The Black Pearl Wooden Model Kit

Thanks fo the comments.

Still waiting for some of the items to arrive for the lights, so I decided to add some balsa wood to the sides to "fatten" the hull, worked on getting the three (3) lanterns ready for the lights as well as marking up where the windows will go for the wheel house.

Speaking of which, if it's a double planked hull kit, it's worth using balsa planking for the inner layers - it's much easier to get the hull fair for the second set of strakes.
-Matt

Here's some paint references for the lanterns, whales and Poseidon sculptures. They were all painted a with a verdigris green weathering - like weathered brass/bronze. There are several shades of green, brown and even some off-white. Then there are little specks of brass/gold showing through as well.

Here's some photos of an original lantern.
Lantern1.jpeg
Lantern2.jpeg

Yours is looking great!

Speaking of which, if it's a double planked hull kit, it's worth using balsa planking for the inner layers - it's much easier to get the hull fair for the second set of strakes.
-Matt

I've got all the materials supplied with the kit, but if I run out I will keep that in mind, Thanks for the tip.

Here's some paint references for the lanterns, whales and Poseidon sculptures. They were all painted a with a verdigris green weathering - like weathered brass/bronze. There are several shades of green, brown and even some off-white. Then there are little specks of brass/gold showing through as well.

Will be painting the lanterns and decorative piece on the weekend. Those reference pics came in handy.

Glad I could help!

I'm living vicariously through your build. I started building a model of the Pearl several years ago, but stalled out before planking the frame. My plan was (and still is) to build it as a radio controlled sailing model. I've been wrestling with how to seal the planked hull so it's watertight. You are giving me inspiration to get back to it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Finished the decrorative piece and added the lights, the only real drama I had was waiting for the paint to dry.

Started of with just a Black primer(XF-1).

20140816_092806.jpg

Dark Copper(XF-28) was used for the base coat, with a light coat of Light Sea Grey(XF-25) sprayed over the top, With a heavy dry brush of RLM Grey(XF-22), then some lighter coats of Sky(XF-21) followed by some coats of Light Blue(XF-23), then the first layer of highlights was a mix of Light Blue and White, then with a wash of Burnt Sienna.

20140816_120011.jpg 20140816_123304.jpg 20140816_125850.jpg 20140816_143309.jpg

With its final highlight and the installation of the leds. I find it easier to pre-solder the wire and led separately, then join them with heat, rather than try and solder every thing in the one go.

20140816_152634.jpg

With the lanterns glued on, I used baking paper for the inside of the lanterns glued in with PVA glue. And with power turned on. The leds flicker like candles I will try upload a small video.

20140816_153059.jpg 20140816_153241.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments.

I have wired up the lights, just got the cabin lights to go, not in a hurry for those as it gets put on after the planking.

Adding a bit of detail to the lower deck (as there is none in the kit), I have already scratch built another grating and disguising the battery case as a large crate, also ordered a mix of barrels from the internet. Currently scratch building some crates from Balsa wood, got some Putty to sculpt some sand bags and trying to figure out how to make some hammocks, any ideas are welcome.

Also rebuilt the main cabin door (forgot to take pics of the process) the one supplied with the kit is just a rectangle with four (4) borders in it. The proper door only has three, which I just used thin strips of styrene and the top of the door is curved. You may be able to see in one of the pics.

20140828_085703.jpg 20140828_085739.jpg 20140828_085809.jpg 20140828_085820.jpg

20140828_085833.jpg 20140828_085840.jpg 20140828_085917.jpg 20140828_085954.jpg

20140828_085940.jpg 20140828_090002.jpg

I've have changed power sources from a 9V Battery to a 12V 23A Battery, I bought it of the net (my local shop does not stock them) nearly a month now and I am still waiting for the part, I cant proceed with anything else until this step has been completed.

having just finished the Zvezda model, i am totally blown away by your project. what attention to detail. i would humbly suggest you build an extra rum locker to ensure the Captain is always well supplied.

Thanks fo the comments,

My items arrived in the mail yesterday so I will get some updates up as soon as I can.

having just finished the Zvezda model, i am totally blown away by your project. what attention to detail. i would humbly suggest you build an extra rum locker to ensure the Captain is always well supplied.

Did you happen to have a link to your build. I have got extra rum barrels for such an occasion.

HA! Here is link -- my build starts somewhere around page 4 or 5 i think -- last page has pics of the almost finished model.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-72-black-pearl-kit-zvezda-116467/

i took great liberties with the rigging, so don't look too close...if i had not chosen to cheat on the rigging, i fear the model would have sat unfinished in the basement forever.

wish i had the skills and patience to attempt what you are building -- truly spectacular!

i took great liberties with the rigging, so don't look too close...if i had not chosen to cheat on the rigging, i fear the model would have sat unfinished in the basement forever.

Looks Good. I am trying to find a way to put holes/tear in the sails so that it looks right.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back