Wonder Woman

JLA, WW, and Flash/GL movie in the same year?

1620742673_532dd66d_mind_blown_xlarge1.jpg

They ether are trying something new i.e. just dump it all out at once or they're desperate as hell to catch Marvel.

God be with them,we could be in for the best few years of comic movies or this is gonna be the worst in cinematic history.....

DC needs to stop making announcements and concentrate on making the stories. It seems they feel it's necessary to seed the public interest and ride a wave of hype to a big opening night. That dated formula is shortsighted and just makes DC seem desperate. I think it would be much better if they worked in silence without timed "leaks" and announcements until a film is well into post-production. DC doesn't need to pre-hype their mythos and they should exploit that ... if they were clever.

The smart move would be to build the DC Universe in such a way that it doesn't seem like they're copying Marvel.
If they're planning a series of films that introduce new characters through the next Superman or Batman movie that might be interesting. That approach would also abbreviate the obligatory origin backstory to a subplot of an established franchise instead of doing an origin movie that might flop (and even setting them back e.g. Green Lantern).

Regardless of the approach, consistent and solid serial writing is paramount. That's a skill DC/Warner needs to cultivate...

Last edited:
I have so many conflicting emotions over this announcement...

On the one hand, there's the part of me that's waited DECADES to see Diana on the big screen that's jumping up and down, dancing a jig, and screaming "HOLY FRAK, WE'RE GETTING A WONDER WOMAN MOVIE!"

On the other hand, there's the part of me that realizes that DC doesn't have the slightest idea what to actually DO with WW, as evinced by their decision to throw out the classic backstory that made her different and unique (and emphasized the relationship of mother and daughter) in favor of the "she's one of Zeus's billion-and-one bastards" New 52 background.

The long and short of it is that I hope this actually gets Marvel off their asses so they'll actually put out a Ms Marvel or She-Hulk movie... and in the end, it's going to take something truly heinous to keep me away because HOLY FRAK, WE'RE GETTING A WONDER WOMAN MOVIE!!!

Be careful what you wish for....remember the TV show pilot that killed the series order :)

That had more to do with casting choice (seriously? Adrienne Palicki didn't even try to bulk up for the role! At least Gal Gadot is putting some effort into it), a terrible script (I watched the unaired pilot and... ugh), and a Wonder Woman costume that looked like they got it out of the discount bin of an adult video store. It's like they only did the pilot to finally say that they did it, but put more effort into ordering lunch than making the show.

She is a poor casting choice in my view so already out of the gate I am disappointed. Maybe they dump her by then though.
The character has to be handled exceptionally
well to work by those that "get it." The 2009 animated DVD film for instance.
It could totally have mass appeal though and I could hate it just like 89 Batman. The world cheered and I said... WTF? That is NOT The Batman!.

She is a poor casting choice in my view so already out of the gate I am disappointed.

Agreed. She's already proven to be a nothing actor. She's just another hot chick who gets supporting parts that don't require much because they don't have it to give. The supers movies that worked are the ones with real actors in the roles. A female super, even one as eternally popular as WW, is going to be a hard sell at the box office without an anchor star. Also, by 2017 supers movies will be very old hat. I wish them luck.

Well i havent seen her in the WW role so i cant judge on how she will do or if she is a poor casting choice for that matter. Ill leave that till i have actually seen her in the role...

Im just glad that WW will finally appear on the big screen.

She is a poor casting choice in my view so already out of the gate I am disappointed.

Agreed. She's already proven to be a nothing actor. She's just another hot chick who gets supporting parts that don't require much because they don't have it to give. The supers movies that worked are the ones with real actors in the roles. A female super, even one as eternally popular as WW, is going to be a hard sell at the box office without an anchor star. Also, by 2017 supers movies will be very old hat. I wish them luck.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Gal Gadot in the role.

The issue that a lot of people seem to have is that they automatically write off a casting choice because of the person's lack of acting repertoire. Gal Gadot is no exception to this. You guys are writing her off because she had "supporting parts that don't require much because they don't have it to give." You do realize that you are referring to the Fast & Furious franchise, which we all know is not exactly a hallmark of thespian greatness. The whole purpose of the F&F films is to show fast cars, fight scenes, daring heists, and lots of property damage. Hell, Michael Bay might as well be directing. Acting is absolutely secondary or even tertiary to the screen candy. You watch the movies to see Vin Diesel fight The Rock. You watch it to see people blow stuff up. You watch it to see cars hitting 170mph. If you want acting, go watch A Beautiful Mind.

Sorry for the rant. The ultimate message behind the rant is that it's not that Gal Gadot can't act. It's that her biggest role was nothing but glorified eye candy with a few lines thrown in during a movie where the main cast can phone it in and it'll work for the movie.

Give her a chance, folks.

I'm very optimistic about this. I love Wonder Woman and a very happy she is getting her own movie. They have decades worth of stories and mythology to pull from, so its on the filmmakers to make this work. The animated movie from a few years back was fantastic, and proof that Wonder Woman can be done well.

Seems to me they are really heavily counting chickens before they are hatched with these
film announcements. Batfleck vs whatever has to be a major hit first.

On the other hand, there's the part of me that realizes that DC doesn't have the slightest idea what to actually DO with WW, as evinced by their decision to throw out the classic backstory that made her different and unique (and emphasized the relationship of mother and daughter)

Correction. Mothers and daughter. :)

ourdaughter_zpsad7a792b.jpg

Believe me, I'll be very happy to be wrong, but you're above statement is based on what exactly?

Based on watching the F&F movies... They are terribly scripted and even the headlining actors don't really have to do much acting at all. There's no complexity to the characters. Everyone seems one-dimensional.

I'm not saying that Gal Gadot is a great actress, nor am I saying that she's a bad actress. I'm saying that given that her two major Hollywood roles were in the F&F franchise (crap, one-dimensional characters even amongst the headliners) and a small role in Knight and Day (a Tom Cruise crap-fest movie), it's safe to say that she hasn't exactly been able to showcase her acting capabilities at all.

My wariness isn't over anyone cast at this point, it's the fact that none of it seems to have been planned or in the works. All outward appearances are that marvel nailed the formula and that DC is trying to copy it to cash in while they can. May not prove to be true, or it could be true and they could pull it off. Those just aren't the first two likely outcomes that pop into mind. Then, you announce like 10 flicks at once, before you have established anything. Then add the fact they're apparently basing them on the 'new 52' stuff and not what 95% of the world actually knows.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back