2001 USA Space Nuke

The waffle pattern bit should be recessed.

silly modeling question - how do you guys think those cut slots were made in the raised panels?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 322
As we have seen with the Aries-1B original model photographed by Gene, Andre and all, these are probably the same time of grids used for the window sills of the said model.;)

Thanks all!
Mike, I've not figured that 'jerry can' looking part yet, but it's something like that for sure.
joberg, this is just a study model in 3D to enable me to make it in reality. I've only added the greeblies I know are confirmed so far.
Jim, the waffle pattern is for sure raised, check the shadow on the right. I'm 99% sure as joberg said that it's the same material as used on the Aires windows.
I also think the ribbed pattern used on the Aries is used under the coning tower wings.
Pics enclosed:

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 8.49.51 PM.jpg11115918_10153265856398530_389790436_n.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 8.49.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 8.49.51 PM.png
    645.4 KB · Views: 282
I'm 99% sure the numbers above the US flag are these from the same Monogram P-38 kit the others come from. You can fairly clearly see the '29' in both images.
Monogram P-38 numbers.JPG

Lee, you'll find your 'jerry can' in the Honest John. Part #88, the 'elevating screw yolk'!

Same part used on the underside of the 30" Skydiver:

Copy of SDb_w03.jpg

Pic from Keith Scaife's collection.

:)

Hey all,
I checked that part and I don't think it's it. Too many differences.
I've updated the mesh again and added the decal to the rear. Now I'm wondering if I have the whole scale of the model off a little (maybe 5% to big)

USA_Nuke_3D_021.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_022.png

It looks good, the only thing that jumps out at me which I'm sure you already know is that the red bar is missing from the "Stars & Bars" emblem on the tower part. The one you are using was abandoned just after World War 2

Last edited:
Hey!
Yes I know that's missing :)
For now I'm only building either what's known or what I'm going to make.
The decal comes from the Monogram 1/48th P-48 kit (as does the S9 and numbers decal at the rear) I'm guessing they added a red bar to the decal and I'll do the same once it's built.

thanks,
L

And your measurement is derived from the known size of certain donor parts, correct?

That seems close enough to me. For all we know, the English model makers rounded certain measurements to the nearest convenient metric size... Or they made an honest mistake when building the nose, and got it slightly off.

Unless this puppy turns up at an auction somewhere (fingers crossed), I don't think anybody can call you out on it.

In your research, did you determine if anyone else has built this at studio scale?

-MJ

Mike, yes everything was based on using the know parts and decals to scale from. The largest is the Airfix bloodhound piece so I started there. I actually forgot there was a measurement on the drawing. I was only using it for the engine detail, so it's a little funny that I reached the same size :) I don't know of anyone else making one in this scale. Hopefully I'm not the last. The plans will be available and it's possible a run of laser cut parts, but that's not the objective. Don't forget the UK was still using Imperial then, so I doubt there was much metric, I also use imperial for the thickness of the panels, figured that might help a tiny bit.

L

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back