The Black Pearl Wooden Model Kit

Is this from a weekly magazine series? If so this has just been released in Australia.

No, See previous posts. Wouldn't want to get one from a magazine anyway, the time frame is too long (prefer having all the parts for my kits at once) and they are way over priced. But would like to see a completed one non the less.

I'm something of a knot geek, and I think you might find a book called The Marlinspike Sailor beneficial when it comes to your rigging details. Also, are you cleaning the burned resin off of the laser cut parts before glue up?

I'm something of a knot geek, and I think you might find a book called The Marlinspike Sailor beneficial when it comes to your rigging details. Also, are you cleaning the burned resin off of the laser cut parts before glue up?

Thanks for the info about the book. I do go over my parts with a bit of sand paper. I do mean model kit parts.

Started preparing a few things that were needed for the lower deck before painting, glueing up the cannon carriages and the "barbettes" as they are called in the plans. Thought I would make and glue in a floor made out of mdf for the barbettes, just incase when the model is finished and the glue becomes unstuck latter down the track, don't want a cannon rattling about the inside.

Started the painting for the lower deck as well. There was no real methodology involved, I mixed my paint slightly thicker than a wash (thinned down with Tamiya X-20A thinner) just so that it would absorb into the wood a bit better. I started with shooting down a few coats of Flat Black (Tamiya XF-1), then a few light coats of Dark Grey (XF-24), highlighting with a Neutral Grey (XF-53), then highlighted with Buff (XF-57).

20140719_085600.jpg 20140716_152639.jpg

20140719_124705.jpg 20140719_124823.jpg

20140719_124800.jpg 20140719_124722.jpg

20140719_124731.jpg

Ater the paint was dry, I mixed up a pastel wash of brown and black crossed my fingers and started with the wash. It worked well, instead of soaking the deck I gave a few light coats of the wash which soaked into the wood for a nice subtle effect. I then seeled off with my matt spray. For the larger areas where it is just black, I just used some black spray paint.

Still unsure whether to light this or not so I'm not sure if I should add more detail or extra cargo to the lower deck, don't know if you would see with out the lights.

20140719_115157.jpg 20140719_132712.jpg

20140719_132721.jpg 20140719_140217.jpg

20140719_140226.jpg 20140719_141928.jpg

I've decided to put some lights into this project, so I've worked out what I need and consulted trusty ebay, just waiting for delivery now. But in the process and looking over and over my reference photo's I have stumbled across a a few mistakes on the actual kit compared to the one in the movies.

In the movie model, the back of the hull is convex but the modelkit is concave. So I scanned my parts list and using a drawing package on my computer, done some editing, printed out a template and transfered it to the model, then cut out with the dremmel and sanded it to the correct profile.

BlackPearl pirateship miniature rear.jpg

20140723_150717.jpg 20140723_150820.jpg 20140724_114924.jpg

The second thing I noticed isn't really a mistake, more of lack of detail. In the movie, on the main deck where the door leads to the Captains cabin there is two statues next to those there are windows, not on the kit, so all I have to do is cut some holes and make some window frames. Haven't got that far yet.

Thats a pretty good correction. The Pearl's stern actually bulges out a tad above the waterline and has a little fatter curve as it tucks under toward the keel.
Here's a couple photos:
Black Pearl Photos 015.jpg
Black Pearl Photos 005.jpg
Sorry they came through sideways.
And here's a picture of the captain's cabin entrance.
Black Pearl Photos 050.jpg
…and another
Black Pearl Photos 398.jpg

Let me know if there are other areas that you need reference of and I'll see what I've got.

Forgot to mention: The maidens on either side of the captains door are the same as the ones that are underneath supporting the captains cabin on the stern. They've just been sanded flat on the back and have new pedestals.

Thanks Duncanator, I may definately need some more reference pics for later down the track. I aslo noticed that the movie model's hull bulges a little bit more, i think some sanding in the correct place may just give the appearance of a fatter hull.

Theyr'e good photo's of the Captain's entrance, I only thought there was one window either side.

I especially like the cannon under the stairs. Nothing like a big boom outside one's bedroom!

Don't get too worried about the rigging. It's actually pretty simple and redundant. Each sail has its own set of lines, so you end up with duplicate sets of lines on each mast.
Sailing ship design can be pretty organized once you get your head around it.

We hired some actual shipwrights to consult and assist on the building of the model ships for Pirates. We all ended up learning a lot about old sailing vessels and terminology.

Black Pearl Photos 390.jpg
Here's an angle of the Pearl you don't see often! We were gluing on barnacles that day.

Cool photo, I've ben wondering about how to add barnacles, been thinking about a mixture of static grass, filler and white glue, I will have to do some tests.

I am a bit apprehensive of the rigging, trying not to think about it too much just yet.

At this scale your barnacles would be pretty small. You could use ground walnut shells to create the texture. The Pearl filming model was built at 1/6th scale (a person would be about 12" tall - GI Joe scale!) and the barnacles we used were only about 1/4 of an inch. Even model railroad ballast could work at your scale. Glue them in lines along the waterline and then randomly on the bottom.

A little research on the rigging will make it less overwhelming. When you look at all of it, it just looks crazy-busy. Once you understand that each sail and spar has only a few lines controlling them, you start to recognize that chaos you are seeing is just the same lines repeated for each sail and spar on each mast. Then you'll start to appreciate how organized everything is on a sailing ship!

Keep going! It looks great!

While waiting on the parts fo the lights I have made some sub assemblies and started tree nailing the decks, happy with the results but not sure if they will show after painting, but at least it's done. In planning for the lights I have also started the captains cabin minus the roof, the roof is not hollow, its built up from layers of wood, filled with a putty then sanded.

To start the tree nails, I drilled a 0.8mm holes through the deck, stuck the tooth picks in and glued the other side, then trimmed and sanded.

20140726_125737.jpg 20140727_144623.jpg 20140731_082745.jpg

To achieve the curved back wall of the cabin I traced the curve on to a sanding block, cut out with my coping saw then gave a sand on a belt sander just to get a nice smooth surface. Popped the back wall into a bath of hot water for a couple of minutes while I heated up my sanding block in the microwave, Then put it in to my "mold" and clamped. It worked great.

20140728_173949.jpg 20140728_174005.jpg 20140728_180742.jpg

20140728_174531.jpg 20140729_130328.jpg 20140729_130350.jpg

20140731_082437.jpg

Thanks fo the comments.

Still waiting for some of the items to arrive for the lights, so I decided to add some balsa wood to the sides to "fatten" the hull, worked on getting the three (3) lanterns ready for the lights as well as marking up where the windows will go for the wheel house.

Also got some Brass Black, so I will start blackening all the brass and photo etch.

Added the balsa wood and sanded to give a better bulge look

20140806_144751.jpg 20140806_144618.jpg

Marking up of the windows, and starting the window frames from some styrene

20140813_072930.jpg 20140812_160006.jpg 20140813_072051.jpg

Carved up the tops of the lanterns and made some adjustments to the mermen, made new arms,The arms holding the bottom of the trident were molded as part of the body and top ones were joined onto their heads so after a bit of cutting and swearing, their poses are a bit more open also lengthened the tridents with led cathode cutt-off just soldered onto the ends.

20140809_153028.jpg 20140810_105409.jpg 20140813_072405.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back