Back to the Future Markpoon 2015 Jacket Mods

Will the sound board set-up definitely not work using a flashing LED? I ordered 5 (in case I needed spares) online after seeing a vid on youtube where the guy listed the materials used as a 3mm flashing LED but now this thread worries me...

Will the sound board set-up definitely not work using a flashing LED? I ordered 5 (in case I needed spares) online after seeing a vid on youtube where the guy listed the materials used as a 3mm flashing LED but now this thread worries me...

I used a flashing one and it works.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1429442321400.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429442321400.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 103
I'm looking to buy a markpoon jacket, but i can't decide wether to go for my actual size, which would be a large, or go for a size closer to what MJF would have worn, a small i guess? I have a crappy jacket I can wear for fancy dress so this jacket would likely only be on display, but I can't make my mind up. People who have the jacket already, in your opinions, what size jacket looks best, or any comments to help me decide :)

I'm looking to buy a markpoon jacket, but i can't decide wether to go for my actual size, which would be a large, or go for a size closer to what MJF would have worn, a small i guess? I have a crappy jacket I can wear for fancy dress so this jacket would likely only be on display, but I can't make my mind up. People who have the jacket already, in your opinions, what size jacket looks best, or any comments to help me decide :)

I'm 5' 4" and ordered a small, but it was quite big on me. I had mine shortened quite a bit by a trusted tailor.

I got my jacket back from the tailor this week. Despite being a "small," it needed quite a bit of shortening, and I had to send it to him a second time as the arms weren't done correctly the first go round. He finally got it right though. I also had him add a couple of pockets to the inside for my replica Sports Almanac. Next step will be to finalize the electronics and get everything attached to it. :)

IMG_3873.JPGIMG_3874.JPG

I ordered my actual size which was a medium and regretted it (it's at a tailor right now), I suggest going one size down because they do run big.

I took the plunge and altered my own jacket.

Very nice! I love the idea of the velcro, do you have a pic of how you attached the other side of the velcro to the ribbing?

I spent some time over the weekend working on the sound module for my jacket. I got the switches, speaker and AAA battery pack all soldered to the sound board. I also found a tin enclosure to mount everything into, which I'll be doing once I get my hands on the screws and bolts needed to so. The board necessitates a #3 screw, which I was unable to find locally. The enclosure will reside in one of the pockets I had added to my jacket. Once the enclosure is done, I'll then be attaching the switches and LED to the jacket's acrylic panel.

IMG_3938.JPGIMG_3939.JPGIMG_3940.JPGIMG_3941.JPG

Here's a video of the updated board in action :)

https://youtu.be/ezzDLDPygog

Finally finished my jacket. I tried soldering a LED to the back of the speaker on my soundboard but ended up damaging the existing wires. So that's 2 soundboards I've damaged :(
Luckily I had a spare soundboard so I didn't bother with the LED. Maybe I should've tried wire glue to connect the LED.
Here's a video of my finished jacket:

I just need to hide the soundboard housing & wires with some black cloth. Might even make it so that it doubles as a pocket for my alamanac like jhk1976's! :D

20150706_183754_LLS.jpg
I used an empty Nintendo DS game case, (you mean you have to use your hands?!) to house the soundboard. It was ideal as it protects the delicate electronics & amplifies the sound slightly. One other modification I did was I replaced the yellow 'button' with a clear amber plastic cut from a bicycle reflector. This was from when I thought I was going to have the flashing light but it looks great anyway.
20150703_175451-1.jpg20150703_175917.jpg
Almost set for meeting Michael J Fox next week! :eek

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna be doing this to a HC jacket when I get it.

Concerning the sound.....

Is the best practice still buying the 200S sound module from ebay, loading up the sounds, and soldering an LED to the speaker leads for the flashing?

Is this board generally loud enough? Is it audible in a convention situation with noise going on?

Any tips on how to install the sound activation buttons? Do you just glue them onto the inside of the jacket?

Last edited:
Finished at Last! :D

IMG_4536.JPG

The sound effects mod is done. I finally settled on an enlosure for the Adafruit sound board. I found some 5.5" x 3.5" x 0.9" tins on Amazon with a clear plastic cover that suited my needs. It's a bit oversize, but the height gave me enough enough clearance to also place the AAA battery pack inside the enclosure, which is attached to the tin using industrial strength Velcro. The clear plastic was easily cut with an X-Acto knife, allowing me to run the wires through the enclosure to the switches, speaker and LED. The trigger switches were then epoxy glued onto a small piece of Styrene.

IMG_4469.JPGIMG_4470.JPGIMG_4471.JPGIMG_4472.JPGIMG_4473.JPG

To attach the LED to the jacket, I bored a hole in the acrylic piece with an X-Acto blade until I had an opening just right for the LED, which I placed inside a 3mm LED holder. It sits snugly in place and looks great. The switches I attached to the jacket using more industrial strength Velcro on the inside of the jacket. It's close enough to where I can place my thumb over the acrylic piece and use my fingers to trigger the sounds from the other side. I bundled together the wiring using zip ties, as I ended up with a LOT of excess cable (I wasn't certain exactly how I wanted to run the wiring when I began this project. Knowing what I know now, I would have used a lot less). The speaker is attached using, yep, industrial strength Velcro. It's a 2 watt 4 ohm speaker, and with the built-in amp on the sound board, it's pretty loud. It was originally going to go inside the enclosure, but I though it would be more easily heard down by the switches.

The enclosure and excess cable sit perfectly in the right inside pocket I had added to the jacket when I had it custom tailored. I added a strip of Velcro to the pocket to help keep it sealed shut. The left inside pocket is home to my Gray's Sports Almanac replica.

IMG_4474.JPGIMG_4505.JPGIMG_4530.JPGIMG_4533.JPGIMG_4545.JPG

Here's the final sound mod in action:

https://youtu.be/EhgnAqp8Bec

Thank you to everyone in these forums for your guidance. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. :)

Last edited:
hi jhk1976,

your bttf2 jacket looks great :thumbsup

Finished at Last! :D

View attachment 503381

The sound effects mod is done. I finally settled on an enlosure for the Adafruit sound board. I found some 5.5" x 3.5" x 0.9" tins on Amazon with a clear plastic cover that suited my needs. It's a bit oversize, but the height gave me enough enough clearance to also place the AAA battery pack inside the enclosure, which is attached to the tin using industrial strength Velcro. The clear plastic was easily cut with an X-Acto knife, allowing me to run the wires through the enclosure to the switches, speaker and LED. The trigger switches were then epoxy glued onto a small piece of Styrene.

View attachment 503376View attachment 503377View attachment 503378View attachment 503379View attachment 503380

To attach the LED to the jacket, I bored a hole in the acrylic piece with an X-Acto blade until I had an opening just right for the LED, which I placed inside a 3mm LED holder. It sits snugly in place and looks great. The switches I attached to the jacket using more industrial strength Velcro on the inside of the jacket. It's close enough to where I can place my thumb over the acrylic piece and use my fingers to trigger the sounds from the other side. I bundled together the wiring using zip ties, as I ended up with a LOT of excess cable (I wasn't certain exactly how I wanted to run the wiring when I began this project. Knowing what I know now, I would have used a lot less). The speaker is attached using, yep, industrial strength Velcro. It's a 2 watt 4 ohm speaker, and with the built-in amp on the sound board, it's pretty loud. It was originally going to go inside the enclosure, but I though it would be more easily heard down by the switches.

The enclosure and excess cable sit perfectly in the right inside pocket I had added to the jacket when I had it custom tailored. I added a strip of Velcro to the pocket to help keep it sealed shut. The left inside pocket is home to my Gray's Sports Almanac replica.

View attachment 503386View attachment 503387View attachment 503388View attachment 503389View attachment 503390

Here's the final sound mod in action:

https://youtu.be/EhgnAqp8Bec

Thank you to everyone in these forums for your guidance. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. :)

For the sound chip, I would recommend a board that can have the sounds loaded via USB, and not the record with a mic type. Like this one:

200S USB MP3 with 5 Buttons Device Voice Music Sound Music Record Recorder | eBay

I've uploaded the sounds here: https://www.mediafire.com/?137vnaqbzyglb7e

I cleaned hem up a bit to remove as much background noise as possible, such as Marty pattn himself down durin the drying clip.

I figure this would e the ideal setup, just not sure how to go about it. Brad, how did yo wire the LED to the sound module?

View attachment 338556

I bought that sound module, and tried your files.

I followed the directions they gave, got the right program version for my module. Made sure to remove the battery tab.

I qeued up all 5 files, didn't change any settings, tried to write, it keeps saying "convert audio file fail".

Somehow the short beep made it onto the module, the other 4 buttons just send out a short flat tone. I can't seem to solve the issue.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back