Fear and Loathing Drug Case

jollyrancher120

IMG_1537.JPG"We had two bags of grass, sevety five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocain a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, But once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

This is a project I have had in the back of my mind ever since I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
One day while doing research on zero halliburtion cases to see if i could start on this prop it was revealed to me.
A light shone from heaven and illuminated the auction for a WWII Zero Halliburton Graflex camera case.
When compared to the screen shots it seemed to be the exact type of case used in thefilm.
I then begain the exaustive search for all orignal items shown in the case during the movie.
I identified the small metal canisters as 35mm canisters. The metal can in between the two bottles of liquor was eventually identified as Rexall pharmacy epsom salt tin. After futrther review of hd screen caps the salt shaker is not accurate. This is very much a work in progress. More info on the case itself can be found here. https://sites.google.com/site/playi...s/essays/hobbies-recreations/photography/foto

Last edited:
Screw Vegas a fella could have a lotta fun anywhere with that case! ;)
Thanks Slim it is a strange love for this case.
I think I have identifed the salt shaker full of cocaine. Salt.JPG
The lid leads me to belive that it is an Anchor Hocking salt shaker.
Here is a picture of the item I think that it is. ancor hocking.jpgI am going to review the scene where he spills the cocaine to confirm it matches.

This is a great prop, you've done a great job putting it together. :cool:thumbsup I've been trying to convince my brother to dress as Duke so I can do Dr. Gonzo (as your attorney I advise you to put on this hat and these glasses ;) ) for Halloween. I think I'll start checking the luggage when I'm at the 2nd hand shops :)

I think I have identifed the salt shaker full of cocaine.
Here is a picture of the item I think that it is. View attachment 347468

you know what's funny, that's exactly the salt shaker I had growing up. I probably still have it somewhere packed away here or could be at my mom's place in NY.
Pressed glass hexagon with small and large diamond pattern. They're on evilbay and probably at a garage sale or two.

So I'm also working on this project and have so far acquired the Halliburton Case. I've found this also on an unending Ebay search. However, there are several versions of the Graflex Cases and I'm somewhat sure that the one I have is not the 100% correct one. (Although I'm willing to settle.)

Thank you for publishing your results, the Epsom Salt, the Anchor Hocking Salt shaker and the old 35mm canister are terrific finds. For your reference, here are some additional screenshots from the BlueRay version:

a) This is from the beginning of the movie, you see some of the upper part of the case.
vlcsnap-2013-10-01-16h03m05s161.pngvlcsnap-2014-12-28-15h48m02s153.pngvlcsnap-2013-10-01-16h01m47s246.png

b) and this is from the end:

vlcsnap-2013-10-01-16h03m47s169.png

c) the outside. note how the black paint is chipped and reveals the olive drab:

vlcsnap-2013-10-01-15h09m39s249.pngvlcsnap-2013-10-01-14h53m32s244.png

d) see-through:
vlcsnap-2013-10-01-15h09m53s107.png

Have fun. :)

Can't believe I missed this thread!

Great project with a ton of obscure and hard to find objects. It'll be fun to see what can be identified and what is just too generic to place.

I should have updated this post sooner. The baggie at his fingers when he inspects the quart of tequila that is wild turkey. That baggie contains corn cob holders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 505
I should have updated this post sooner. The baggie at his fingers when he inspects the quart of tequila that is wild turkey. That baggie contains corn cob holders.

Are you sure about the corn cob holders? They do look freakin identical. What else should they be? corncob.jpg

But about that tequila: Wild Turkey is a Bourbon.
However, that too matches closely at least in color scheme and such...

Are you sure those are corn cob holders?
They look like old fashioned smelling salts.
One inch long glass tubes wrapped in cotton wool, with silk mesh to hold it all together.
They might have been substituting them for the Benzedrine inhalers.

You are probably correct about the smelling salts. That's what is great about posting on RPF. It is all about the correct details. If I can't figure it out someone else knows exactly what it is.

image.jpgNow that I am over the embarrassment of my corncob smelling salts. Could anyone help me Identify these bottles. I belive two of them are bayer bottles not sure of date or specific products. Also confused about the bottle wtith a z on top.

I don't think they are smelling salts. They would be amyl nitrate.I'm pretty sure they mention them in the film too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back