Back to the Future Markpoon 2015 Jacket Mods

@ Jedifyfe

How did you make the pockets on the members only jacket that you made.

- - - Updated - - -

also this is marvelous_customs from instagram

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you make them (please youse detailed photos if you can)
Well I don't think I have any photos of them being made anymore but it is a fairly simple design. You start out with getting a measurement for the front face. Make that piece 3 times as long. Now with that measurement for the front make a mark so it is divided into 3 equal sections. Do not cut them apart. Use a sharp razor blade to lightly go down the 3 sections so they fold easily. You don't want them to be weak and tear apart. Then slice the two pieces on the outside, leaving the main front piece alone, into two equal halves as well with the razor blade technique. This creates the folding you see in the picture below. Fold all the pieces as if they were laying flat on the jacket and use a flexible glue on the seams where you used the razor blade on them so they dont rip over time. Permanently super glue the bottom shut so the pocket doesn't have a hole going all the way through it. Then make a back piece and glue this assembly onto it. Make a thin line with super glue on the outer edges so the pocket isn't closed up too much. The last step would be to put the red material onto the face and attach it to the jacket. I hope that is a detailed enough description. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
harper-collins-back-to-the-future-04.jpg

EDIT: I went looking for any pictures of the pockets I made and only found this.
DSC00145.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some detail on the first set of pockets I made. Since these, I have made sure the folds use a wider length of material for a better 'accordion' feature.

Hope this Helps.
Marty McFly Dallas Cosplay 20141015_011715.jpg20141015_023524.jpg20141015_011734.jpg20141015_011934.jpg20141015_024136.jpg

Well I don't think I have any photos of them being made anymore but it is a fairly simple design. You start out with getting a measurement for the front face. Make that piece 3 times as long. Now with that measurement for the front make a mark so it is divided into 3 equal sections. Do not cut them apart. Use a sharp razor blade to lightly go down the 3 sections so they fold easily. You don't want them to be weak and tear apart. Then slice the two pieces on the outside, leaving the main front piece alone, into two equal halves as well with the razor blade technique. This creates the folding you see in the picture below. Fold all the pieces as if they were laying flat on the jacket and use a flexible glue on the seams where you used the razor blade on them so they dont rip over time. Permanently super glue the bottom shut so the pocket doesn't have a hole going all the way through it. Then make a back piece and glue this assembly onto it. Make a thin line with super glue on the outer edges so the pocket isn't closed up too much. The last step would be to put the red material onto the face and attach it to the jacket. I hope that is a detailed enough description. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
http://media.vanityfair.com/photos/...imit/harper-collins-back-to-the-future-04.jpg

EDIT: I went looking for any pictures of the pockets I made and only found this.
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t444/Replicator5/Back to the Future/DSC00145.jpg

What type of foam did you use thanks for the detailed description it will really help.

Last edited:
I was doing a search for a Fresh Prince of Bel Air hat and this one came up. I couldn't resist so I bought it. I figured if/when I get one of these jackets I could have a good sample of the liner on hand to get replicated so I could add it to the jacket. It's interesting, it's a lot thinner than I imagined. It almost feels like nylon.

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6985.JPG

So it's like a rainbow fabric that gets folds put in and then it's over dyed black?

Yup, Edward H described it best in the Back to the Future II: Marty's Jacket (the holy grail of BTTF props) thread:

The fabric liner is not printed... Its actually a crushed rainbow dyed fabric that was then dyed black... The only places you can see color are inside folds and wrinkles of fabric... Its amazing... The more it moves around the more color is exposed... I would have never know this or believed it unless i had seen it in person... I looked around everywhere and asked about having it made and most places just scratched their heads and said "we dont do that kind of work"

TBH I should've posted my hat image in that thread. And in actuality someone beat me to it years ago, but I don't think they ever had the hat in hand:

I saw a hat for sale with a fabric that looks close to the interior of the jacket. It said it was a vintage 80's hat, and looks close but maybe the strips of color are two wide. I would be happy if I could track down enough of this type of fabric to make a liner.

http://i.imgur.com/H62eknOl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xu0G2Hbl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some of that fabric on ebay. It doesn't shrink to hide the colors. It's close, but not what it should be. I'm not going to use it. It's called "Black Crinkle Polyester". I found some dyed rainbow fabric.
When I have some time, I'm going to try to recreate it. s-l500.jpg

I bought some of that fabric on ebay. It doesn't shrink to hide the colors. It's close, but not what it should be. I'm not going to use it. It's called "Black Crinkle Polyester". I found some dyed rainbow fabric.
When I have some time, I'm going to try to recreate it. View attachment 759001

Gotcha, good to know. I thought that maybe the material wasn't shrinking on the hat because it was stretched out, but glad there is proof.

Gotcha, good to know. I thought that maybe the material wasn't shrinking on the hat because it was stretched out, but glad there is proof.
I also bought a hat a few years ago. It has stabilizer material to keep its shape. I thought if the fabric was separated from the stabilizer that it would shrink & hide the colors. I pulled a small section apart, & it stayed the same.

When I have some time, I'm going to try to recreate it. View attachment 759001

That is actually really close but you're right something is a bit off... Those wrinkles all run the same direction where the correct material has more random wrinkles going various directions. I actually came across 3 yards of the correct material several years ago. I found it on etsy of all places. It was a random search not expecting to find any results. The seller had been collecting vintage fabrics for 20 plus years. She said it was all she had ever seen. Here's a shot of it. You can see from the front it looks mostly black and the color is almost completely hidden. I also have one of those hats and its the exact same material. On the hats the material is sewn stretched apart revealing the color. It is a synthetic nylon / poly fabric making it tricky to recreate as it doesn't take dyes very well but can be done.

fabric.jpg

Hello MitasTouch,

Are you speaking of Mark Poon jackets? If it's him, i sent a PM and all he has to offer are moldy ripped jackets. Is there anybody else who offers jackets?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back