2001 USA Space Nuke

Lee, the pic of the recessed grill on the left is the same as the one on the right of your serie, just a trick from the lighting.;)

If you mean the hex shaped grill, yes, there are four for them, two on each side. I only cut out two as the left side ones are mostly in shadow.
A few pieces are the same piece but from two different photos.

P38.jpg

Just found! :) Looks like the "S9" decal comes from the Monogram 1/48 P38 kit. It appears that the star decal comes from there as well.

Decals from this sheet were also used on the Orion.

Last edited:
Well after a few false start I finally think I have the base shape down. It's simple but I want to get it as close as I can to the original. I've built some of the parts/decals that I know are 100% right in 3D and then used them to scale from. Works out about 873mm long, although I may revise that :)
USA_Nuke_3D_005.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_006.png

Good stuff Lee...yeah, the scale sounds about right. All those 2001 models were on the big side (bigatures for sure;)).

Making some steady progress....
I'll only be taking this so far as it'll be used to laser cut/mill styrene sheet (for now) :)
USA_Nuke_3D_007.png

Slowly making a little time for some progress. It's got more 'nooks and crannies' than you'd think for something with 3 seconds of screen time.
USA_Nuke_3D_008.png

Indeed and blame it on Stanley (that's my new motto while building my Space Station;))...good job btw and eager to see it built.

OK I think I'm done with the first pass on this, time to look at it from some other angles!
This is only a low res model (easier to change and overlay on the photo), I've only made the kit part details I know to be right, and the rear/engine is to be done next.
Please pick it apart and see if you spot anything in the two original photos that I might have missed.

USA_Nuke_3D_011.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_012.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_014.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_015.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_016.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_017.pngUSA_Nuke_3D_018.png

Thank you Mike!!!
That's exactly what I needed. I fresh set of eyes always spot something right in front of me :)

I did know about the strips on the nose, figured I'd do them with strips of Evergreen.

Now I have to figure out that 'C' decal, or is it a 'D'? Size wise it look very close to the numbers on the P-38 decal sheet.

L

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back