Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

..BUT

at least they're taking it somewhere.....otherwise Star Wars had been relegated collecting dust on the cinematic shelves of history.

Dust would've been preferable honestly. I was not happy when LFL was sold because I was afraid Disney would do exactly what they are doing. They'll just keep milking it until its truly dead. Then the reboots will come.

The last big ship design in the trailer is new???? !!!!!!!!¬

If you cut an X wings wing off, stick a falcons cabin on the front engine, that's your "new "design. It looks, like quite a few of the new ships that have been introduced , just wrong. And lazy. No elegance , no military function or structure, just clumsy as hell.

The updated A wing whose tail you can see in the exploding landing bay shot and in the blurry still above looks great ,like the new X wing did from TFA. But this obsession with over sized wings and lego brick like designs are neither a movement forward or an innovative design. The toy sales from these are going to crash to the ground like that horrible B wing brick from TFA.

Does this sound familiar to you?

TIE Fighter- Such a cool design!
TIE Advanced- Unoriginal copy of TIE fighter with slightly bent wings
TIE Bomber- Booo, those lazy designers just changed the cockpit of the TIE Advanced! SW ruined!
TIE Interceptor- Worst design in the film ever! Life ruined! They just changed the wings of the original TIE Fighter...

If not, then you sir are a hypocrite.

Well, that was almost great except for Luke...wonderful now we get an emo Luke. Can't they just leave one of our heroes alone and let them have some semblance of a happy ending? Not everyone has to be Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven.

-OWK

Dust would've been preferable honestly. I was not happy when LFL was sold because I was afraid Disney would do exactly what they are doing. They'll just keep milking it until its truly dead. Then the reboots will come.
That eyeroll emoji doesnt cut it. I havent gone through all the posts made in this thread, but have you been as vocal as you are right now since the new movies started? Are you an OT purist, or do you like the prequels too? I dont see how a fan of Star Wars doesnt like what they are doing with Ep 7 and Ep 8(so far). Who knows, I could be wrong, but the trailer is just meant to get you excited for the movie, and I think it did its job. It was just a teaser anyway.

TIE Bomber- Booo, those lazy designers just changed the cockpit of the TIE Advanced! SW ruined!
TIE Interceptor- Worst design in the film ever! Life ruined! They just changed the wings of the original TIE Fighter...

NO I am not. Those were changes to an overall design that served a military or technological developmental purpose, much as there are variations in many military aircraft when they have been adapted for different strategies. They all make sense. Like the upgraded X wing in TFA which I really, really liked, and the new A wing ,which looks sleeker and faster than the old.
I just looked at that new ship and thought "who cut the wing off an X wing and thought it would be a cool craft?". What purpose does a huge wing like that serve? It doesn't carry any huge guns, missile bays ,etc. There is no obvious centre of balance for all that mass for the thrust of the engines to push against where they are , its just going to spin in a circle. On all levels this strikes me as a poor. poor attempt at making a star wars ship by hacking parts together from other iconic designs.
SO no I'm not a hypocrite. Just somebody who has built a few studio scale models from the OT and appreciates the difference between good designs and poor designs.

The last big ship design in the trailer is new???? !!!!!!!!¬

If you cut an X wings wing off, stick a falcons cabin on the front engine, that's your "new "design. It looks, like quite a few of the new ships that have been introduced , just wrong. And lazy. No elegance , no military function or structure, just clumsy as hell.

The updated A wing whose tail you can see in the exploding landing bay shot and in the blurry still above looks great ,like the new X wing did from TFA. But this obsession with over sized wings and lego brick like designs are neither a movement forward or an innovative design. The toy sales from these are going to crash to the ground like that horrible B wing brick from TFA.

I hate the trend of oversized wings and blocky designs. I also am not a fan of just rehashing all the concept art from the priginal trilogies and using them as new designs. There is a reason many of them were left behind as concept art to begin with

They were all designs based around a certain period of time. So it actually make sense to have those variants

That eyeroll emoji doesnt cut it. I havent gone through all the posts made in this thread, but have you been as vocal as you are right now since the new movies started? Are you an OT purist, or do you like the prequels too? I dont see how a fan of Star Wars doesnt like what they are doing with Ep 7 and Ep 8(so far). Who knows, I could be wrong, but the trailer is just meant to get you excited for the movie, and I think it did its job. It was just a teaser anyway.

I'm not an OT purist. I did like the PT as I felt like they were genuine expansions of the universe and lore of Star Wars. However, I've always felt that the saga ended perfectly with ROTJ. I never liked post ROTJ EU material. So way before LFL was ever sold I was not really a fan of a post ROTJ world. That being said, when they announced JJ Abrams as director of Ep7 I was cautiously optimistic as I thought he was a capable director. Little did I realize that being "capable" was literally the kiss of death to Star Wars for me. I did not like TFA much. It did nothing to expand the universe. It took a paint by numbers approach and it even managed to screw up some of the lore for me. What little I saw in this teaser unfortunately looks to keep on that path.

My biggest criticism of this post ROTJ Disneyverse is that it has completely tainted the end of ROTJ for me. That doesn't mean that everything has to be sunshine and daisies after ROTJ but the least they could've done is have a reunion of the big 3 at the beginning of TFA.

My biggest criticism of this post ROTJ Disneyverse is that it has completely tainted the end of ROTJ for me. That doesn't mean that everything has to be sunshine and daisies after ROTJ but the least they could've done is have a reunion of the big 3 at the beginning of TFA.
Foxbatkllr - being candid, I've disagreed with much of what you've said in this thread - but not on this one point. Additional films post-ROTJ would only even need to exist if there was some sort of conflict to give rise to the story. And I'm glad those films exist, even if they necessarily mean that everything post-ROTJ has to be revealed to have been less than a fairy-tale ending. But the OT was always to me, at its heart, about the camaraderie of the big 3 (an element sorely lacking in the poor chemistry of the leads in the PT) - heck, the major plot points of ESB and ROTJ revolved around the mechanics of one or more of this small group laying everything on the line to help another of the group (Han risking his life to search for Luke on Hoth, Luke leaving Dagobah to save Han and Leia, Luke and Leia going to Tatooine to save Han.)

So it was a big disappointment to me that TFA (no matter how much I liked it otherwise) chose to completely deprive us of that without even a momentary gathering of the big 3 before opening the world up to new characters.

M

Talking specifically about the trailer rather than the film itself, I did enjoy but have some mixed feelings. I understand it's a teaser and not meant to give much away, but I would have liked a bit more dynamism and showing something new. For example, we knew Rey would be training with Luke based on how TFA ended, so seeing it in the trailer felt a bit 'OK... but when does the story really start?' It's a bit too reminiscent of Luke and Yoda which we're so familiar with to make the main focus of the trailer. For me it would be better to start with '... the Jedi must end...' and go from there - more of Finn, more of Poe, more of Kylo and a couple of quick flashes of new characters. Still, who am I to say what they felt they could show, and I guess you have to start the 'journey' of the next 8 months by showing clips mainly from the beginning of the film.

On the other hand though, the trailer has done it's job and whetted my appetite for more, so fair play to them! I remember that this time two years ago we had a teaser and a theatrical (two teasers?) for TFA. Because of R1 we've had to wait longer. Still excited though!

Ok so the background voices in the Teaser...
When you see the back of Leia's head, you hear her say "Help me Obi-Wan.."
Then when you see Kylo Ren's helmet, you hear Obi-Wan say, "He was seduced by the Darkside..."
Then when you see the Tree, Yoda says something but it's much harder for me to understand. Sounds like "Train him..." but there's a second part to it that I can't pick out.

Any ideas?

I can't make out what Yoda is saying at all. Anyone else?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back