Shazam! (Post-release)

What did you think of Shazam!?

• Total voters
Obviously, they're padding Levi - but, the guy did bust his butt getting into shape for the role. He doesn't seem to have bulked up the same way Cavill or Affleck did - but, the guy did add some real muscle. I think some of the issue is the bright red outfit... the padding is just much more apparent.,, but, I think he might've benefited a little more from both a better costume and from whomever did training for the other actors (and adding some bulk to fill it out better).

Captain Marvel is one of my all time faves - I'm hoping that by the end of this one, we get something a little more worthy than the all jokes and giggles of the trailer.

His body is huge but he has no traps and a really narrow head. Look at captain marvel in that pic, he has almost a powerlifter body. It looks ridiculous. Props to him for gaining muscle, but I just dont think he is right for the part. DC's casting people have some work to do. Sometimes they get it right(Cavil, Aquaman) but they mostly get it wrong (everyone else)

His body is huge but he has no traps and a really narrow head. Look at captain marvel in that pic, he has almost a powerlifter body. It looks ridiculous. Props to him for gaining muscle, but I just dont think he is right for the part. DC's casting people have some work to do. Sometimes they get it right(Cavil, Aquaman) but they mostly get it wrong (everyone else)

I'm biased as I'm a huge fan of Chuck, but I think they really needed someone like a Zach Levi to pull the part off since it is essentially Big meets Superman. Chris Pratt probably would have worked as well... but I think he's otherwise busy ;)

Levi has the eyebrows for the part - but, little else.

I'll also disagree with DC's casting - I think Affleck and Gadot were pretty darn amazing. The rest has been pretty 'meh' for me. I think Levi has potential to grow into role and I certainly can see why they cast him, I'm just not completely sure it panned out exactly how they hoped.

Levi has the eyebrows for the part - but, little else.

I'll also disagree with DC's casting - I think Affleck and Gadot were pretty darn amazing. The rest has been pretty 'meh' for me. I think Levi has potential to grow into role and I certainly can see why they cast him, I'm just not completely sure it panned out exactly how they hoped.
Affleck wasnt as bad as I thought, he was just in crappy movies. I really did like his suit, and thought he definitely looked the part. I thought Gadot was very weak in the casting of wonder woman. She doesnt look like an amazonian when she is suited up, she looks like a teenager cosplaying as wonder woman. Just my opinion though. I really wish they would have got Gina Carano or Adrienne Palecki, now those are women. :love

Never read a Shazam comic, the trailer looks like it could be fun. If they carried the film similarly to Kickass (grounded in narration around the lead, but overall a bit silly), they could do quite well.
A certain departure from the tone of the rest of DC's output, which is peculiar.

A great concept but the trailer looks cheesy to me, especially the suit. I was hoping Mark Millar would get Superior made before DC got to Shazam. I doubt that will happen now. :behave

Affleck wasnt as bad as I thought, he was just in crappy movies. I really did like his suit, and thought he definitely looked the part. I thought Gadot was very weak in the casting of wonder woman. She doesnt look like an amazonian when she is suited up, she looks like a teenager cosplaying as wonder woman. Just my opinion though. I really wish they would have got Gina Carano or Adrienne Palecki, now those are women. :love

Have you ever actually seen Gina Carano in a movie? She’s an AWFUL actress...and that’s being EXTREMELY generous.

The only time she’s even passable is when she has no spoken lines at all.

Palecki would have been an interesting choice...but I believe they hit a homerun with Gadot in the role, personally.

Last edited:
Have you ever actually seen Gina Carano in a movie? She’s an AWFUL actress...and that’s being EXTREMELY generous.

The only time she’s even passable is when she has no spoken lines at all.

Palecki would have been an interesting choice...but I believe they hit a homerun with Gadot in the role, personally.
Meh, Wonder Women isnt exactly shakesperian here though. Wonder Woman is kind of the female thor, with that fish out of water kind of attitude. I think Gina could play that aloofness well. She definitely looks the part thats for sure. I mean, Gadot didnt really do too much acting, she was either looking perplexed, or stared "fiercely" into the camera. Or hell, maybe even a no namer would have done better. They didnt even give her blue contacts.

DC's been so close but not quite in so many cases. Either the right actor for the wrong role, or the right actor for the right role and then they get rid of them. Bradon Routh made a better Clark/Kal-El than Henry Cavill -- but I can totally see Henry as Captain Marvel. Back in the day, I couldn't figure out why they hadn't cast Michael Keaton as the Joker -- or even the Riddler -- instead of Batman. Especially considering this came out just a few years later, which I felt was pretty much the Bruce Wayne/Batman we should have had:

11.jpgpREc2MJ.png

And while I think Gal Gadot would make the best Selina Kyle anyone could ever hope for, I still feel she's wrong as the character she was cast as. Meanwhile, some years back, now, Disney showed us an actress I still feel would be perfect as Wonder Woman (first 1:32 of the video):

dejah-armor-6.png

I like Zack Levi and think he'd be great as several DC characters -- just not this one. :unsure

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, Wonder Women isnt exactly shakesperian here though. Wonder Woman is kind of the female thor, with that fish out of water kind of attitude. I think Gina could play that aloofness well. She definitely looks the part thats for sure. I mean, Gadot didnt really do too much acting, she was either looking perplexed, or stared "fiercely" into the camera. Or hell, maybe even a no namer would have done better. They didnt even give her blue contacts.

We’ll have to agree to disagree, because honestly, Carano can’t play...err...anything at all “well.” She has the acting skills of a cardboard cutout. Listening to any lines she has is like listening to a film student at a first reading of a script.

So while Wonder Woman may not be Shakespearean, it’s also not 7th grade drama class level, either...and that’s about as much credit as I’d give Carano’s ability to effectively portray a character.

For the record, I hadn’t realized how much I disliked her ability as an actress until this thread. :lol

We’ll have to agree to disagree, because honestly, Carano can’t play...err...anything at all “well.” She has the acting skills of a cardboard cutout. Listening to any lines she has is like listening to a film student at a first reading of a script.

So while Wonder Woman may not be Shakespearean, it’s also not 7th grade drama class level, either...and that’s about as much credit as I’d give Carano’s ability to effectively portray a character.

For the record, I hadn’t realized how much I disliked her ability as an actress until this thread. :lol
Jeez I noticed lol! I guess Im fed up with DC movies so I would rather have someone look the part and not be able to act that well, vs someone that doesnt look the part or act well. Inquistor Peregrinus pointed out some very good calls on casting, especially with Brandon Routh and the Henry Cavill roles. Gadot would make an amazing Selina Kyle, a helluva lot better than Wonder Woman. Damn. IP you should work at DC!

Thanks, Snikt -- Not sure what would be a better place for me, though, DC or WB. It can be argued most of the problems have come from the movie studio end... But at the same time, I don't know if someone with a stronger vision of the characters and setting from DC would be able to finesse around their bad initial calls to get an eventual good end product. One thing I've seen is that WB seem to keep taking exactly the wrong lessons from Marvel's successes and their own... less-than-successes.

But I do like to think I do get the characters and their interrelationship(s) with their environment(s) a helluva lot better than anyone currently calling the shots at WB. And I'd give Supergirl a variation on a Kryptonian bodysuit, same as her cousin -- and the less said about clones the happier I'd be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't stand for anyone but Morena Baccarin as Selina Kyle, Deadpool be damned!

I think Gal was surprisingly endearing in WW and that the movie was better than I expected, mostly on the charisma of Pine and the likeability of Gal. I didn't care for her in BvS or JL, but I also don't like those movies at all. I'm optimistic about Shazam though because it looks like they're actually trying to have FUN! and make an enjoyable movie.

(Sorry for all the WW stuff I thought I was in the WW84 thread until halfway through my post)

Saw the trailer yestrrday in front of Aquaman. Not really convinced. Kind of campy.

And guess what, right after the trailer they showd the latest Captain Marvel trailer. Hah!

I've read Shazam comics since I was two. They have always been written tongue in cheek. From time to time it would get more "heroic" but it's always been campy. Don't believe me? Look at this line up:

Hoppy the Marvel bunny
Grandpa Marvel
Dr. Sivanah, Cap's arch enemy. Have you SEEN this buck toothed fool?
Mr. Mind. A villain that was a wom. A WORM!
Captain Marvel junior. This idiot can't even introduce himself! In order for HIM to transform, he doesn't say SHAZAM, he has to say Captain Marvel!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back