Pacific Rim Uprising (Post-release)

What did you think of Pacific Rim Uprising?

• Total voters
Just saw it. My 3 year old son had the time of his life. For me, it was an ok sequel. Not as epic as the first, but good fun nonetheless. More daylight fights and more humor compared to the first one too. Nice to see some faces from the first movie back. CGI was a bit obvious in a lot of the scenes (especially since the fights are mostly during day). Last but not least, another movie that is obviously pandering to the Chinese market. 6 out of 10 for me.

Im supposed to see this tomorrow night with my girlfriends kid, apparently he is nuts for it. It seems from the trailers very transformers esque, with how much jumping and rollerblading they do. I really cant stand when movies pander to china, really takes me out of it and makes me not like the movie. Very frustrating. Ill post a review next week.

Just saw it. My life isn't changed or anything, but it's enjoyable enough. It delivers what you'd expect. Giant robots fighting monsters, check.

There is a problem with dialog clarity, however. I don't mean mixed too low, I mean mealy-mouthed delivery.

Doesn't look good--The Original had 71% RT Critics while this one is at 47%, and RT Audience was 77% for the original and this one has just 59% and dropping fast.

I saw it and thought it was an ok action movie. I liked the first more. Good visuals in the movie and I liked the story bump in the middle.

Re: Pacific Rim: Uprising

I’ve never seen them, but just watching the trailers I hate them because I think they are a ripoff of Neon Genesis Evangelion which has a super deep, riveting plot and amazing robot design, ...really ahead of it’s time scifi. I don’t know why they haven’t made the live action movies for that franchise.

To me Pacific Rim feels like the PG13 version of Disney’s G rated Real Steel...

This is definitely a kids movie. My GF's kid loved it, especially with the cute scrapper robot, there were some things to that were a little too far fetched for adults. The 15 year old girl building a yager, can pilot, knows how to fight etc? Put your suspension of disbelief high on this one. Overall though it was enjoyable, the cheese factor was high, but the monsters looked good, the CG was better than I thought it was going to be, and the charlie day twist was nice. I also saw it in IMAX for free so thats probably why Im ok with it. :lol

Just got back from seeing it. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good.

There was a lot more big scenes and battles. The CGI was slightly lacking, but I'll take a lot more things to see as a really nice compromise. They spent the money wisely. The action is nice and clear, it's not like razor-blades in a blender like Transformers.

The whole cast does fine. Boyega is more natural when he's not imitating a US accent. Scott Eastwood occasionally comes off like he's trying to be Clint.

The plot had some nice misdirection and twists. This writing is actually pretty good considering it's an action movie. No glaring plot holes or mistakes. I only expected a giant robots vs giant monster movie, and I was pleasantly surprised that the story was coherent and well done. The movie does end kind of abruptly.

Overall, I recommend seeing it. I'll definitely be buying it when it's out on disc. And I really hope they find a way to make part 3 and a Pacific Rim vs Godzilla or something like that.

Re: Pacific Rim: Uprising

I’ve never seen them, but just watching the trailers I hate them because I think they are a ripoff of Neon Genesis Evangelion which has a super deep, riveting plot and amazing robot design, ...really ahead of it’s time scifi. I don’t know why they haven’t made the live action movies for that franchise.

They're really not a rip off of Eva. Namely because they're an ode to the things EVA was ripping off: Gamera, Ultraman, Godzilla, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Giganter, VOTOMS, Gasaraki, Gunbuster, Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!, Macross, Giant Robo, Gaiking, etc etc. Guillermo Del Toro never watched EVA and instead drew on the mecha and kaiju films and media of his childhood, which are the same things Hideaki Anno drew on when making Evangelion. Which is why you get shout-outs to more modern anime through Travis Beacham like Eureka Seven, EVA, Mechwarrior, and Ghost in the Shell, but the plot shares more in common with Gaiking, Ultraman, and Getter Robo.

On a lighter note has anyone been able to locate files related to Scrapper? I've got a lot of concept art but all the stills from the film I can find are blurry action shots, and I'd like to try and make a suit for a friend.

I didn't like the beginning. The dialogue between John Boyega's character and that girl - absolute strangers - is very forced. And so many cuts in that action scene. It's the type of scene I didn't expect to see in a sequel of a GDT movie. It was very Bay-ish. Another thing is dialogue between the new jaeger pilots, specifically when they say something to each other and laugh. Do people actually think their quips are funny? They laugh hard at something I have a difficult time understanding how it can be funny. Or is it just what future people will consider funny? Whatever it is, it's f in stupid and it's done in so many mediocre movies and tv shows.

It started to feel like a Pacific Rim movie when they got into the jaegers. And it was pretty nice. The action was a bit faster paced; it wasn't so bad. I did get tired by the time the movie got to the third act - with the big one. I lost interest in the movie at that point.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back