas didn't listen to anyone, well I hope one of the artists on this would have spoken up and said they could do better. I think most fans could sketch up something cooler than that. Yeah it apparently fits the script, but c'mon at least try to make it look cool!

To add to the above, here's more of what George said about that dialogue in AOTC.
" ...I wanted to tell the love story in a style that was extremely old-fashioned., and, frankly, I didn't know if I was going to be able to pull it off. In many ways, this was much more like a movie from the 1930s than any of the others had been., with a slightly over-the-top poetic style - and they just don't do that in movies anymore. I was very happy with the way it turned out in the script and in the performances, but I knew a lot of people might not buy it. A lot of guys were going to see this movie, and most guys think that kind of flowery, poetic talk is stupid - 'Come on, give me a break.' More sophisticated, cynical types also don't buy that stuff. So I didn't know if people would laugh at it or throw things at the screen, or if they would accept it."

I've actually said what Anakin said to a girl before when I was a teen in very similar wording, so to me it's not exactly unrealistic.

That doesn't make it good dialogue or a good scene. I can still recall the collective groans and laughter in the theater during that exchange. It was embarrassing. I was no Casanova with the ladies in my teens, buy if I had spoken to a girl like that then I would've deserved to be single. This is one of the most mocked and reviled scenes in the PT for a reason.

Honestly everything in seeing about this movie is just 'meh'. The designs (not just the vehicles, but the weapons and costumes too) just feel like they skipped half the steps in the design development process, just took the first rough sketch and toned it down a bit, and then used it. And the more I see about the plot the more it looks like it'll be a rehash of empire.

It's like everyone in production has already run out of ideas, which is ridiculous.

If that walker stands on it's hind legs, i'm just gonna say 'saw that coming' :)

Seems as if someone high up the chain is of the mantra bigger = better.

OT, Tie fighter = 1 seater
ST, Tie fighter =2 seater with more room inside than that

OT, Death Star = Size of a small moon
ST, Death Star WAS a large moon or small planet.

OT, Star Destroyer
ST, new SD is a piece of pizza 5 miles long.

Seems as if the First Order isn't doing anything different, they just have bigger stuff and more troopers.

To be fair it only took three films in the original trilogy for them to come with a bigger death star, and one film for a 15 mile long super star destroyer.

Hey, George spent his teens fixing and driving roadsters. I'm sure he's got at least a couple of good stories!

I can maybe get to like that walker, but that Star Destroyer is just boring as heck! I could accept that ship in a SW game, but for a main ship in a movie? No way. You can find way better designs on Ansel Hsiao's site: http://fractalsponge.net/ and he has done stuff for SW books.

I know we're talking about make believe spaceships and all but Hsiao makes some excellent points.

It sounds like a lot of people do from reading comments on various sites.

He sounds like your average whiny fanboy, stomping his feet, crying "it's not done the way I want it done."

I don't think it's the greatest design I've ever seen; but, I haven't seen it in the context of the film. I don't think this is the only First Order big ship we're going to see, so this could just be a bit player as far as starships go - and not meant to distract from those that are a bigger player to the story.

Kinda hoping this Super Star Destroyer will have a small part or maybe more in the background, because it sure is so basic compared to Vader's Executor.

He sounds like your average whiny fanboy, stomping his feet, crying "it's not done the way I want it done."

I don't think it's the greatest design I've ever seen; but, I haven't seen it in the context of the film. I don't think this is the only First Order big ship we're going to see, so this could just be a bit player as far as starships go - and not meant to distract from those that are a bigger player to the story.

I don't know about stomping his feet but, sure, he's a little whiny in his intro with the Mary Sue junk and the whole "turn back now if you can't handle it" like he's about to discuss open heart surgery. But I think his points about building visual clues into a model to suggest scale and believability are insightful as to why the new Dreadnought design seems off.

But you're right, this particular ship is probably a bit player in the grand scheme. We're all just spitballing while waiting for the new trailer to drop.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back