Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I have one bitch with studios and really Star Wars. If JJ or who ever thinks that this story needs to be 3 to 3.5 hours let it. People have been waiting for these stories for 30 years. Don't cut corners and just assume the audience will figure it out of fill in the blanks. I mean would Gone with the Wind be as good as a movie if they cut it down to 90 minutes? Some stories need/deserve that extra and I feel that Star Wars fits that bill.

here here!! The story takes what the story takes. They shouldn't cut things to 2 hours or less do to some arbitrary actuarial chart about what brings in the most cash. You cite GWTW, i'll toss in The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, Lawerence of Arabia, Titanic, and Avatar. ALL of which are in the top grossing flicks for all time when adjusted for inflation..

One thing is certain, Disney will not end the IP of Jedi, that will continue for as long as the franchise has life.

True.

I tend to think it will be kind of a the (old) jedi are dead, long live the (new) jedi type of thing.

-------------

as for playing it safe to pay off the purchase...that's laughable frankly. Between R1, TFA, and everything they've made since the acquisition on licensing and sales of the first 6, they've pretty much hit that mark already. Worst case, it's surpassed come December/January.

-----------

People mourning the EU really need to get over it. I get some people loved it immensely. However, it was nullified, what? 4 years ago now? Not to mention it was spelled out before the first Zahn book that if LFL ever made post ROTJ movies they weren't beholden to anything that was written when they allowed authors into the sandbox. Not to mention we've rehashed here ad naseum why they couldn't keep it.

Disagree.

A lot of the same tired arguments I've read evertwhere else. (Was difficult to make it past the TFA copy/paste comment).

A follow up to TFA is of course going to show retalliation from the first order. Luke training Rey is also nearly a given. I don't see how those elements are surprising or disappointing.

The books on the shelf hint at a deeper mythology to the Force, did he miss that?

Other than that, it's basically just a trailer of Star Wars action scenes, including battling in space. Very little, if any plot points were revealed, and you know you cannot trust the dialogue they insert, if you remember how they did the TFA trailers.

I got the feeling he was an EU fan that would only be pleased if they "imagined" things from legends and inserted them in to the film.

I found the teaser to be pretty cool. It shows they are working on it, and visually it looks great. Plot-wise, have no idea, and there's way to form an informed opinion it so far.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

You really don't see why elements of TFA are disappointing? How about it's all been done before and much better in ANH...
The plot of TLJ is irrelevant to me, I have ZERO investment in any of the story or characters...
TFA ruined any ongoing Star Wars Saga for me, for ALL the valid reasons given in the YouTube link I posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ietaHqGyvJc

So, I was just reading an article that was discussing the TLJ trailer, and they pointed out the French dubbed trailer ends the line with "le temps est venu pour les Jedi d'en finir," which translates to "the time has come for the Jedi to put an end to it." Very interesting......

-OWK

So, I was just reading an article that was discussing the TLJ trailer, and they pointed out the French dubbed trailer ends the line with "le temps est venu pour les Jedi d'en finir," which translates to "the time has come for the Jedi to put an end to it." Very interesting......

-OWK
And the Geeman version of the trailer translates the last sentence to "the time of the Jedi is over"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You really don't see why elements of TFA are disappointing? How about it's all been done before and much better in ANH...
The plot of TLJ is irrelevant to me, I have ZERO investment in any of the story or characters...
TFA ruined any ongoing Star Wars Saga for me, for ALL the valid reasons given in the YouTube link I posted...

Your link is confirmation bias, it confirms your personal feelings and therefore has a lot validity and credibility for you. For those of us who had a different experience watching the film, it has little veracity.

I see why they are disappointing to some, but doesn't the reasoning to me doesn't make sense.

Points in the in the video may be valid - to you. To me, it sounds like a carry-over of the disdain some directed at TFA, and seems they are unwilling to let that go.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I know there's no debate if we all share the same opinion but some members are so vehemently hating TFA and 40 seconds of TLJ, claiming no interest in the ongoing franchise. So why are they contributing to this thread?
Save your trolling for YouTube!

Many thought they had it all figured out with TFA, even long drawn out theories of why Luke was actually Kylo Ren, even though they had Driver officially cast as the role.

I'm not even going to entertain the idea of watching people's youtube rants or guesses on what's going on based on a handful of shots and mixes of edited dialogue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

because when we create separate threads for vents versus positive, they get locked instantly. and the positive people, as time goes on, get less and less tolerant of the negative people and, well, there we go :)

Just cause you don't care for the direction it goes in, doesn't mean that you still don't like discussing it, or trying to keep up on what little you can.
constantly not liking something, or even occasionally not liking something, shouldn't come off as a personal insult. and that's how it sometimes feels with some of these replies. i don't think positivity is 'trolling' so, why should not liking something?

if you don't like the not liking, just ignore it! constantly telling someone their opinion doesn't matter just because you don't agree with it, is just as tiresome to us as it is seeing someone complain about 'negativity' ;o). and these days, alot of that falls into the category of saying something, anything, someone simply doesn't like! it doesn't have to even be anything truly 'nasty'. could be as simple as, i don't agree with you, that's 'trolling', get out of here!

if we can't have separate threads, then using the ignore feature will stop alot of headaches ;o).

and just for the record, i still think alot of 'positive' and 'negative' threads would make alot of peoples experience here far less stressful, for those that like nothing but positive vibes :).

Last edited:
because when we create separate threads for vents versus positive, they get locked instantly. and the positive people, as time goes on, get less and less tolerant of the negative people and, well, there we go :)

Just cause you don't care for the direction it goes in, doesn't mean that you still don't like discussing it, or trying to keep up on what little you can.
constantly not liking something, or even occasionally not liking something, shouldn't come off as a personal insult. and that's how it sometimes feels with some of these replies. i don't think positivity is 'trolling' so, why should not liking something?

if you don't like the not liking, just ignore it! constantly telling someone their opinion doesn't matter just because you don't agree with it, is just as tiresome to us as it is seeing someone complain about 'negativity' ;o). and these days, alot of that falls into the category of saying something, anything, someone simply doesn't like! it doesn't have to even be anything truly 'nasty'. could be as simple as, i don't agree with you, that's 'trolling', get out of here!

if we can't have separate threads, then using the ignore feature will stop alot of headaches ;o).

and just for the record, i still think alot of 'positive' and 'negative' threads would make alot of peoples experience here far less stressful, for those that like nothing but positive vibes :).

The positive people don't keep on saying how they loved this or that bit,....they talk normally about breaking news & speculation,...analysing every detail,....connecting the dots,...whereas the negative people just usually say the same thing over and over

But you have talked me into using the ignore function

J

The end of the Jedi doesn't mean the end of the "IP" for Disney. It just means that we've seen the end of the Jedi timeline. Disney can still easily GO BACK and tell stories around the Jedi that take place before or even concurrent with the Skywalker saga.

To see the end of force users, light and dark, would be a fitting and dramatic ending. It also doesn't mean the end of the force. Just force users. Like it's a responsibility too great for any to take on, so therefore, it ends.

The positive people don't keep on saying how they loved this or that bit,....they talk normally about breaking news & speculation,...analysing every detail,....connecting the dots,...whereas the negative people just usually say the same thing over and over

But you have talked me into using the ignore function

J

glad to see it!

Actually, there ARE quite a few positive people who do exactly that! even if the majority of people who think the thing is bad! We don't care that you think the thing is good, but most of the positive people are extremely hostile to any viewpoint they don't like or deem 'negative'....hence why i have about 15 people on my ignore list :).

- - - Updated - - -

The end of the Jedi doesn't mean the end of the "IP" for Disney. It just means that we've seen the end of the Jedi timeline. Disney can still easily GO BACK and tell stories around the Jedi that take place before or even concurrent with the Skywalker saga.

To see the end of force users, light and dark, would be a fitting and dramatic ending. It also doesn't mean the end of the force. Just force users. Like it's a responsibility too great for any to take on, so therefore, it ends.

which is kind of a weird way to think about it, because in a galaxy where the most dangerous people are NON force users, who can create entire weapons to blow up planets....makes the force kind of moot ;o)

They could, and I suppose it really depends on where they want to take the next trilogy of Saga films after Ep. IX. I'm inclined to think they will always want to have a Jedi and the tropes of the Force and lightsabers feature in Saga films, though, it's what keeps the people coming back for more. :)

In regards to this film, the teaser poster showing Rey in the middle bisecting the faces of Luke and Kylo with her lightsaber is telling. I think Luke is very disillusioned by his efforts to restart the Jedi order and does feel the need to end the Jedi as an institution but perhaps Rey shows him the opportunity to reinvent what it means to actually be a Jedi and their relationship with the Force and that's how it will continue, in a fashion we aren't familiar with yet.

Is there an echo in hear? ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back