blank firing guns in resin build ups... anyone do this?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
my friend posed an interesting question for me today, and i honestly had no idea.

he was wondering if anyone here had made a build up (like the han solo blaster or the timecop gun), but had used a blank firing pistol as the base of it.

i know some functional han blasters are out there based on actual broomhandles, and i know there are a few airsoft ones as well.

as far as blank firing.. no idea.

so.. anyone here build a kit around a blank firing pistol? if so, does it hold up well, what sort of glue attaches it to the pistol, etc.

thanks
chris

a few guys are working on Mal pistols from Firefly. someone is using a .22 blank firing gun as a base. can't remember who, though. just use the search engine if you're interested, i guess

Years ago I bought a broomhandle mauser at the hobby shop that was a blank firing pistol. It was a japanese kit that is no longer available and I think they took it off the market a short time after I bought the one I had. It had a plastic housing, metal clip, brass bullets that you could install caps into and metal firing mech. They were called blowback guns because the design of the cartridge in combination with the cap would casuse the bolt to slid back, the shell to eject and the next round to load without a loud bang. I took one of these and of course turned it into han solos blaster. It worked out ok but still looked plastic. as for guns that fire acutual blanks being converted, they dont make blank firing guns that are replicas of classic guns that I know of. If you are a die hard you can buy a real mauser and convert it to blank fireing, however unless you are a gun smith I strongly recomend that you dont attempt this. I believe you still have to register it with the feds and have a permit to own the weapon.

Hope this helps

minieffects

Last edited by a moderator:
the han blaster was just an example :)

i wouldnt mind seeing someone take a taurus and making a timecop that went "boom boom" :D

chris

wouldnt mind seeing someone take a taurus and making a timecop that went "boom boom" :D [/b]

Actually held that gun, did some repairs on it for production. Pretty simple design, machine parts bolted onto a real gun.

minieffects

Here's a fairly graphic demonstration of "Build a blankfirer into a resin prop gun by all means, just dont shoot it"

Aftermath:
[attachmentid=12886]

That's a Resin BSG (new series) built around a .38 blank firer after one round - it exploded..

Shame I didn't video it for a better demonstartion.

SAS

[No prop builders were harmed during this feature]

The problem with blank revolvers is that the entire blast is forced out between the cylinder and barrel as the barrel is plugged. Almost all the "clamshell" designs have vent holes machined in them to vent the blast...I do not suggest anyone actually fire an unmodified blank gun with any resin kit. Screen used guns are made of machined aluminum or derlin and are made by experienced armorers who know what kind of stresses the prop guns are to undergo.

Furthermore the screen used guns out there are real revolvers, so the blast is focused out the barrel... but on all revolvers, (save a few- like the Nagant) a portion of the blast escapes the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. That's way even the hero guns have vent holes in that area.

On the I robot gun you can see the vent holes just above the trigger...these holes appear on the top and bottom of that protrusion as well.
sd%20ibot401.jpg

On the Riddick Merc pistol you can clearly see the vent holes.
Hero11.jpg

Sidewinder...contact me...

sidewinder... YOUCH. i remember the buildup thread you had with that. i guess it didnt turn out that great...

matsuo, any ideas on if something like a timecop gun would hold up to the stress? it doesnt look like the resin parts would cover any sort of venting on the gun.

just curious why more automatics arent used for these. seems like a smart thing to do, but i guess finding out where to eject the shell would be problematic.

chris

It was actually this thread that made me think of trying a round in it - so strictly its your fault Hydin that I blew my blaster up. ;)

Anyway, I have all the bits and am pretty confident I can repair it so its not all bad news :)

I'd guess autos aren't used more because of the ejection as you say and the moving slide.

SAS

HereÂ’s a set of original prop machined parts bolted unto a blank-firing Beretta.
Works fineÂ…..goes KA-BOOM............ VERY loud...
Ed-209

Timecop_Beretta001a.jpg

Timecop_Beretta002a.JPG

Timecop_Beretta003a.JPG

Hydin, I dont suggest putting a plain resin add on kit on an auto slide and expect it not to fly apart.
IF I were to try something llike that I would make a fiberglass or metal insert to put in the mold for the resin to flow around and grab on to, still I don't know how well it would hold up.

Sticking a revolver in a shell keeps you from having to design allowances in your sci-fi gun design for a reciprocating slide. However you are then limited to however many rounds the revolver holds before you have to cut the scene to swap out guns. I'm told there were about 10 hero guns on the I robot set that they swapped out between takes to take apart and reload.

Another thing is the ejecting shells...from laser blasters...LOL How many of us freeze framed through scenes in the SW-OT to catch shells flying out of sterlings. :D

The thing with those blank only autos, (which annoys me to no end) is that the "blast port" is on top of the slide you have to make allowances for this if you design a sci fi dress up kit.

One of the few "muzzle blast" guns out there is a P99 with a nifty barrel plug that still allows for escaping gasses and flame to come out where it's supposed to, but that gun is pretty expensive.

M

nah, this wasnt for a "plink" shooter where he gets to build it up and then blow it to smithereens later by shooting it.

he just wanted something a little more "realistic" than an airsoft, and honestly a little less expensive.

plus, i think if he ever wants to remove the pieces, he can still sell the gun as a blank firing gun.

although, looking at eds buildup... that is one sweet timecop piece :)

chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back