New BMF coming

=DaddyfromNaboo;3343606
I think it might be my first foray into the field of painting and weathering.
Ditto! I might get one of the X-Wing and this to weather and hang from the ceiling in my office or home theater.

And there lies another question. There is no need to buy action figures. Vehicles IIRC were always meant to compliment action figures and playsets, too, if not even fueling action figure sales. This is such a stand alone toy, what scenarios are you going to play with it? The old falcon was vehicle AND playset, especially the BMF.

I think it might be my first foray into the field of painting and weathering.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of kids will use Lego figures, I know I would've. There's a wealth of SW figures in lego and any kid who's gonna be getting this will of course have Lego Star Wars sets.
Many children from my experience are keenly interested in just having 'space battles' with the ships and not the figures, I know I've looked after kids who just wanted to have space battles with my SW model collection. I have a good feeling that this toy will sell better than some might think, as long as the price is right as I mentioned before

Someone said this is 23" long. In these pictures there is no way. It looks more like 30" I t says on the box over 2 feet (60cm) I don't think 60cm is the length,
that is just the same as 2 feet and it is over that. What do you think. That would have to be a miniature person for that to be 23".

Chris

One of the reasons I said - it that is what it really looks like... To me it looks close to 2-2.5 feet based on a 8 year olds arm span in the pic. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Jedi Dade

One of the reasons I said - it that is what it really looks like... To me it looks close to 2-2.5 feet based on a 8 year olds arm span in the pic. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Based upon the box description, it says over 2 feet. So it will be over 2 feet and under 3 feet. So your guess of 2.5 feet is most likely correct. :)

The BMF box mentions over 2.5 ft long and it was 31 inches. This one says over 2ft long so I'd venture to guess its 25 inches at most. That cockpit tunnel looks good doesn't it. If I ever get back to the BMF mod this seems like excellent reference material.

I'm with Dade on this one, I know that a younger (and current.....) me would love this sort of thing as a toy, not every kid is overly fussed by play features.

Same here. My BigTrak and Starbird (neither of which open up to hold figures) got along great with my Micronauts stuff when I was a kid. That's what imagination is for! Even back then the out of scale modifications that some of today's sets have in order to accommodate action figures would have bothered me...

Mark in Okinawa

Same here. My BigTrak and Starbird (neither of which open up to hold figures) got along great with my Micronauts stuff when I was a kid. That's what imagination is for! Even back then the out of scale modifications that some of today's sets have in order to accommodate action figures would have bothered me...

When I was a kid (pretty young) for a while I didn't even make the connection that my friend's original Kenner MF was supposed to be Han Solo's ship. It was just way too small overall and the gray plastic looked too light in color.

IMO the newer BMF was a great job of compromising everything for a decent toy. Fitting the action figures, looking accurate, and staying sellable is a hell of a task. Those are three opposing demands that just don't reconcile very well for the Falcon.

I think we have to give Hasbro credit on that new BMF - they took a hit on that thing and made something on the edge of too much for the mainstream market. At least with the Falcon figuring heavily in the new trilogy they stand a better chance of recouping the investment over time.

I'd like to have a scaled-up copy of this new toy. Exactly double the 25" size would really look like the movies when posed with the action figures. Too bad there is no easy/cheap way to enlarge a mold like that.

Last edited:
When I was a kid (pretty young) for a while I didn't even make the connection that my friend's original Kenner MF was supposed to be Han Solo's ship. It was just way too small overall and the gray plastic looked too light in color.

IMO the newer BMF was a great job of compromising everything for a decent toy. Fitting the action figures, looking accurate, and staying sellable is a hell of a task. Those are three opposing demands that just don't reconcile very well for the Falcon.

I think we have to give Hasbro credit on that new BMF - they took a hit on that thing and made something on the edge of too much for the mainstream market. At least with the Falcon figuring heavily in the new trilogy they stand a better chance of recouping the investment over time.

I'd like to have a scaled-up copy of this new toy. Exactly double the 25" size would really look like the movies when posed with the action figures. Too bad there is no easy/cheap way to enlarge a mold like that.

You and I must have great minds, I was on another forum where 3D printing was being discussed and asked if this Falcon comes in 3 main pieces like the BMF, how difficult would it be to reproduce a copy in scale with the 3 inch figs to match the movie version (5 to 6 ft)?

By the way, did Hasbro lose money on the BMF? I know many were clearenced, (paid 60 dollars for mine) but that's not uncommon for toys, especially one that takes up that much shelf space. If they had lost money I wouldn't have thought they would re-release it (Vintage Collection).
(Not saying that u are wrong, by the way, just curious).

I don't know if Hasbo lost money on the new BMF or not but I get the feeling it didn't sell as well as they wanted. Too much clearance-selling for an item that expensive IMO.

As for the figures, they are something like 1:19th scale if you really get specific about it. For a Falcon prop that size . . which "full size" are we talking about? The ILM models and soundstage interior rooms would suggest a 6-foot MF toy. But the exterior mockups were badly undersized to fit on the soundstages - more like a 4.5-foot toy.

IMO just a 4.5' Falcon would already look gigantic next to the action figures in the real world. People would probably look at it and think it's too big at first glance.

So if this new toy is a little over 2 feet long then I would just double that size and call it good.

People are saying the new Falcon prop is 111 feet long, does that sound about right for a proper full sized version?

Wo.....going by the guys (& here) over at 'Full Scale Falcon Project' they work out that a proper 1:1 scale Falcon would be 114 ft,.....so I hope your rumour is true

[h=3]Final Outer Dimensions[/h]Using the DK Ultimate Collection blueprints as our guide, we have calculated the final outer dimensions of the structure. The DK blueprints use the same overall length as the Robert Brown estimate. From there, we arrive at:

• Length: 114 feet
  • Beam (docking ring to docking ring): 81.5 feet
  • Height to top of body (not counting quad-laser turret): 24.9 feet
  • Height to top of dish: 30.9 feet
  • Clearance: ground to landing gear bay level: 7.8 feet
  • Clearance: ground to outside bottom of cockpit tube: 13 feet
J

Wow, that IS interesting! It does sound full size.

In fact . . . let's google up a conversion calculator and do some math here . . .

114 feet = 34.75 meters.

The production is in England, which is metric-land. If the producers gave out a figure like "34 meters" or "over 34 meters", then the press might have just used the figure of 34 meters to do a quick conversion to feet.

34.0 meters = 111.55 feet.

Based on this I think it's possible that the new Falcon might even be 114 feet exactly. The producers would have struggled with the same MF scaling issues that everyone else does, and it certainly seems plausible that they might just use the fan-arrived figure. Diehard fans can be counted on to put more effort into this stuff than a movie crew ever has time to.

It is meant to have all the inside sets built into the full sized prop, so you can go all the way from the outside, up the ramp, into the cargo hold, and into the cockpit in one unbroken tracking shot.

Providing you don't get killed by the door on the way in.

I totally support this toy. The only questions I have is.....how many landing gear?.

Personally, if they were going to this much trouble on this toy, they should have gone for accuracy. Pick one of the ss models and go for it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back