Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Although I am a huge fan of the clone wars star wars really picks and chooses the superpowers of the force. A lot of the time I can justify it. And as we've seen before, just because you can wield the force, it doesn't mean that you can see all and do all. Vader never even considered leia to be kin until he sensed that Luke was hiding something.

But the lightsaber always seemed like it was symbolically important to the Jedi. Like using your Dad's baseball mitt. They were heirlooms. Antiques.

Which is why Kylo would want Anakin skywalkers lightsaber. Because he was buying into the iconography of Darth Vader.

But as far as Luke sifting through the debris of the deathstar to find the kyber crustal belonging to Vader? (For one thing, it exploded in all directions, there is a very slim chance that it made it to endor) it sounds like uncreative fan fic. Or at the very least a comic book side quest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Regardless how you may feel about it, it is established in canon that Jedi can sense Kyber crystals. So it's not an unreasonable in universe conceit assuming it happens.

Regardless how you may feel about it, it is established in canon that Jedi can sense Kyber crystals. So it's not an unreasonable in universe conceit assuming it happens.
It's been established that Jedi go through a trial where they use the force to help them in their crystal. (Or the crystal chooses them)

But it's also canon that if you lose your lighsaber you can build or borrow another one.

But it has never been established that you can pick out someone else's crystal (or the third one they had) out of a cluster of thousands.

Or why that is even important.

Did Anakin go on some quest back to the droid factory to find the kyber Crystal from his smashed lightsaber? Did Luke return to cloud city to sift through the trash? No. Because it was never important. The lightsaber is a sacred tool. But does that mean it's a magical one?

The fact is, the Disney verse is trying to turn these things into magical macguffins, like the ring from LOTR.

It's desperate, convoluted, convenient and silly. Like Luke's sabre was. They're tying themselves in knots and falling flat on their face in trying to connect old and new trilogy.

the last part i'd agree with.

but considering even zahn had them find luke's old saber, i'm wiling to let HIS saber pass at least.

But yeah, they seem to be bending over backwards trying to connect old 'memba this' dots. like giving kylo a new cape to connect him even more to vader.

It's been established that Jedi go through a trial where they use the force to help them in their crystal. (Or the crystal chooses them)

But it's also canon that if you lose your lighsaber you can build or borrow another one.

But it has never been established that you can pick out someone else's crystal (or the third one they had) out of a cluster of thousands.

Did Anakin go on some quest back to the droid factory to find the kyber Crystal from his smashed lightsaber? Did Luke return to cloud city to sift through the trash? No. Because it was never important. The lightsaber is a sacred tool. But does that mean it's a magical one?

The fact is, the Disney verse is trying to turn these things into magical macguffins, like the ring from LOTR.

But what is wrong with expanding the mythology? Does it canonicaly violate any precedent? I think it fits well within the established framework.

On one hand we have disgruntled fans lamenting E7 was a fascmile of E4 and on the other hand fans are complaining about new ideas and concepts....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But what is wrong with expanding the mythology? Does it canonicaly violate any precedent? I think it fits well within the established framework.

On one hand we have disgruntled fans lamenting E7 was a fascmile of E4 and on the other hand fans are complaining about new ideas and concepts....

But this isn't a new idea. This is just about finding a prop from the old series. It's about taking familiar iconography and making the entire movie revolve around it.

there are good new ideas (always tough to come up with)

and there is stuff that feels like fan fiction.

To me, something like Cad Bane and BB8 are good new ideas.

Luke finding vaders crystal, if it could even survive all that exploding, sounds like bad fan fiction.

Episode 9 Turns out yoda had a secret love child! Quick, Rey, find her to complete your training!...

oh, wait, i'm giving them ideas. sorry disney :)

I also wonder how many people would love this idea if lucas came up with it ;o)

Or if Timothy Zahn came up with it.

I have never read any of the books. Or played any of the games.

So I just call 'em as I see 'em.

If this search for a lost lightsaber was in an EU story, then I appreciate that Lucas refused to make that canon. It just sounds like an unimportant side quest.

The crystal idea is horrible. Even in a sci-fi world, it's just F'n ridiculous. It strains intelligence to accept any explanation for how it could even be possible. It's not surprising that the writing may have gotten that bad, but it really is just cringe worthy, comic book crap. I pray it's all just nonsense.

The Death Star II exploded in the orbit of Endor's Moon.....(we didn't see Endor BTW),.....so although the DSII exploded in all directions, it's a fair bet that all debris of the space station remained in orbit or fell to the surface...thats using our universe science,....who knows whats possible in SW fairytale

The Kyber crystals have been pushed to the front of LFL/Disney storytelling in both their releases....(I don't follow the books or the kids cartoons).....Jinn wore one around her neck & prayed to it in time of need....In TFA.....Luke's/Anakin's sword called to Rey & we saw a Force vision

.....so don't think that Vader's crystal calling to his son would be beyond reason in the current storyline,

J

Spoiler.. This IS the new plot:

Decorated Hero Luke gets all his beloved friends and the entire Rebel Fleet behind him to save the Galaxy with a TOP SECRET plan! First he ruins everything by flying past a SD bridge AND the Death Star so he gets NOTICED by his Father, who does NOT tractor beam him in, before taking his friends into an OBVIOUS and certain death trap set by the Emperor on Endor. Which despite having a SHINY GOLD ROBOT with them, they EASILY get around the trap, but dont blow the place up, prefering to SURRENDER instead. Oh and at some point he uses all his Force Powers as a JEDI to SURRENDER to hamsters with toothpicks, he SURRENDERS again to get onto the Death Star to KILL Vader and the Emperor, SURRENDERS YET AGAIN and now REFUSES to KILL either as he'd rather roll around on the floor cryin like a bitch and die for NOTHING while all his friends DIE in space. Finally his father simply throws the almighty all powerfull Emperor off a balcony!! Although Luke took WAY more force lightning,, and is absolutely FINE... Terminator Vader DIES........

Oh.. i forgot that BS is Already Cannon.

How about... Vaders Crystal drifts accross deep Space and finds Luke all on its own, landing at his feet on his Private Island. He takes it into his cave calls it "my precious" and then SURRENDERS at every opportunity to get eveyone killed. Sounds like a plan Disney, you up for it? $200 million and ill throw in some penguins? :D

Spoiler.. This IS the new plot:

Decorated Hero Luke gets all his beloved friends and the entire Rebel Fleet behind him to save the Galaxy with a TOP SECRET plan! First he ruins everything by flying past a SD bridge AND the Death Star so he gets NOTICED by his Father, who does NOT tractor beam him in, before taking his friends into an OBVIOUS and certain death trap set by the Emperor on Endor. Which despite having a SHINY GOLD ROBOT with them, they EASILY get around the trap, but dont blow the place up, prefering to SURRENDER instead. Oh and at some point he uses all his Force Powers as a JEDI to SURRENDER to hamsters with toothpicks, he SURRENDERS again to get onto the Death Star to KILL Vader and the Emperor, SURRENDERS YET AGAIN and now REFUSES to KILL either as he'd rather roll around on the floor cryin like a bitch and die for NOTHING while all his friends DIE in space. Finally his father simply throws the almighty all powerfull Emperor off a balcony!! Although Luke took WAY more force lightning,, and is absolutely FINE... Terminator Vader DIES........

Oh.. i forgot that BS is Already Cannon.

How about... Vaders Crystal drifts accross deep Space and finds Luke all on its own, landing at his feet on his Private Island. He takes it into his cave calls it "my precious" and then SURRENDERS at every opportunity to get eveyone killed. Sounds like a plan Disney, you up for it? $200 million and ill throw in some penguins? :D
LOL, I admit I was reading this on the crapper and laughed pretty hard.

Yeah I have to agree with this too. But like matty matt said, who knows if thats even what the necklace is, it could be anything. I just dont want the force to be some dues ex machina kind of a plot device. That being said, I do want to go more into the mythology of it, but not TOO much, cause when you explain TOO much, it takes all the wonder and excitement out of it. There must be a balance. ;) I personally like the lightsaber to be more of an heirloom kind of artifact, not the GD sword of omens... of course some of you old farts might not even know what the sword of omens is, look it up! :lol

Yeah I have to agree with this too. But like matty matt said, who knows if thats even what the necklace is, it could be anything. I just dont want the force to be some dues ex machina kind of a plot device. That being said, I do want to go more into the mythology of it, but not TOO much, cause when you explain TOO much, it takes all the wonder and excitement out of it. There must be a balance. ;) I personally like the lightsaber to be more of an heirloom kind of artifact, not the GD sword of omens... of course some of you old farts might not even know what the sword of omens is, look it up! :lol

The new sword of omens or the ORIGINAL sword of omens that could solve any plot device? the original was far cooler cause it was more magical ;o)

Yeah I have to agree with this too. But like matty matt said, who knows if thats even what the necklace is, it could be anything. I just dont want the force to be some dues ex machina kind of a plot device. That being said, I do want to go more into the mythology of it, but not TOO much, cause when you explain TOO much, it takes all the wonder and excitement out of it. There must be a balance. ;) I personally like the lightsaber to be more of an heirloom kind of artifact, not the GD sword of omens... of course some of you old farts might not even know what the sword of omens is, look it up! [emoji38]
The way I see this galaxy is that in ANH, Han Solo said that he has never seen any proof of the force in all of his travels.

But we find out from kenobi that it existed with the Jedi for ages, only to have all proof of it wiped out by the empire. Even the imperial elite echoes this sentiment. They saw Vader as a deluded practitioner of false witchcraft.

And for the most part, that actually gels with the prequels.

But turning the galaxy into a LOTR/ final fantasy place doesn't make that galaxy nearly as attractive. And frankly, I would have called shenigans on the clone wars for going so far into the concrete magic of it all if the actual show wasn't so good

The crystal things is the least problematic idea IMO. Like was said, crystals can be found through the Force, so there's no doubt Luke could easily find Vader's. Then the fact that it survived is plausible. Having it fall back to Endor is likely because it's in orbit so gravity... and we know the Force can make things happen so who knows if it was guided to where it would be found. I think that's more plausible then someone finding Luke's ESB lightsaber, which presumably should have ended up smashed in Bespin's core. Either of those is the least of my concerns on either movie.

This is right up there with the Vader's walking pace discussion on the Rogue One thread! :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back