BANDAI Gets Star Wars Licence

Very exciting stuff, wonder what the price range and quality will be like. Anything to compare with Finemolds would be great, I for one would love to see more high-end models reach the market

- - - Updated - - -

Wait I hadn't realised that Finemolds are discontinuing their SW line!! Those kits are going to skyrocket in price if that's the case......what a bummer :unsure

Very exciting! Can't wait to see them bring their considerable talents to bear on SW kits. Sad to see FM lose it, though. They really upped the quality of SW models.

-MJ

I can't get excited about yet another company getting the license, but only putting out X-Wings and TIEs. WTH is the Blockade Runner, TIE Bomber, A-Wing, B-Wing, etc.? Yeah I know, give them time, but is there anyone around that hasn't built 10 each of X-Wings and TIE Fighters?!

I can't get excited about yet another company getting the license, but only putting out X-Wings and TIEs. WTH is the Blockade Runner, TIE Bomber, A-Wing, B-Wing, etc.? Yeah I know, give them time, but is there anyone around that hasn't built 10 each of X-Wings and TIE Fighters?!
I'm right there with you. I'm hoping Bandai will produce the kits Fine Molds didn't, and that they won't simplify whatever they produce in an effort to make them "kid friendly"; I suppose time will tell.

A 3 foot plastic Star Destroyer!

76.jpg75.jpg

That one is going to take a lot of glue! A lot of shortcuts, but it is going to be a relatively mass produced plastic kit, not a limited run resin kit mastered by hand.

I don' think the Star Destroyer is a kit. I think it's a conversation starter - you guys really think they'd do a three foot Star Destroyer in styrene, especially out of the gate?

It's designed to get people really excited and buy the smaller stuff to "encourage" the company.

View attachment 337887

What do the experts think of this beauty?

After a closer look, well it's off.

There's no doubt they tried to reproduce the ESB Star Destroyer. The detailling is not that bad, not spot on of course, considering it's a mass produced kit, it's very convaincing from a distance, the greeblies do the trick pretty well ! (better than the greeblies do on the original ANH ISD lol).

The biggest concerns are the shape and proportion issues (only looking at the back of the model from this picture).

The neck is way off. the 90° edge is way too tall and this edge to the superstructures, this is way too long. You can notice that the hangar ceiling should line up with the roof of the first superstructures level.

There should be a roof extension to the rear of the most outward superstructures.

The gun platform is wrong. The whole thing is angled, not just the place where the guns are.

The two raised stripes running parallel to the hull leading edge dont exist.

The engine area is a mess !

The angled walls should meet the hull more or less at the line which crosses the kind of actuators (which are way too long).

The outward angled boxes are off.

The details I shaded in blue should be glued to the back wall (rear buklhead) and not on a kind of box (one of those details on the Bandai model is a suspension part from the Leopold, funny as hell ! :p).

The main engine bells are missing their ring.

Those are just the most obvious one and I'm not talking about the detailing wich is another problem but we cant blame them for that, but for the overall shape... well, we can ! :D

This is REALLY exciting. Bandai is not afraid to go for LARGE kits. Look at their 1/500 Yamato stuff... If the SW stuff is in the same ballpark as far as quality and accuracy goers 0- I can see a TON of my cash headed that way...

3ft SD out of the gate - maybe not - and that display one has a lot of faults to correct - and looks like it was put together in 10 minutes... But they fact they put it out there... AWESOME :D
I'm looking forward to it for sure.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back